Okonokos Vinyl Debate - Please Help!

Started by Santo, Feb 15, 2014, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santo

We have been slowly building our vinyl collection and after months of hand ringing, we finally ponied up for Okonokos. I was able to find a new copy on ebay in near mint for around $120. It is definitely more than I wanted to pay, but from what I have seen this seems to be the going rate, even for used. I would grade the vinyl as NM because it has a five inch tear in the cellophane wrapping, but otherwise is in perfect condition...at least on the outside.

We got it in the mail today and we realized we had a difference in opinion on what to do with it. I want to open and play it, she says to keep it as a collectible as the value will only increase. Presumably, we would wait for a second copy to play, most likely used. But who knows when that will happen. I hoped you all had an opinion on this and could help out. Any thoughts?

searchinbig

Why buy it to look at it? If you love the music play the fucker.

Life is way too short  my friend. Once you drop the needle you will remember that moment FOREVER....FOREVER.......... :beer:
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Santo

Funny thing...Every other new vinyl we have ever bought, that has been her opinion. I have suggested buying two copies before, 1 for playing, 1 for collecting. She always thought it was sad, keeping a record stored on a shelf and not fulfilling its purpose.

justbcuzido

Play it!! You wont regret it!

If you find another one, so be it. Until then, play it.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

oistheone

This is a no brainer dude. Okonokos is BY FAR the best sounding MMJ vinyl you can find, this NEEDS to be played. In fact, I'd say it's in my top-three best sounding records ever.

Unreal sonic fidelity + material from the band at their best = records you will listen to over, over and over again.

Crispy

Play the records. Unless you expect the value of the thing to increase so much that it will pay for more than one hour in the assisted living facility when you get there, that is.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Santo

Debate is over, you had her at "play the fucker." Thanks for the help!

gardenparty

Yeah, glad you played it.  one of my favorites.

I don't see this one skyrocketing much beyond where it is.  It's been a bunch of years.  I tend to jump on albums when i think there may be a good resell value in the future but honestly i know i would never actually sell any of them.  Suppose its good to have as insurance but they should be played.  Take good care of them though and if you need to sell there is still some value.

enjoy it!  Steam Engine is the most epic

Somey

Okonokos is prescious, I was not as lucky as you and payed $220 for it on eBay but it was sealed an unopened.  I was also lucky this December to get my hands on Pearl Jam Benaroya Hall vinyl at their pop up shop, I will never sell them but it will be a special occasion when I do open them. Okonokos will be exactly like Benaroya 1 day when it is the Holy Grail of MMJ Vinyl.

Santo

I waited and waited, and finally did get really lucky on that. It seems that ~$220 is the going price. After opening it, the only thing I regret is waiting so long to get it on vinyl. The only real winners on this deal are those that were smart enough to buy it when it came out.

kotchishm

I got this one brand new for $39 off Amazon about two years ago. Me thinks someone royally screwed up pricing for it.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

johnnYYac

An unopened copy of Oko vinyl just went on eBay for $112.50!  I bid $100 then spaced it.  I already own a copy, but figured if no one was paying attention... Apparently, I forgot to include myself in that calculus. :undecided:  Congrats if anyone here scored it.  These days, under $200 for a new, sealed Oko vinyl is excellent!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rincon2

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 28, 2014, 09:56 PM
An unopened copy of Oko vinyl just went on eBay for $112.50!  I bid $100 then spaced it.  I already own a copy, but figured if no one was paying attention... Apparently, I forgot to include myself in that calculus. :undecided:  Congrats if anyone here scored it.  These days, under $200 for a new, sealed Oko vinyl is excellent!
John, maybe this is rhetorical, but maybe you can answer it. Why would a record company not produce a few thousand copies of something that has such a high demand as Okonokos? There is no logical reason for a record that is less than 10 years old selling for hundreds of dollars. They could gouge the shit out of us at $50 a copy and most would sell. Are they not a capitalist company?

johnnYYac

Quote from: rincon2 on May 28, 2014, 10:17 PM
John, maybe this is rhetorical, but maybe you can answer it. Why would a record company not produce a few thousand copies of something that has such a high demand as Okonokos? There is no logical reason for a record that is less than 10 years old selling for hundreds of dollars. They could gouge the shit out of us at $50 a copy and most would sell. Are they not a capitalist company?
Its a fair question. Pressing rights were held by Badman Records, but have expired. We hear a lot of interest in the Oko vinyl here, but that doesn't necessarily apply to the general public and warrant a repressing. Would be a great Record Store Day release... 180g, numbered LE, etc. Also would like to see a bluray version of the film, with Acoustic Chorale included. I've spoken to Badman about this and the ball seems to be in MMJ's court at the moment.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 29, 2014, 09:52 AM
Its a fair question. Pressing rights were held by Badman Records, but have expired. We hear a lot of interest in the Oko vinyl here, but that doesn't necessarily apply to the general public and warrant a repressing. Would be a great Record Store Day release... 180g, numbered LE, etc. Also would like to see a bluray version of the film, with Acoustic Chorale included. I've spoken to Badman about this and the ball seems to be in MMJ's court at the moment.

If I had the chance to ask a band member one question, it would be about this.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

rincon2

I'm certainly no economist, but if a used copy can sell for $267 like a recent sale on ebay, that means there is a market for it. I think record store day is a can't lose situation for all involved and interested.   http://www.popsike.com/My-Morning-Jacket-OKONOKOS-MINT-4-LP-OOP-Box-Set-RARE/251481839341.html

parkervb

Quote from: rincon2 on May 30, 2014, 09:42 AM
I'm certainly no economist, but if a used copy can sell for $267 like a recent sale on ebay, that means there is a market for it. I think record store day is a can't lose situation for all involved and interested.   http://www.popsike.com/My-Morning-Jacket-OKONOKOS-MINT-4-LP-OOP-Box-Set-RARE/251481839341.html

that $267 could have been an aberration or outlier for the market.  Like someone said, an unopened Okonokos went for $112.50.  I think they could definitely do well with a RSD release of some sort but doesn't mean the people behind the scenes think so. 
Don't you ever turn it off

ajclements004

i'd do a lot to get my hands on one of these.  it's such a shame they don't make them anymore....

rincon2

Quote from: Jim G on May 31, 2014, 03:39 AM
Hi, I just posted a SEALED copy of this for sale...

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/My-Morning-Jacket-Okonokos/163429598?ev=bp_titl
Attempted aberration? Sorry, as much as I would like it, no record is worth $250 to me.