Main Menu

The McLovins

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 06, 2013, 10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Great young band!  Finally catching them tonight. Amazing talent with some growing pains. Can't wait to see where they go from here. New album on the horizon. Great originals, covers of the Dead, The Band, Allmans...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

he.who.forgets

I was in shock the first time I saw a video of these guys...they couldnt have been 15-16 and they were shredding.  Definitely a lot of talent there...

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

Turns out the original lineup was just 3 guys.  The guitarist on this tune, Deep Monster Trance, left and was replaced by two guys, one of whom rocks the keys, too (see above).  So this was the original McLovins.  Would have loved to see the original guitarist.  Remember, they are in high school when this was done... it really rocks out just before the 5:00 mark.

Deep Monster Trance by McLovins

EverythingChanges

These guys are fantastic! I've seen a song they do called Samson on Youtube, but I can't find it on any of their albums!

What album do you recommend starting with John?
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

davymac

Wow, these guys rock! Thanks for sharing!

johnnYYac

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Apr 08, 2013, 11:31 AM
These guys are fantastic! I've seen a song they do called Samson on Youtube, but I can't find it on any of their albums!

What album do you recommend starting with John?
Well, they just finished an album and hope to release it in a month or two.  I believe it is the first album with the new lineup.  I'll post when I know more.

The only album of their's I've snagged is Good Catch, from 2010.  Its on iTunes and Amazon ($1 cheaper than iTunes).  Its really good. 

EDIT: Well, I've done gone and downloaded Conundrum and Who Knows (which contains the track "Cohesive", co-written by Phish lyricist Tom Marshall and his partner Anthony Krizan (of Spin Doctors fame)), too. 

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

The McLovins Live at Toad's Place, New Haven, CT  2012-11-02
(current lineup, with some nice trumpet tossed in)

01. Tokyo Tea >
02. TETOP
03. Cohesive >
04. Scarlet Begonias >
05. Cripple Creek
06. Good To Go
07. Yankee Rose
08. Sampson >
09. Shivers >
10. The Weight

"http://archive.org/details/mclovins2012-11-02.octava.gott"

EverythingChanges

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 08, 2013, 07:27 PM
The McLovins Live at Toad's Place, New Haven, CT  2012-11-02
(current lineup, with some nice trumpet tossed in)

01. Tokyo Tea >
02. TETOP
03. Cohesive >
04. Scarlet Begonias >
05. Cripple Creek
06. Good To Go
07. Yankee Rose
08. Sampson >
09. Shivers >
10. The Weight

"http://archive.org/details/mclovins2012-11-02.octava.gott"

I downloaded this exact show earlier today.  :thumbsup:

I want their new album to come out soon, because I want some keyboard action with the new lineup.

EverythingChanges

It looks like they also have a live recording for sale on their site for $12.

johnnYYac

The McLovins - Deep Monster Trance (from "Good Catch")

blown away for 12 minutes  :shocked:

capt. scotty

I am so happy yet sad to have read this thread and discovered this band. I have been listening to them for the better part of a week now almost non-stop, and love them. That said, Jeff Howard WAS The McLovins, and this band is not the same without him.

While the new songs are pretty good (Samson, Man In A Blue Coat, and Yankee Rose my favorites), theyre missing what made them special, and the new guitarists (especially the one who plays keys) are not all that good or interesting, and have no stage presence. Little axelovin' couldnt only shred, but he is also fun to watch and his passion and energy for the music really shines in their live videos. The drummer and bassist are quite good in their own right, but it shouldnt come as a surprise they needed 2 guitarists to even attempt to replace axelovin', and have totally changed their sound.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 16, 2013, 05:18 PM
I am so happy yet sad to have read this thread and discovered this band. I have been listening to them for the better part of a week now almost non-stop, and love them. That said, Jeff Howard WAS The McLovins, and this band is not the same without him.

While the new songs are pretty good (Samson, Man In A Blue Coat, and Yankee Rose my favorites), theyre missing what made them special, and the new guitarists (especially the one who plays keys) are not all that good or interesting, and have no stage presence. Little axelovin' couldnt only shred, but he is also fun to watch and his passion and energy for the music really shines in their live videos. The drummer and bassist are quite good in their own right, but it shouldnt come as a surprise they needed 2 guitarists to even attempt to replace axelovin', and have totally changed their sound.
I agree, having first discovered McLovins a few years ago when they were a three piece.  The original guitarist was phenomenal.  But, seeing them in person, growing pains evident, I see a pretty good band with potential.  I kind of see these two line ups as two completely different bands.  I was at their show, last week up in NH, and after the first set break, they rocked out and got everyone dancing!  I had to go before they finished, heading into a 3+ hour set.  They're all still young, probably not drinking age, so there's room for this 4-piece to get tighter.  Still a great $5 show! And since we didn't get charged, I bought some of their albums (all with Jeff Howard) and a live show, Jam Around the Globe.  This new crew has an album in the can, currently being mastered, that I'm looking forward to picking up.

EverythingChanges

I sorta of like what Atticus (the keyboardist) brings to the new mix.  I miss the keyboards from their earlier stuff.  Jam bands need a keyboardist; it adds an extra layer of depth.  MMJ's live jams wouldn't be the same without Bo's keys. 

