"One Big Holiday" in MEXICO!!

Started by parkervb, Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azure317

Quote from: MrWhippy on Nov 07, 2013, 06:55 AM
Quote from: IMeMine on Nov 06, 2013, 11:15 PM
Hi :)
You might be interested to know...if you go to the Flaming Lips' website and click on any of the Riviera Maya dates, it says:

"The Flaming Lips will give one performance during the four-day festival at a day/time TBA"
http://flaminglips.com/tour/s/2434/

I'm thinking...the "off-the-hook dance party w/ plenty of surprises" will be (but not limited to) a Flaming Lips heavy evening, with some collaborations sprinkled throughout the other nights as well.

Either way it sounds like they will not be infringing on MMJ time.

Thanks for pointing this info out about one FL performance.  I really think, though, that they will be the opening band one of the nights.  It just makes sense that three bands were announced, and there are three shows that could have opening slots. 

That just seems more likely to me than FL playing on the dance party night and then having one of the other two bands open more than one show.

Makes sense.

According to Cloud9, all will be revealed shortly... The band schedules will be released in less than a month... Email blast, fb, etc..

"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

gluvmiller

Yeah, eagerly waiting for some announcements coming from Cloud9 very soon. I have a friend who is a director for Cloud9 and she just got to the Hard Rock in Playa a couple of days ago to finalize details. She doesn't typically give any info before they make it publically available and I never ask. Personally I'm eager to get details about the Positive Legacy service activity. I think it is important to get involved with the local culture and help in anyway we can and to also have our kids get involved.

Taterbug

You guys are DICKS.... kicks can and walks out of thread in jealousy.   :wink:
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

scosby2

Flights booked as some of you already know...now it's real...now I can really plan...can't wait to be down there and hear some songs I haven't heard in a really long time, some really loud horns, maybe some new ones...and some awesome covers (Loving Cup please??) regardless this is gonna be one for the ages...really hoping for a live bootlegs series from these shows as well as I know everyone else here feels the same way

Y'all got any disco ball back there?

Stevie

Quote from: MrWhippy on Nov 04, 2013, 06:39 AM
DO IT STEVIE!!!!  I'd love to add Mexico to the list of places I've partied with you guys (Louisville, Red Rocks, Port Chester, NYC).

Good memory!  It would be really, really, really awesome.  Unfortunately, I am about 95% sure that we aren't going to make it.  I checked into the extra cost of bringing Zenna and it puts it way out of our ballpark (as if it weren't at the wall already).  It's funny, those four shows we've hung out at, I probably spent as much total on all four as I would be spending on OBH.  If I had more disposable income, I think it would be very much worth it.....currently I just don't think I can responsibly do it.

It will be interesting to see what the set times look like.  Initially my first thought was to compare it to the Port Chester and Wiltern set lengths.  This is an entirely different ball game if they are going all out Red Rocks style every night.  If it ends up being like that I may have to reassess the dollar for dollar value of OBH.  Perhaps bank robbery then becomes a legitimate option.  I mean, can you really put a price on a song or two that you never thought you would experience live?  I mean come to think of it, there really is no pressure for them to stick to their usual suspects.  They know that everyone that is coming is super devoted and is probably very familiar with their entire catalog... jesus.. this is going to be Terminal 5 all over again in 3 nights, isn't it? 

Seriously... screw you guys...and I mean that in the nicest way possible  :grin:

ms. yvon

Quote from: Taterbug on Nov 08, 2013, 11:10 AM
You guys are DICKS.... kicks can and walks out of thread in jealousy.   :wink:
:grin: :grin: :grin:
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

scosby2

I cashed out an old  life insurance policy I had forgotten about to afford this...

(True story)

Y'all got any disco ball back there?

redpatoka

anyone else going from uk,3 of us me wife and granddaughter and doing pre and post nights,
their the wrong trousers grommit

gluvmiller

If you're getting into the Hard Rock early, we should plan a little meet up cocktail party at one of the bars the night of the 25th. I'm sure we can easily inlfuence the bartender to play our flavor of music.

e_wind

Quote from: gluvmiller on Nov 12, 2013, 11:47 AM
If you're getting into the Hard Rock early, we should plan a little meet up cocktail party at one of the bars the night of the 25th. I'm sure we can easily inlfuence the bartender to play our flavor of music.

I'm sure they'll already be playing lots of Bon Jovi don't worry. It is the Hard Rock after all
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ditty

Hello, new"ish" to the board.  Have lurked on and off for a few years.  Singed up to the board during the Americanarama tour.  I'm really thinking hard all the sudden of pulling the trigger for this incredible event.  I guess I'm a little nervous because part of the deal with the wife is she gets her "beach" vacation and the bonus is each night we get to MMJ +   Anyone have links to pictures of the place?  Everything I find seems to be the place before the remodel.  I guess one of the things I'm hoping for is a nice sandy beach and the pics I find seem to show more of a ocean breaking wall and that's it.  Thanks in advance for any help.
100204 102305 112506 80711 71412 7050613 OBH14151718 6232415 71815 5121316 52616 62217 81017 8020319

fijiboard

Hey ditty,

Check out http://mmjonebigholiday.com/ . There are a ton of details about the hotel, different excursions, and the shows!

