Jose Gonzalez - Junip

Started by APR, Mar 14, 2013, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

I think people on here would like this musician/band.  Anyone a fan? They're coming out with a new album and will be touring pretty soon.

His song "Heartbeats" from the album Veneer got me interested a couple of years ago.  Very cool, mellow voice.

www.junip.net has a song and video from the upcoming album.

EverythingChanges

Line of Fire is sick, I am looking forward to their new release.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Jaimoe

What's with "their" and "band". He's a solo artist, sometimes unaccompanied. Anyway, Jose is an awesome talent. The Swedes have it going on.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 15, 2013, 10:15 AM
What's with "their" and "band". He's a solo artist, sometimes unaccompanied. Anyway, Jose is an awesome talent. The Swedes have it going on.

Ah, I thought Jose did some solo stuff before forming Junip as a band.  Junip is still a band, even if Jose is really the only contributing member.  Sure Jose probably wrote all of the new album, but a lot of bands function that way.  Perhaps it is "his" music, but that doesn't deter the fact that there is multiple people performing the songs at the shows.

Jaimoe

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 15, 2013, 10:59 AM

Ah, I thought Jose did some solo stuff before forming Junip as a band.  Junip is still a band, even if Jose is really the only contributing member.  Sure Jose probably wrote all of the new album, but a lot of bands function that way.  Perhaps it is "his" music, but that doesn't deter the fact that there is multiple people performing the songs at the shows.

I stand corrected. I know Jose as a solo folk singer. So Junip is an Iron and Wine/Sam Beam kind of thing then?

capt. scotty

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 15, 2013, 01:11 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 15, 2013, 10:59 AM

I stand corrected. I know Jose as a solo folk singer. So Junip is an Iron and Wine/Sam Beam kind of thing then?

I guess thats a reasonable comparison, especially sound wise and the progressions. Jose has released solo albums and now Junip is a full band. Had their debut a couple years ago. Whereas Sam has only released material as I&W though, right? Im not sure how much of Junip's credit goes to Jose, but Im sure its most of it.

Junip - In Every Direction
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Mar 14, 2013, 11:04 PM
Line of Fire is sick, I am looking forward to their new release.

This.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

e-stone

Junip actually pre-dates José González solo work.  And it's always been the trio of José, Tobias Winterkorn and Elias Araya.  A nice bio can be found  here

Regardless, it's all incredibly wonderful stuff...and in whatever incarnation on my short list of must-see live in the near future.  our generations closest thing to Nick Drake IMO

José Gonzales - Heartbeats

APR

He (or they) have been on my list to see as well.  I don't think there have been U.S shows in several years.  I just got tickets to the 9:30 Club show in D.C.

I don't know about Iron and Wine.  I'd say it's kind of like Phish and Trey but not 100% as I don't know that much about Phish.  But the Junip trio has been together for a while and Jose goes and does solo stuff without them.

There is a great "Morning Becomes Eclectic" with just Jose and his guitar from Santa Monica 2007-10-11

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

Jaimoe

Quote from: APR on Mar 15, 2013, 05:38 PM
He (or they) have been on my list to see as well.  I don't think there have been U.S shows in several years.  I just got tickets to the 9:30 Club show in D.C.

I don't know about Iron and Wine.  I'd say it's kind of like Phish and Trey but not 100% as I don't know that much about Phish.  But the Junip trio has been together for a while and Jose goes and does solo stuff without them.

There is a great "Morning Becomes Eclectic" with just Jose and his guitar from Santa Monica 2007-10-11

Phish and Trey are very different. The dynamic in Phish is very much a group effort whereas Trey solo is just that. Liken Phish to any band with more than one leader.

sweatboard

Line Of Fire (Official Video)

I'm still trying to come to terms with this video...can't wait for part 2. 

MarkW

Jose live is great - I saw him just after Veneer and his musicianship blew me away.

I think we need the BananaBear to give us the skinny on Junip and his other works.  SBB, where are you?
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Angelo

Junip is the shit, love them. Everything I've heard from their EPs to the full length is can't miss. This is great news that they have a new album coming out!

For as much as I like them I've never bothered to check out his solo work. I guess I need to do that.

APR

Quote from: Angelo on Mar 19, 2013, 04:59 PM
Junip is the shit, love them. Everything I've heard from their EPs to the full length is can't miss. This is great news that they have a new album coming out!

For as much as I like them I've never bothered to check out his solo work. I guess I need to do that.

Interesting.  I heard Jose first, which led me to check out Junip later.  Both are great.  Line of Fire is a great single. 

Angelo

Quote from: APR on Mar 20, 2013, 04:46 PM
Quote from: Angelo on Mar 19, 2013, 04:59 PM

Interesting.  I heard Jose first, which led me to check out Junip later.  Both are great.  Line of Fire is a great single.
Yeah, that seems to be the case with most people APR. Any recommendations on where a Junip fan should start with Jose's solo stuff would be appreciated.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: MarkW on Mar 19, 2013, 04:03 PM
Jose live is great - I saw him just after Veneer and his musicianship blew me away.

I think we need the BananaBear to give us the skinny on Junip and his other works.  SBB, where are you?

I'm here! Just a bit slow... :thumbsup: First there was some hardcore band (dunno the name but José + Elias) Junip (José + Elias + Tobias), then there was some soloing, then there was Junip again. And from what I hear he's very, very shy. And... that's pretty much all I know that I can think of. Here's some pretty music:

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

SaraBananaBear

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

sweatboard

anyone watch part II yet.  I'd love to get some takes. 

Junip - Your Life Your Call (Official Video)

EverythingChanges

Quote from: sweatboard on Apr 25, 2013, 08:20 PM
anyone watch part II yet.  I'd love to get some takes. 

Junip - Your Life Your Call (Official Video)

The end of part II really confuses me.  Were they both his lover?  Or, is the boy supposed to be Satan?  There was a biblical reference in the first part.

What is everyone's impressions on the new album?  I just started listening to it.