"One Big Holiday" in MEXICO!!

Started by parkervb, Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: mgobugsy on Dec 20, 2013, 07:22 AM
Quote from: Seeker on Dec 20, 2013, 04:39 AM
I hope and trust the place will be ready for you to have a great time.

I'll just throw this out there: how is everyone planning on obtaining their under the counter medications for this trip? Does anyone plan on bringing in some extra Lipitor. If so, find Penny! I hear she's in the market for some.

This is funny, I met a bunch of you at Red Rocks, and most of you were paranoid about bringing weed into that liberal establishment. I'd have to wonder about your courage to go into Mexico. In my experience, even if you are randomly selected for a search, it is fairly cursory and medicine is often overlooked. They know which side their tourist dollar is buttered. But maybe you shouldn't try to bring anything out. But this is another reason to read those Furthur threads.

OH  those Mexican jails..... :shocked:

Have fun!

Charles
[/quote]

When the bellman takes you to your room and asks you if there is anything else he can get for you THAT is the time to ask.  He will take care of the transaction for you locally.
[/quote]

2 words: Vapor Pen (anyone else realize that this was post #420?)
what Madonna said really helped

scosby2

What about like I bought a pipe and grinder down here in Alabama before PC and flew with it...nothing at all was in either one...would I be ok doing that? Not taking the grinder this time just bc that's one more thing to carry and possibly get in trouble over...after really thinking it over I was actually thinking about not taking anything and just hoping someone would know what's going on and would be able to help me out(talking to you, mink...haha)...looks like me and the bellman are gonna be pretty tight

scosby2

And no, I'm not in the market for Lipitor

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: scosby2 on Dec 20, 2013, 05:10 PM
What about like I bought a pipe and grinder down here in Alabama before PC and flew with it...nothing at all was in either one...would I be ok doing that? Not taking the grinder this time just bc that's one more thing to carry and possibly get in trouble over...after really thinking it over I was actually thinking about not taking anything and just hoping someone would know what's going on and would be able to help me out(talking to you, mink...haha)...looks like me and the bellman are gonna be pretty tight

you're covered
what Madonna said really helped

Jenfarr

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Dec 18, 2013, 01:28 PM
reviews are starting to trend in the right direction.  all will be well by late Jan.  the pools/bars/restaurants will all be just what we need them to be, and the boys will bring their A+ game...what else do you need?

Yeah, just checked over on Tripadvisor and the reviews are starting to be more positive.  Whew...

Leave 5 weeks from today!  Woo Hoo!

scosby2

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Dec 20, 2013, 06:07 PM
Quote from: scosby2 on Dec 20, 2013, 05:10 PM

you're covered

This is why you are the man...I can't freaking wait, parents surprised me for Christmas and took care of my plane ticket...the stars are aligning perfectly as we speak

MMJCOBRA

Who else thinks they round up their 2.5 hr sets up to three hours?  Love that the flips get a headline spot right before the late night MMJ dance party!!

Now HR, finish that renovation and fully stock my in room liquor dispenser!!!

scosby2

Quote from: unravelled on Dec 23, 2013, 04:48 PM
Who else thinks they round up their 2.5 hr sets up to three hours?  Love that the flips get a headline spot right before the late night MMJ dance party!!

I'm sure they will be 3 hours+ each night maybe longer...bonnaroo 08 was scheduled for 2 hours and It went from midnight til 4:15...that's including an intermission and a few stops for the raining and that's a bonnaroo midnight set so on not saying get your hopes up...just an idea that they don't always stick to the allotted time, rest assured, they definitely won't finish earlier than the time allotted...not their style

rincon2

Quote from: scosby2 on Dec 24, 2013, 03:14 AM

I'm sure they will be 3 hours+ each night maybe longer...bonnaroo 08 was scheduled for 2 hours and It went from midnight til 4:15...that's including an intermission and a few stops for the raining and that's a bonnaroo midnight set so on not saying get your hopes up...just an idea that they don't always stick to the allotted time, rest assured, they definitely won't finish earlier than the time allotted...not their style
They do if there are local restrictions to an outdoor show. Saw them twice where they said they were sorry to stop but they had too because of local laws. Doubt that will be an issue there though, but I really don't know.

TheDark

Quote from: rincon2 on Dec 24, 2013, 02:05 PM

They do if there are local restrictions to an outdoor show. Saw them twice where they said they were sorry to stop but they had too because of local laws. Doubt that will be an issue there though, but I really don't know.
[/quote

Can't imagine a private resort having a noise curfew because all the guests will be going to the show. Especially the first night when there is no late night DJ scheduled. Going to be an incredible experience!

rincon2

Quote from: TheDark on Dec 24, 2013, 09:51 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on Dec 24, 2013, 02:05 PM

[/quote

Can't imagine a private resort having a noise curfew because all the guests will be going to the show. Especially the first night when there is no late night DJ scheduled. Going to be an incredible experience!

