Stereogum ranks the band's albums

Started by ulysses, Apr 26, 2013, 05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

Quote from: ulysses on Apr 30, 2013, 08:43 PM
TTF is an amazing album, and I like it more than Circuital personally.

Thank you. Then you should re-number your list accordingly.  :thumbsup:

You're a terrific writer and I applaud your efforts, but speak from your heart. Stand each album alone in infinity against nothing. Eliminate context because in the end, all that matters is what you hear not where the band was at in the narrative or where they had to come from. (For what it's worth, EU is a complicated construction of music with some really amazing songs mixed in with some 'let's try and see' songs, but it didn't lower expectations so low that Circuital had nowhere had to go but up. I see what you're saying, to take the songs as an album and not on the merit of each song, but that's really hard and doesn't do justice to the songs on TTF, which are timeless, whereas after next year, no one will be listening to Circuital. There is no hate for Circuital, the songs are incredible live as is most things MMJ do, but album wise, it doesn't compare with the albums that precede it.)

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 30, 2013, 08:17 PM

These are opinions I do not hold, but I understand why some might hold them.   

Sad, but more for us!

Yes! ...and Yes!   

(lol--I DO NOT KNOW WHY I AM SHOUTING LIKE TEO!)

ulysses

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 30, 2013, 10:20 PM

You're a terrific writer and I applaud your efforts, but speak from your heart. Stand each album alone in infinity against nothing. Eliminate context because in the end, all that matters is what you hear not where the band was at in the narrative or where they had to come from. (For what it's worth, EU is a complicated construction of music with some really amazing songs mixed in with some 'let's try and see' songs, but it didn't lower expectations so low that Circuital had nowhere had to go but up. I see what you're saying, to take the songs as an album and not on the merit of each song, but that's really hard and doesn't do justice to the songs on TTF, which are timeless, whereas after next year, no one will be listening to Circuital. There is no hate for Circuital, the songs are incredible live as is most things MMJ do, but album wise, it doesn't compare with the albums that precede it.)

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the writing! The idea of how much to weigh context is something I still debate. I do still think it's relevant, and to a certain degree inevitable—even if you try to view these things in a vacuum, that is impossible because you carry the knowledge of their circumstance with you. In addition, while the idea of objective criticism is faulty and these things are always going to be dependent on subjective taste, I do think that the difference between listing your personal favorites here on the forums or on your own blog and writing one for a professional music blog is that you do have to bring in the concerns of larger narrative, context, importance, etc. All that being said, you make a fair point that TTF may wind up being more timeless than Circuital, even if I feel like it's harsh to say people won't be listening to it by next year (that said, I already confessed I don't listen to EU the whole way through, so you may have a point there as well).
I'll admit though that the timelessness argument strikes a chord with me enough that yeah, were I going to do this again TTF maybe would've crept up...

Penny Lane

Quote from: ulysses on Apr 30, 2013, 10:58 PM

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the writing! The idea of how much to weigh context is something I still debate. I do still think it's relevant, and to a certain degree inevitable—even if you try to view these things in a vacuum, that is impossible because you carry the knowledge of their circumstance with you. In addition, while the idea of objective criticism is faulty and these things are always going to be dependent on subjective taste, I do think that the difference between listing your personal favorites here on the forums or on your own blog and writing one for a professional music blog is that you do have to bring in the concerns of larger narrative, context, importance, etc. All that being said, you make a fair point that TTF may wind up being more timeless than Circuital, even if I feel like it's harsh to say people won't be listening to it by next year (that said, I already confessed I don't listen to EU the whole way through, so you may have a point there as well).
I'll admit though that the timelessness argument strikes a chord with me enough that yeah, were I going to do this again TTF maybe would've crept up...

That's why I could never write professionally in music. I'll leave it up to you objective people and your music metric system.  :cool:

Oh and welcome back!

EverythingChanges

Ulysses, your article was interesting. I always love reading the top countdown style lists, so thank you. But I agree with Penny on this.  Go with your gut and your heart.  If you personally like TTF more than Circuital, then place it higher. 

I tried to make a list, but I couldn't decide which album should be higher between EU and TTF, and At Dawn and Z.  EU introduced me to the band and has very dark Floydish style songs that I dig, and it has a great overall theme.  TTF has an overall better song lineup that translates so well live.  At Dawn and Z would definitely tie for second place in my book.  However, perhaps Z has the fuller sound.  It Still Moves would probably take the crown in my book.  Or maybe Steam Engine takes it for itself :P.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Fully

