"One Big Holiday" in MEXICO!!

Started by parkervb, Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

No wonder I got confused by the beachfront pics. 2 newly refurbished Hard Rocks in the same area. I know I ain't the only one confused about that. Arial view of actual spot.     
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=hard+rock+riviera+maya&data=!1m4!1m3!1d1654!2d-87.2143041!3d20.5068487!2m1!1e3!4m10!1m9!4m8!1m3!1d46736!2d-119.0340535!3d34.2220485!3m2!1i1280!2i680!4f13.1&fid=7

layin low

Good news, sounding like NO REPEATS! From Jim in a RS article:

Quote"We'll probably play most of our catalog. We've got enough music where we don't have to do any repeats. Every night will be completely different, and we can play deep cuts and throw some covers in. It's going to be really awesome."

Full story here

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jim-james-on-touring-with-bob-dylan-he-does-not-hang-20131101

subinai

i hope everybody isnt too hungover or drunk to post the setlists here.

and i really hope the turn around on getting the official bootlegs uploaded isn't too long :)

EverythingChanges

Quote from: layin low on Nov 01, 2013, 01:08 PM
Good news, sounding like NO REPEATS! From Jim in a RS article:

Quote"We'll probably play most of our catalog. We've got enough music where we don't have to do any repeats. Every night will be completely different, and we can play deep cuts and throw some covers in. It's going to be really awesome."

Full story here

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jim-james-on-touring-with-bob-dylan-he-does-not-hang-20131101

Jim's interview pretty much sums up what irked me about Dylan in this article.  Sure, he's a legend and deserves all of his credit, but he should have the decency to respect his tour mates.

I don't care what anyone says; Dylan's set was horrendous.  His classics were unrecognizable. 

back to topic:

I'm glad that those of you who are lucky enough to go, get to experience their entire back catalogue.  I be jealous.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Stevie

Okay so after going through 2 other flare ups of "I need to go to this," and then dampening them both down with all sorts of reality, I've decided to put serious effort into making this happen.  Megan and I have two obstacles:

1.  The child.  Her daughter is in kindergarten and even if we can make it back Thursday we'll need to find someone to baby sit as well as house sit.  Currently mustering various family members to take shifts.  The grandmother has the most time (retired) but is being very adamant about the fact that we 'should be saving our money instead of blowing it on a concert.'  Clearly she doesn't understand  :grin: 

2.  School.  Missing four days of classes in the second week of the semester is no big deal.  But I am an undergrad RA in 3 different psych. labs.  I have some pretty (understandably) overbearing grad students to answer to so my excuse will have to be very good.  On that note, I'm now taking suggestions for such an excuse. 

If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, but we are going to do everything in our power. 

MrWhippy

DO IT STEVIE!!!!  I'd love to add Mexico to the list of places I've partied with you guys (Louisville, Red Rocks, Port Chester, NYC).
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

gluvmiller

Quote from: Stevie on Nov 03, 2013, 07:42 PM
Okay so after going through 2 other flare ups of "I need to go to this," and then dampening them both down with all sorts of reality, I've decided to put serious effort into making this happen.  Megan and I have two obstacles:

1.  The child.  Her daughter is in kindergarten and even if we can make it back Thursday we'll need to find someone to baby sit as well as house sit.  Currently mustering various family members to take shifts.  The grandmother has the most time (retired) but is being very adamant about the fact that we 'should be saving our money instead of blowing it on a concert.'  Clearly she doesn't understand  :grin: 

Stevie
Is it out of the question to take the daughter with you? We're taking our 3 kids. You're going to find easy babysitting in the resort during the shows. These are people screened by the resort and you only need during the concerts. You'll also have the ability to check in during set break. I know it adds to the cost of the plane tickets, but I don't remember the cost for the young kids in the resort being that much. Just an idea. Gives your girlfriend a pretty cool bonding experience with her daughter. Plus, would this possibly be her first concert? That wouldn't be a bad thing to brag about. It will be our youngest's 1st concert.

azure317

It will be our son's 1st "real" concert.
He just turned 4 & is really looking forward to it!
"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

gluvmiller

Quote from: azure317 on Nov 04, 2013, 11:08 AM

That's awesome. My sone will turn 5 right before these shows and he is very excited as well. His favorite song is Wonderful and asks me to play it all the time. It's very cute. He knows his timeline right now. he knows after Christmas is his bday and then after that he goes to Mexico. We should try and get our boys together.