Is the WHOLE resort part of OBH? It looks to me like it is run as 2 separate entities. I could easily be wrong, but looks like it is marketed as a family side and an adult side. I make zero assumptions on stuff I am not sure about.

JTG1975

given2jacket

I have been traveling for work and pleasure for almost 20 years and have been using TripAdvisor for a decade and have never seen as negative reviews as I've seen on this property.  It appears it's nowhere close to being done.  Cloud 9 has to make this right and as many of you that call and demand an answer will make all the difference.  Just read these reviews! 

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g153510-d209429-Reviews-Aventura_Spa_Palace-Puerto_Aventuras_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

The very few positive reviews come from people w/ no prior history and could very well be bogus reviews.  Nobody has an incentive to write a "fake" negative review but the hotel has every incentive to write a fake positive review. 

Anyway, I love MMJ and have seen them a dozen times (low for many on this board I'm sure) but this is a week vacation and I'm taking friends who aren't even MMJ fans.  This is way more than a concert experience.  It's thousands of dollars.  They deserve to be upfront and honest w/ us about the state of the hotel. 

Bulldog

Dood,

Get over it, I have been watching (and contributing a post) to this section for over a month and we dont need to go back down the road of negativity.

True I have been reading DAILY reports on the resort (both positive and negative), and one of the resounding themes is the resort isnt finished or going to be anytime soon.

That said, I am going for the experience with my eyes wide open to some of the shortcomings. Even in the negative reviews, the staff is typically painted as being VERY positive, and the grounds outstanding. If they have any sort of food I am a happy camper and I personally read things like the workers are working non stop and think "hey they must be preparing for MMJ and the Further shows".....

Morale of the story, relax, I dont see any point in trying to get Cloud 9 "to make it right", to make it right, "WE" need to go into it with the attitude that the experience will be what we make of it....

given2jacket

This isn't a camp, dude.  Cloud 9 isn't a non profit.  They promised us a completed resort and if it's not completed they will be held responsible - at least by me anyway. 

You act like I'm going to go there and be a debbie downer and bring all 2500 of you down.  Grow the fuck up.  We're adults, spent thousands on a vacation, and deserve to know if the resort will be finished or not before we get there. 

EDIT:  This is the last review that was posted.  It's brand new, they are still there.  Not cherry picking...could it be any worse?

"Worst vacation ever"
1 of 5 starsReviewed yesterday NEW
I am writing this review from the hotel as we are unfortunately still here for another day. My wife and I checked in on the 1st of January. We normally take two vacations a year to tropical destinations and generally stay in five star rated resorts or hotels. The hard rock in riviera maya is no where even close to a four star rating. The check in experience was a gong show, we had to check in on the hacienda side for some reason, the lobby was small smelled moldy and musty is very dated, it was packed full of wet screaming kids as well. We had to stand in a line of about forty people for over an hour. We were taken to our rooms which were at the far end of the resort in the adults only section via golf cart. The room also smelled moldy and musty and also had a bit of a sewage odour to boot. When we complained we were told the resort was fully booked and there was nothing they could do about it no upgrades were available either four some reason? The heaven side is a joke. One little bar stuck in the corner of the lobby, barely audible music, they had a live band one nite in the lobby that sounded like one of the first round outcasts from American idol. The seating in the bar is terrible, old smelly sit down chairs, bar stools were set at a level so your knees are level with the bar top, two televisions about ten years old barely visible. There is nothing happening around at nite either, very quiet

The food was the worst I ever had while on vacation anywhere, it is very similar to something you will find at an all you can eat mandarin or cheesy shopping mall food court. The staff are friendly enough but average and not overly friendly. The credit you receive towards the spa and other activities is subject to a 20 percent cash charge and doesn't apply to the better off resort excursions. They have a 450 cash credit toward the better excursions but you have to subject yourself to a three hour sales pitch from their time share salesmen, what a joke.

The grounds are like something like you would see at a city park except the smell of sewage is worse here as my wife keeps reminding me. One hot tub that is maybe for about eight people that is actually warm ( definately not hot), no access to the ocean, no beach to walk on, what they have is a space that's been cut into the natural rock coral shoreline that has been filled with a mixture of sea water from small chanels from the sea and fresh smelly water from the nearby cenote. The rest of the grounds are dated, poorly lit and of low quality.

I can go on and on. We definately feel like we've been ripped off on this one and will never even look at another hard rock again.

This is the first review I have ever written, and believe me it takes a lot for me to write anything like this!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

azure317

Quote from: given2jacket on Jan 07, 2014, 10:50 AM
This isn't a camp, dude.  Cloud 9 isn't a non profit.  They promised us a completed resort and if it's not completed they will be held responsible - at least by me anyway. 

You act like I'm going to go there and be a debbie downer and bring all 2500 of you down.  Grow the fuck up.  We're adults, spent thousands on a vacation, and deserve to know if the resort will be finished or not before we get there. 