I really don't think it matters where the album fits ever. All that matters is which one you like better deep in your heart.  I don't care where an album fits in a band's narrative when I'm thinking about how much I like an album compared to others. I do think context is essential background information that's nice to provide to your readers, but I can't ever imagine using it to help me rank an album. Yes, I love Victory Dance, but on the whole Circuital is the band's weakest, most watered down release. Maybe in order to get larger crowds, you have to put out things like this, but I believe that if you give a challenging, interesting album to the world, the world will respond accordingly. Some of these songs have improved live, but that still doesn't mean I ever listen to the album. In fact, I don't even judge TTF by the fact that the songs are now monsters in the band's live shows. If I judge an album, then I judge it based on it's own merits, not what comes after it's release. TTF is a far superior album to  Circuital. If any context should be used to judge it, it is the state of music when it was released. And when it came out, it was earth shattering to me. There wasn't anything out there like it. And it fucking blew me away. In fact, I was disgusted with most music that I found during that time period, but TTF made me give modern music another chance. I can't say that about the last two albums, but At Dawn I can. And I can say that ISM, and Z are very strong members of the catalogue, even though I don't hate EU like some do, I just think of it as a collection of songs more than I do a complete work in and of itself.

ulysses

Quote from: EverythingChanges on May 01, 2013, 01:07 AM

Or maybe Steam Engine takes it for itself :P.

If I ever wind up doing Stereogum's other feature—Top Ten Songs—for MMJ...well, first of all, that's making me anxious just thinking about how difficult it'd be, but I think "Steam Engine" would be a contender for the top spot in my opinion.

Fully

Quote from: ulysses on May 01, 2013, 10:03 AM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on May 01, 2013, 01:07 AM

Or maybe Steam Engine takes it for itself :P.

If I ever wind up doing Stereogum's other feature—Top Ten Songs—for MMJ...well, first of all, that's making me anxious just thinking about how difficult it'd be, but I think "Steam Engine" would be a contender for the top spot in my opinion.

If you want to know what we think about it, here's the breakdown of our favorite songs although some lost early due to unfair brackets

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,16660.0.html

johnnYYac

And here's our collective album rankings from another thread:

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,17309.0.html

At Dawn
It Still Moves
Z
The Tennessee Fire
Evil Urges
Circuital

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wolof7

Will I get kicked off this forum if I agree with his list completely? I would say that ISM and Z are interchangeable IMHO, depending on which MMJ I'm looking for.

I love TTF but its hard to overlook its sketchbook feel; and as a lo-fi work I can find it to be a bit too sprawling for its own good as I feel it struggles to keep me entertained through its 4th quarter a bit, on top of the fact it contains an early non-studio tested version of the band. Of course these are my feelings. Be that as it may its a huge showcase for Jim's voice and songwriting and I generally be the most excited to hear these songs live as I feel they are the most rarely played.

I myself am also surprised with the hate for Circuital. I feel like ending on 2 softer songs was a misfire but as an album whole its great. 1st light, YWFO and the title track are a bit rock-by-numbers but they are still fun. I also agree with Ulysses that the first run of songs on that album is very strong.

Of course this is all about personal preference and that changes for some, like me, sometimes frequently. I can honestly say my tastes when it comes to MMJ studio falls in line with this writer and the reasons he has spoken to in his exceptional article.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

e_wind

Yes. Have a nice life. Of course by nice I mean terrible.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mahgeetah

This was a great article that was written for a very popular indie music site, and the author did a good job, imo, of writing an article for the Stereogum audience, not to mention some of the standards set for their countdown articles.

While I might toggle an album or two from his list, my list probably changes from month to month and year to year. So the "follow your heart" logic.... well that just isn't that logical when the premise is to create a somewhat objective list that stands up to a diverse audience of readers. The author is clearly a major MMJ fan and isn't being a snob with any of his opinions or analysis. So kudos to him for the hard work and bringing some very positive attention and analysis to MMJ on Stereogum. Thanks for getting me to think about my favorite band a little more.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: wolof7 on May 05, 2013, 07:53 AM
Will I get kicked off this forum if I agree with his list completely? I would say that ISM and Z are interchangeable IMHO, depending on which MMJ I'm looking for.

I love TTF but its hard to overlook its sketchbook feel; and as a lo-fi work I can find it to be a bit too sprawling for its own good as I feel it struggles to keep me entertained through its 4th quarter a bit, on top of the fact it contains an early non-studio tested version of the band. Of course these are my feelings. Be that as it may its a huge showcase for Jim's voice and songwriting and I generally be the most excited to hear these songs live as I feel they are the most rarely played.

I myself am also surprised with the hate for Circuital. I feel like ending on 2 softer songs was a misfire but as an album whole its great. 1st light, YWFO and the title track are a bit rock-by-numbers but they are still fun. I also agree with Ulysses that the first run of songs on that album is very strong.

Of course this is all about personal preference and that changes for some, like me, sometimes frequently. I can honestly say my tastes when it comes to MMJ studio falls in line with this writer and the reasons he has spoken to in his exceptional article.

I'll back you up Wolof, I'm also one of the few that agrees with this list. Z was my intro and I will probably always have it in my top spot.

1. Z
2. TIE - It Still Moves, At Dawn
3. Circuital
4. The Tennessee Fire
5. Evil Urges
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!