On a side note, Tetop is awesome! Love the back-up vocals.

capt. scotty

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 16, 2013, 05:18 PM

I agree, having first discovered McLovins a few years ago when they were a three piece.  The original guitarist was phenomenal.  But, seeing them in person, growing pains evident, I see a pretty good band with potential.  I kind of see these two line ups as two completely different bands.  I was at their show, last week up in NH, and after the first set break, they rocked out and got everyone dancing!  I had to go before they finished, heading into a 3+ hour set.  They're all still young, probably not drinking age, so there's room for this 4-piece to get tighter.  Still a great $5 show! And since we didn't get charged, I bought some of their albums (all with Jeff Howard) and a live show, Jam Around the Globe.  This new crew has an album in the can, currently being mastered, that I'm looking forward to picking up.

I think I actually listened to the new songs (I believe theres 11 of them on their youtube page, presumably all or vast majority being what comprises their upcoming album) first last week, and I liked what I was hearing for the most part, but in the comments section you would keep seeing things like "Where's McLovin?", "What happened to your boss guitarist?!", "Jeff made your band", etc etc and my initial thoughts were, I dont know, these guys are pretty good. Then I started listening to their albums from oldest to newest (actually all live clips of Conundrum bc its not on Spotify), and its easy to come to the same conclusion as these people. I really think their songwriting was improving with each album, so its disappointing to not see what could have been. I also think Axelovin' is a perfect fit for a rhythm driven, funky jam band trio like the McLovins were, which makes it more disappointing. It really gave the room for his talent to be up front and center, and he stole the spotlight.

I do agree with much of what you said though. I hadnt actually listened to the new stuff again until last night - I was digging Good Catch, Who Knows, and old live clips too much - and the new stuff is good, but it just doesnt grab me like The McLovins with Jeff did/do. Also viewing them as 2 different bands is probably the way to go, as difficult as it is for me at this point. I do think with the new lineup, theyve begun to focus more on the lyrics, and there is definite improvement in that aspect, and IMO it was a necessary change because this new lineup wouldnt be worth listening to without solid songwriting/lyrics. It feels they went from a band typically with goofy lyrics and funk based in the mold of Phish to now a more blues, vocal harmonies type band that echoes the Dead much more. As you said, the potential appears to be there, and thats probably the most interesting thing for me is to see how good they can become.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Apr 17, 2013, 01:02 AM
I sorta of like what Atticus (the keyboardist) brings to the new mix.  I miss the keyboards from their earlier stuff.  Jam bands need a keyboardist; it adds an extra layer of depth.  MMJ's live jams wouldn't be the same without Bo's keys. 

I wouldnt say any band NEEDS a keys player, but its always nice to have that added dimension. People were saying when the band was still a trio they should add a keys player. If you ask me, do I want Axelovin or do I want the new guys with keys, its Axelovin and its not even close. Its not so much a question of having a keyboard, but more that these guys at first glance to me arent very good/interesting at guitar. Jam bands also need a great guitarist, and they lost that. Here is Tokyo Tea with both lineups. Old lineup jam is from 3 minutes to just past 5 minutes. New lineup the jam is from just over 3 minutes to about 6:30. The thing is, its not just the solos where Jeff blows them out of the water, its just playing the music in general, during the verses. He adds style, guitar effects, throws in some small additions to change it up. New guys seem more focused on not messing up a chord. The new guitarists can barely interplay with each other let alone the rest of the band. And they had been playing together for nearly a year with that new lineup, so that isnt an excuse. As Ive said a couple times, new lineup is still good, but with Jeff they were something special and couldve been great.

The McLovins Perform "Tokyo Tea" at Gathering of the Vibes 2011

"Tokyo Tea" ~ The McLovin's 9-9-12 Catskill Chill Music Festival

johnnYYac

"It feels they went from a band typically with goofy lyrics and funk based in the mold of Phish to now a more blues, vocal harmonies type band that echoes the Dead much more. As you said, the potential appears to be there, and thats probably the most interesting thing for me is to see how good they can become."

Maybe, since I've really no experience with Phish, and lots of experience with the Dead, I'm coping with the line up change a bit better than you.  :grin:  And seeing them live helps.  Its still rough around the edges, and maybe they'll never get beyond this level.  I'll be curious for the new album, coming out in a month or so.

johnnYYac

A stark contrast, Scotty, those Tokyo Tea vids.  J. Howard was exceptional.  Wonder why he left the band...

capt. scotty

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 17, 2013, 07:40 PM
"It feels they went from a band typically with goofy lyrics and funk based in the mold of Phish to now a more blues, vocal harmonies type band that echoes the Dead much more. As you said, the potential appears to be there, and thats probably the most interesting thing for me is to see how good they can become."

Maybe, since I've really no experience with Phish, and lots of experience with the Dead, I'm coping with the line up change a bit better than you.  :grin:  And seeing them live helps.  Its still rough around the edges, and maybe they'll never get beyond this level.  I'll be curious for the new album, coming out in a month or so.

The Phish vs Dead comparison wasnt meant to be a positive or a negative, at least for me, but simply that its not only the band that has been restructured, but their sound has as well, and to an alarming degree. They have done numerous covers of both bands, so Im sure theyre a fan of both as well. The change in sound probably has as much to do with Jeff's fast paced style being similar to Trey Anastasio as much as anything, and these new guys just cant play at that level. If nothing else, I give them credit for the style change and not trying to play beyond their means with the current lineup. They should never even attempt to play Deep Monster Trance again.

It looks like youve heard at least a few of the new songs (probably more since you saw them live recently), but as I said in that previous post, they have 11 new songs on their youtube page that I suspect will comprise much of the new album. I really do like almost all of the songs. They need to turn up Basslovin' though! Here's a link to their page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/drummercl?feature=