Joining Roll Call

Started by EverythingChanges, Apr 20, 2013, 12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

I've never subscribed to MMJ's roll call before, mainly because of the head ache people seem to have when dealing with it. 

Would it be worth subscribing to, if MMJ hardly tours this year? (Assuming I will have to pay another $30 next year). 

Also, how does the point system work?  I'd love to get one of the album art T-Shirts.

Thanks guys and gals!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

johnnYYac

In all honesty, the way Roll Call operates, via ground(ctrl), is maddening. That said, I've always felt I've gotten my money's worth. Roll Call presale for Jim in Boston went pretty well and early entry is a nice deal, when it works. Getting a Reno and Fung print and shirt these past two years covers the up front cost, IMHO, though I've no idea what the third year package might look like. Jim's slip about opening for Dylan has accelerated interest across the interweb, so competition from 2-3 fan bases for tix might make Roll Call worth while.

For every fiasco (Forecastle pit, Philly RC presale, PC early entry), there have been great RC moments (soundcheck parties w/posters, Under the Overpass, early entry that worked).
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

APR

The $35 is worth knowing that you will be eligible to get in on any special things the band has going on.  It would be a bummer to miss out on a special offer or event for  Roll Callers only.  Maybe a fan club only show (PJ has done it in the past) or limited edition merch or who knows.

The poster, shirt, signed certificate in 2011, access to good seats early is all good too.

johnnYYac

Looks like new Roll Call 2013 packages are out.

The Roll Call Original 2013 Membership Package includes:

- Access to purchase Fan Club presale tickets to MMJ shows**
- Access to purchase VIP packages for MMJ shows**
- 1 free live show download redemption code*

- Roll Call "First Entry" laminate allowing first entry to all shows where applicable
- Exclusive new MMJ poster
- End of the year exclusive MMJ 7"

As a member of Roll Call, you also gain access to these exclusive areas of mymorningjacket.com:

- Exclusive Q&A videos with members of the band
- Exclusive photos from the road taken by members of the band
- Exclusive members-only forum
- Members-only commenting, friending, blogs and more social features
- Members-only Chat
- Members-only Contests and Campaigns
- Exclusive Archive section of the site, housing all set lists from past MMJ shows
- Exclusive music via the Self Hypnosis Series

$30.00

johnnYYac

There's also an "online" version for half the price...

The Roll Call Online 2013 Membership Package includes:

- Access to purchase Fan Club presale tickets to MMJ shows**
- Access to purchase VIP packages for MMJ shows**
- 1 free live show download redemption code *

As a member of Roll Call, you also gain access to these exclusive areas of mymorningjacket.com:

- Exclusive Q&A videos with members of the band
- Exclusive photos from the road taken by members of the band
- Exclusive members-only forum
- Members-only commenting, friending, blogs and more social features
- Members-only Chat
- Members-only Contests and Campaigns
- Exclusive Archive section of the site, housing all set lists from past MMJ shows
- Exclusive music via the Self Hypnosis Series

$15.00

(Looks like no poster, 7", or laminate)

subinai

is that a status poster?

why do they even bother putting the self hypnosis series as a selling point? its a song a year.

johnnYYac

Quote from: subinai on Apr 20, 2013, 07:13 PM
is that a status poster?
Probably.  He posted on Facebook a while back (3/20) that he was working on something for MMJ, which I assumed was the new Roll Call poster. 

subinai

oh damn you are right. i even commented on that post too. wooooops!

EverythingChanges

Question:

If I purchase roll call tonight, is there a way I can get early entry into the Columbus show this Tuesday?  I doubt I'd have the laminate by then, but if I spend the $30 now, I'd like to be able to do that.  Otherwise I'd hold off on roll call until I heard more about the Dylan/MMJ tour (that way my subscription would last longer into next year without renewing).

johnnYYac

Quote from: subinai on Apr 20, 2013, 08:04 PM
oh damn you are right. i even commented on that post too. wooooops!
Too funny! I did see and recognize your real name, but had forgotten you were subinai. .

EverythingChanges

Also it appears the cheapest shipping cost is $16?!  For a poster and 7" that they choose to give us for joining their roll call?

subinai

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Apr 20, 2013, 11:07 PM
Also it appears the cheapest shipping cost is $16?!  For a poster and 7" that they choose to give us for joining their roll call?

then choose the online version - nothing to ship?

EverythingChanges

Quote from: subinai on Apr 20, 2013, 11:12 PM

No lament that way unfortunately.  I'll probably get the $30 version, but I just want to spend $30, not damn near $50 when it is all said and done. 

Fully

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Apr 20, 2013, 11:15 PM
Quote from: subinai on Apr 20, 2013, 11:12 PM

No lament that way unfortunately.  I'll probably get the $30 version, but I just want to spend $30, not damn near $50 when it is all said and done.
That's not going to happen if you want that laminate.

subinai

i hear you. $20 on shipping is frustrating since there are clearly better ways to go about this. not sure what groundctrl's set up or workflow is... or even if its possible for them to look into alternatives... but $20 is $20. if they charged $50 shipping for owl's to fly in the roll call packages i would find a way to justify it.  :wink:

EverythingChanges

If I did this, would I be able to gain early entry into the Cbus show by emailing ground cntrl by tomorrow? 

Sheets Of Clay

No early entry unless you buy the more expensive membership? That's gotta be wrong.

TheThird

I'm a fan of the 2013 Roll Call Packages! The free live show, 7", and poster almost pay for the entire cost by themselves (Well that's before the insane shipping cost...). And of course the early entry, presale, etc are nice perks too  :thumbsup:

I also like the idea of having different tiers of packages.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

Fully

Quote from: Sheets Of Clay on Apr 21, 2013, 12:00 AM
No early entry unless you buy the more expensive membership? That's gotta be wrong.
Why? That's the whole reason we buy these things, plus the presales. Of course they are going to do that. They do this to make money, Sheets. It isn't all about helping the fans.

EverythingChanges

I sucked it up and joined today.  I emailed RollCallLam@gmail.com today to ask about whether I can gain early entrance into the show on the 23rd.  Anyone know if this is possible at all without the laminate since I emailed them?

Also, I did not receive a download code to get a live show in my email.  Any ideas?