:drum:

gluvmiller

DO IT DITTY!!! When all is said and done, you'll have 2 things: memories and regrets. It's up to you today to guide which you'll have more of when your time comes. And unfortunately you're not going to find many pictures of what the Hard Rock Riviera is becoming. All we have it what it was. I've actually reached out to their customer service recently to try and get some details on golf, spa and salon. Once I hear back, I will share with everyone here. I requested the same things from their resort in the Dominican and they got back to me pretty quick. And hopefully the sharing will help you convince your wife this is what you guys need to do in January. It's gonna be special and something you'll brag about for years to come.

jaye

Quote from: ditty on Nov 15, 2013, 11:41 AM
I guess one of the things I'm hoping for is a nice sandy beach and the pics I find seem to show more of a ocean breaking wall and that's it.

Unfortunately that seems to be the one disappointing thing - it is more of a lagoon.  I guess the ocean was too rocky there or something?  It's too bad because there are so many great beaches in that area.  But there is still sun and sand and salt water!   :thumbsup:

ditty

Thanks

fijiboard
gluvmiller
jaye

I'm pretty sure we've made up our mind to go, I tend to over think things sometimes.
100204 102305 112506 80711 71412 7050613 OBH14151718 6232415 71815 5121316 52616 62217 81017 8020319

MattBlack

Hey all,

Thought I would sign up and say Hi, long time MMJ fan first time forum poster.

There will be 3 of us heading to OBH from Australia and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself and hopefully meet some of you all for a few drinks and fun in the sun.

Having toyed with the idea of travelling to NY for the T5 shows (and regretting not doing so ever since) we were not going to miss the opportunity for these shows.

Having seen MMJ in Australia, New Zealand and USA we are looking forward to adding Mexico to that list of countries.

Interested to know if there are any other Aussies who are on these boards who are also making the trip ?

Guess I will leave it at that for the time being and will be seeing you all soon and look forward to sharing stories of the various MMJ gigs we've been to.

weeniebeenie

Quote from: MattBlack on Nov 17, 2013, 12:27 AM

Hey all,

There will be 3 of us heading to OBH from Australia and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself and hopefully meet some of you all for a few drinks and fun in the sun.

Having toyed with the idea of travelling to NY for the T5 shows (and regretting not doing so ever since) we were not going to miss the opportunity for these shows.

Having seen MMJ in Australia, New Zealand and USA we are looking forward to adding Mexico to that list of countries.

Interested to know if there are any other Aussies who are on these boards who are also making the trip ?

Guess I will leave it at that for the time being and will be seeing you all soon and look forward to sharing stories of the various MMJ gigs we've been to.
Hi! Welcome to the forum. I'm in Aus as well (there aren't many of us on the board) and unfortunately will not be going to OBH. :cry: Though Pearl Jam will be in Australia that week so I won't feel so bad. Have a great time at the shows!
How loud can silence get?

gluvmiller

Quote from: MattBlack on Nov 17, 2013, 12:27 AM

Hey all,

Welcome Matt and congrats on making the decision to travel to OBH. I think its going to be very special. If you're on Facebook, we also have a private group there specific to this trip to Mexico. If you're interested, please private message me here and we'll figure out getting you added.
Cheers, Garrett

trave

Very much looking forward to this & it can't get here soon enough. My wife and I were able to agree on this very quickly for our honeymoon! Can't wait!

JB

Hello all-
New user on this board (have been registered in Roll Call for a couple years but didn't register here).
I'm 99% sure I'm going to Mexico but 50% sure it'll be solo. I am waiting until after the Sirius/XM contest to book room/flight just in case it's not necessary. In the meantime, I'm curious if there are any other solo travelers still looking for a roomie. I am down-to-earth, love hiking, kayaking, sunsets, reading a good book by a fire... Wait. Wrong site.
I'm nice, fun, travel well, party well, and I get along with most everyone. In fact, I think I met a few of you a couple years ago at the MMJ show at the Edgewater in Troutdale (couple of you had cute kids in the early entry line). I was trying to sell a couple extra tickets and we talked for a few minutes.
I just wanted to say hi, can't wait, etc. and stick my toe in the water re: roommate if a couple friends aren't able to go (non-committals....). I don't want to do the random thing from the booking site- I'd prefer this route.
Ok then.
Have a great rest of your Thanksgiving weekend.
Feel free to contact me offline if you'd like (dignan at fox internet dot net).
Jeff