EDIT:  This is the last review that was posted.  It's brand new, they are still there.  Not cherry picking...could it be any worse?

"Worst vacation ever"
1 of 5 starsReviewed yesterday NEW
I am writing this review from the hotel as we are unfortunately still here for another day. My wife and I checked in on the 1st of January. We normally take two vacations a year to tropical destinations and generally stay in five star rated resorts or hotels. The hard rock in riviera maya is no where even close to a four star rating. The check in experience was a gong show, we had to check in on the hacienda side for some reason, the lobby was small smelled moldy and musty is very dated, it was packed full of wet screaming kids as well. We had to stand in a line of about forty people for over an hour. We were taken to our rooms which were at the far end of the resort in the adults only section via golf cart. The room also smelled moldy and musty and also had a bit of a sewage odour to boot. When we complained we were told the resort was fully booked and there was nothing they could do about it no upgrades were available either four some reason? The heaven side is a joke. One little bar stuck in the corner of the lobby, barely audible music, they had a live band one nite in the lobby that sounded like one of the first round outcasts from American idol. The seating in the bar is terrible, old smelly sit down chairs, bar stools were set at a level so your knees are level with the bar top, two televisions about ten years old barely visible. There is nothing happening around at nite either, very quiet

The food was the worst I ever had while on vacation anywhere, it is very similar to something you will find at an all you can eat mandarin or cheesy shopping mall food court. The staff are friendly enough but average and not overly friendly. The credit you receive towards the spa and other activities is subject to a 20 percent cash charge and doesn't apply to the better off resort excursions. They have a 450 cash credit toward the better excursions but you have to subject yourself to a three hour sales pitch from their time share salesmen, what a joke.

The grounds are like something like you would see at a city park except the smell of sewage is worse here as my wife keeps reminding me. One hot tub that is maybe for about eight people that is actually warm ( definately not hot), no access to the ocean, no beach to walk on, what they have is a space that's been cut into the natural rock coral shoreline that has been filled with a mixture of sea water from small chanels from the sea and fresh smelly water from the nearby cenote. The rest of the grounds are dated, poorly lit and of low quality.

I can go on and on. We definately feel like we've been ripped off on this one and will never even look at another hard rock again.

This is the first review I have ever written, and believe me it takes a lot for me to write anything like this!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Sounds to me that this guy needs to get laid.  Just my opinion.

"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

gluvmiller

Sorry, but I'm with given2jacket, I'm concerned. I can't be like "oh, I'm just happy to eat whatever and lay on a cot as long as I get to see music." That's idiotic. If you bought a brand new car and during the sales pitch you test drove a car with all these bells and whistles, but then after you sign the paperwork and paid your money they give you a beat up car without all the bells and whistles, but the stereo works. Would you be happy as long as the stereo works?

That being said, I still have hopes it will be done right. As I've mentioned before, C9 does not want to risk pissing off Furthur. They are rock and roll royalty and if C9 provides a bad product it won't go over easily. I'm not trying to diminish my respect and love for MMJ, but they're not even close to holding the leverage held by Bob Weir and Phil Lesh. We're very lucky they booked Paradise Waits before OBH and not vice versa.

given2jacket

"That being said, I still have hopes it will be done right. As I've mentioned before, C9 does not want to risk pissing off Furthur. They are rock and roll royalty and if C9 provides a bad product it won't go over easily. I'm not trying to diminish my respect and love for MMJ, but they're not even close to holding the leverage held by Bob Weir and Phil Lesh. We're very lucky they booked Paradise Waits before OBH and not vice versa."

I completely agree here.  It will be very interesting to see what people say on the ground there from that group.  I've joined their Facebook page and I'm sure they will have feedback.

azure317

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jan 07, 2014, 12:00 PM
Sorry, but I'm with given2jacket, I'm concerned. I can't be like "oh, I'm just happy to eat whatever and lay on a cot as long as I get to see music." That's idiotic. If you bought a brand new car and during the sales pitch you test drove a car with all these bells and whistles, but then after you sign the paperwork and paid your money they give you a beat up car without all the bells and whistles, but the stereo works. Would you be happy as long as the stereo works?

That being said, I still have hopes it will be done right. As I've mentioned before, C9 does not want to risk pissing off Furthur. They are rock and roll royalty and if C9 provides a bad product it won't go over easily. I'm not trying to diminish my respect and love for MMJ, but they're not even close to holding the leverage held by Bob Weir and Phil Lesh. We're very lucky they booked Paradise Waits before OBH and not vice versa.

Ok, but you have to admit that some of the things that the reviewer states are pretty petty, "screaming kids."  Lighten up.  And, some things he's complaining about aren't even an issue for us... "barely audible music, they had a live band one nite in the lobby that sounded like one of the first round outcasts from American idol."  ; )

I think the guy had a fight w/ his wife right before he wrote the review.  Women, ya know?!  Ha!

As for the smells, I'll just remember to pack some incense!!   :tongue:

"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"