Two of my current favorite are:

dale earnhardt jr jr
Andrew Jackson Jihad

always liked these two as well

CrazyHorse
And you will know us by the trail of dead
Alive or Just Breathing

e_wind

Worst band names for awesome bands: my morning jacket, pearl jam (my two faves, dammit), frightened rabbit, the head and the heart,  drive by truckers, Have Heart,

Best: Monsters of Folk, I am the Avalanche, Glassjaw, Cruel Hand, Jaw Breaker
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

manonthemoon

My all time worst has to be
The Beatles
followed closely by 
The eagles
Alive or Just Breathing

ericm

"Where's Jim going?"

EverythingChanges

Okay, My Morning Jacket is an awesome band name! I loved the name before I really began listening to them.  Pearl Jam, on the other hand, isn't the best name.

My least favorite names (off the top of my head) would have to be:
The String Cheese Incident
Foo Fighters
Phish
Meatloaf
The Eagles

My favorite names are:
My Morning Jacket
Menomena
Phosphorescent
Pink Floyd
Soundgarden (not a huge fan of the band, but they have a good name)
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Rush
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Ghosts_on_TV

John Cougar Concentration Camp
REO Speeddealer
Nashville Pussy
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Crispy

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Mar 13, 2013, 12:30 PM
John Cougar Concentration Camp
REO Speeddealer
Nashville Pussy

I like those clever mashup names too, like Brian Jonestown Massacre.

Other faves:
Led Zeppelin
Dread Zeppelin
Lez Zeppelin

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

rincon2

I love Drive By Truckers, in name and in music. My favorite name was a band who must have inspired Marilyn Manson to pick that name. Good and evil icons of the 20th century.  Elvis Hitler

Elvis Hitler - Disgraceland

he.who.forgets

I too like the Brian Jonestown Massacre
Some of my other favorites:
Black Joe Lewis & The Honey Bears
Built to Spill
Cheap Trick
The Dandy Warhols
A Tribe Called Quest
Faith No More
The Who
Japandroids
The Velvet Underground
Monsters of Folk
The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band
Sneaker Pimps
Sonic Youth

Can someone tell me...Is My Morning Jacket some sort of veiled masturbation reference? Someone told me that a couple weeks ago :huh:

Mr. White

I'm just adding some bands I like that haven't been mentioned here yet that have cool or at least interesting names.

The Band
Government Cheese (local band from Bowling Green, Ky. who started out in the 1980's)
Utopia (Todd Rundgren's band from the 1970's & 1980's)
System Of A Down
TOOL
The Doors
X
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Crispy

How could I forget the best band name OF ALL TIME: Free Beer
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

manonthemoon

A couple more:

Black Sabbath
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Alive or Just Breathing

EverythingChanges

I actually don't like the name The Band, its too confusing to mention it to someone who doesn't know about the band named The Band...  :shocked:
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

TheThird

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 13, 2013, 09:17 PM
How could I forget the best band name OF ALL TIME: Free Beer

One time, I was watching a dodgeball tournament on a cruise and one of the team's name was Free Beer. So when it came time for them to play, all the announcer said over the PA system was, "Next up: Free Beer!." The crowd took it to literally mean that there was free beer available  and the deck just erupted in chaos.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

Fully

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Mar 13, 2013, 08:47 PM

Can someone tell me...Is My Morning Jacket some sort of veiled masturbation reference? Someone told me that a couple weeks ago :huh:

I, who sees the sex reference in everything (I know, there's something wrong with me, but we all know that), have struggled to see any kind of sex reference in the name. I've often wondered if it's a thinly veiled reference to weed. That argument can easily be made. Hell, just google mmj by mistake. Pearl Jam, on the other hand is a band named after spooge. What was probably cool to some guys in their early 20's sounds a bit ridiculous for fathers in the 40's to have as the name of their band. If they had known they would achieve as much acclaim as they have, perhaps they wouldn't have named themselves after a gross byproduct of boning. Or maybe they still would have- they've been around so long now I rarely think about it anymore.

I do find My Morning Jacket to be a little long as a name and it just confuses people enough to be annoying, yet there's also something beautiful about it particularly when paired with It Still Moves. I remember back in the days everyone blogged. All of my blogger friends loved to promote My Morning Jacket It Still Moves which I still find beautiful -  all those words all phrased together. Hmm, I've covered spooge and beauty all in one post.

Penny Lane

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 13, 2013, 10:30 PM
I actually don't like the name The Band, its too confusing to mention it to someone who doesn't know about the band named The Band...  :shocked:

it's the only name for them..because they were THE BAND....the greatest....of all time...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

weeniebeenie

I always thought Dexys Midnight Runners was the coolest name.
How loud can silence get?

ericm

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Mar 13, 2013, 08:47 PM

Hmmmm, I don't think so, but.....

Jacket = clothes
Clothes = cover
Cover = one who substitutes for another

Therefore substitute "Wood" for Jacket, and that's about as close a reference as I can get. :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

HansAndreas

dmooney99

Gravity Kills
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
Fuck Buttons
Test Icicles
Butthole Surfers
Toad The Wet Sprocket