Are you on Facebook? If so I created a private group to connect people going to OBH. If want in, let me know.

layin low

Quote from: gluvmiller on Nov 04, 2013, 12:58 PM

That's awesome. My sone will turn 5 right before these shows and he is very excited as well. His favorite song is Wonderful and asks me to play it all the time. It's very cute. He knows his timeline right now. he knows after Christmas is his bday and then after that he goes to Mexico. We should try and get our boys together.

Are you on Facebook? If so I created a private group to connect people going to OBH. If want in, let me know.

I'd like in on that, gluv. How do I go abt doing it?

gluvmiller

Pretty sure I just added you Matt. It's pretty fun and a nice place to get kinda freaky where you don't feel like you're rubbing it in to those unable to attend. It also keeps some of the freaky rants away from family and co-workers (that is if they don't already know you're a freak).

MrWhippy

Quote from: gluvmiller on Nov 04, 2013, 04:58 PM
Pretty sure I just added you Matt. It's pretty fun and a nice place to get kinda freaky where you don't feel like you're rubbing it in to those unable to attend. It also keeps some of the freaky rants away from family and co-workers (that is if they don't already know you're a freak).

But freaking out your non-obsessive friends/coworkers/family with your dastardly musical antics is half the fun of being an obsessed live music fanatic.

gluvmiller

Can't argue with that MrWhippy. My family has pretty much accepted it after my early years chasing the Grateful Dead in the 80s followed by Widespread Panic. So now adding a new obsession with MMJ is not big surprise. The great part of this sequence is we're now exposing our children to music obsession.

azure317

Quote from: gluvmiller on Nov 04, 2013, 12:58 PM

Wow, that's a great song for a 4 yr old to like!  I catch my son walking around singing Holdin on to Black Metal!

Yes, please add me... https://www.facebook.com/kerriann.ganley
Thanks!!

ItBeats4Jew

looks like the Hard Rock Riviera Maya built out their website a bit recently:

http://www.hrhrivieramaya.com/

what Madonna said really helped

scosby2

Quote from: unravelled on Oct 23, 2013, 11:32 PM
Am I the only one concerned that this means normal show lengths for MMJ?  Was hoping for bonnaroo or red rocks style marathon sets.  I feel like I am to Christopher Walken as MMJ is to cowbell.

Thoughts?

This will have no impact whatsoever on MMJ's set length...it's gonna be a marathon, don't you worry

azure317

Quote from: scosby2 on Nov 05, 2013, 09:36 PM
Quote from: unravelled on Oct 23, 2013, 11:32 PM
Am I the only one concerned that this means normal show lengths for MMJ?  Was hoping for bonnaroo or red rocks style marathon sets.  I feel like I am to Christopher Walken as MMJ is to cowbell.

Thoughts?

This will have no impact whatsoever on MMJ's set length...it's gonna be a marathon, don't you worry

Truly hate to be a downer, but this is on the OBH site,"After a night of rocking and rolling, the perfect nightcap will be hearing Garza put his eclectic spin on One Big Holiday!"

Each night after MMJ?? Hoping that means they will still do marathon sets!!!!

gluvmiller

Truly hate to be a downer, but this is on the OBH site,"After a night of rocking and rolling, the perfect nightcap will be hearing Garza put his eclectic spin on One Big Holiday!"

[/quote]

Yeah, I think you have to stop worrying. Obviously not the same, but still a Cloud9 event, at the Panic excursions they had late night DJs which in no way affected the show lengths. It was just an added bonus that went from somewhere between 1 and 2am and ended around sunrise.

azure317

Quote from: gluvmiller on Nov 06, 2013, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I think you have to stop worrying. Obviously not the same, but still a Cloud9 event, at the Panic excursions they had late night DJs which in no way affected the show lengths. It was just an added bonus that went from somewhere between 1 and 2am and ended around sunrise.
[/quote]

No worries here!

MrWhippy

Quote from: IMeMine on Nov 06, 2013, 11:15 PM
Hi :)
You might be interested to know...if you go to the Flaming Lips' website and click on any of the Riviera Maya dates, it says:

"The Flaming Lips will give one performance during the four-day festival at a day/time TBA"
http://flaminglips.com/tour/s/2434/

I'm thinking...the "off-the-hook dance party w/ plenty of surprises" will be (but not limited to) a Flaming Lips heavy evening, with some collaborations sprinkled throughout the other nights as well.

Either way it sounds like they will not be infringing on MMJ time.

Thanks for pointing this info out about one FL performance.  I really think, though, that they will be the opening band one of the nights.  It just makes sense that three bands were announced, and there are three shows that could have opening slots. 

That just seems more likely to me than FL playing on the dance party night and then having one of the other two bands open more than one show.