Okonokos Vinyl Debate - Please Help!

Started by Santo, Feb 15, 2014, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajclements004

Quote from: rincon2 on Jun 04, 2014, 03:28 AM
Quote from: Jim G on May 31, 2014, 03:39 AM
Hi, I just posted a SEALED copy of this for sale...

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/My-Morning-Jacket-Okonokos/163429598?ev=bp_titl
Attempted aberration? Sorry, as much as I would like it, no record is worth $250 to me.

Yeah seriously that's ridiculous.  You come on an MMJ forum and post an ad for an Okonokos vinyl for $250??  Come on man...

johnnYYac

Quote from: ajclements004 on Jun 04, 2014, 11:49 AM
Quote from: rincon2 on Jun 04, 2014, 03:28 AM
Quote from: Jim G on May 31, 2014, 03:39 AM
Hi, I just posted a SEALED copy of this for sale...

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/My-Morning-Jacket-Okonokos/163429598?ev=bp_titl
Attempted aberration? Sorry, as much as I would like it, no record is worth $250 to me.

Yeah seriously that's ridiculous.  You come on an MMJ forum and post an ad for an Okonokos vinyl for $250??  Come on man...
... and right after one sold for exactly half that.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

gardenparty

itrainmonkeys

GO4IT

Listening to it right now.
All I can say is that if you can get a relatively clean copy without getting ripped off (whatever that means to you), you will be happy.

paloozajam

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Jun 19, 2014, 03:10 PM
Stumbled upon this used copy. Starting bid = $49. Can't vouch for the seller or quality but figured I'd share this here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Morning-Jacket-Okonokos-4-x-LP-Limited-Edition-RARE-Vinyl-/201110760145?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2ed322aad1

thank you. I hope I win it.

and as for you guys complaining about this record that's 10 yrs old.  doesn't even compare to the prices people will pay for a sealed box set of Pearl Jam's Benaroya Hall (on wine colored vinyl #'d out of 2000). I paid about $600 for mine about 5 yrs ago and opened it and played it immediately. A new, sealed version I saw recently is at $1,800 with 33 bids so put that in your pipe and smoke it haha.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-PEARL-JAM-BENAROYA-VINYL-LP-BOX-SET-/251558362050?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a920bfbc2

walterfredo

do folks think there is any chance this will ever be re-released on vinyl?  Or do I really need to consider coughing up some dough for this?  Want!

scosby2

Walter I do believe it will be re-pressed one day, however...I don't think it would be a bad investment to fork over some dough for it if you really want it just in case they don't

johnnYYac

I suggested on Facebook that we start an online petition to get Oko vinyl repressed (maybe also having Oko DVD released on bluray w/Acoustic Chorale included).  Not sure if enough people would "sign" to convince the powers that be, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Anyone have any experience with online petitions?

eagerOwl

Wow. Had I known this vinyl was worth so much, I would've cried when I left one of the Oko records in the sun and it warped.  :cry: The other ones are in great shape though...
At the end of the day, everyone wants the same thing.

Mr. White

While looking on ebay yesterday, I came across this $300 collection of MMJ vinyl. The listing and photos show the seller is putting up "My Morning Jacket 9 Vinyl Lps Includes Okonokos", so if you don't have the albums on vinyl and really need that copy of Okonokos, it might be worth $300. Not for me, though. I already have all the other albums on vinyl...but still lack the Okonokos box set. Good luck to you if you decide this is something you need. (As of 11:25 p.m. eastern time (7/14/2014), there were only 13 hours left for this offering.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Morning-Jacket-9-Vinyl-Lps-Includes-Okonokos/251584533997?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211132617%26meid%3D8322789045711661660%26pid%3D100085%26prg%3D20140211132617%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D371099260106%26clkid%3D8322791869723088512&_qi=RTM1562570
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 14, 2014, 03:04 PM
I suggested on Facebook that we start an online petition to get Oko vinyl repressed (maybe also having Oko DVD released on bluray w/Acoustic Chorale included).  Not sure if enough people would "sign" to convince the powers that be, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Anyone have any experience with online petitions?

I don't know much about online petitions but I would sign this in a heartbeat. And I've got it on vinyl and DVD already. Getting a bluray (with Acoustic Chorale) would be killer and I'd love for others to get this on vinyl. I remember buying it and being so glad that I got it but would never have thought it would become so sought after.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Jul 15, 2014, 04:51 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 14, 2014, 03:04 PM

I don't know much about online petitions but I would sign this in a heartbeat. And I've got it on vinyl and DVD already. Getting a bluray (with Acoustic Chorale) would be killer and I'd love for others to get this on vinyl. I remember buying it and being so glad that I got it but would never have thought it would become so sought after.

I'd sign it.  With the apparent MMJ FB page, it may not be a bad idea.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

johnnYYac

From an email conversation with Badman Records...

Hey Dylan,

A question that still comes up a lot regards a repressing of Okonokos 4LP.  I know you said Badman no longer has rights to press that title, but let me know if you have any ideas who I might contact about getting this done.  Folks on eBay are selling used copies for over $100.  If MMJ made it available for the original $40 price, at least that money would be going to the band (at least a portion of it), not some guy on eBay flipping their copy.  New, sealed copies have gone for over $200!

Hope you're well.  Happy New Year!

John

Hey John,

I think it is doubtful that Okonokos would be offered again at $40, if it ever was repressed.  The cost of manufacturing has gone up quite a bit since it was originally pressed many years back and we had a very reasonable deal on licensing fees and mechanicals at that time... none of us were trying to make much $ but rather have this amazing box set to offer folks.  I've considered contacting ATO about renewing a license.  It would be a great deal of work to pull all the artwork together again, and masters, as the plant has let go of all of that stuff.  It may end up just being a collector's item at this point. 

Cheers,

Dylan
Badman

itrainmonkeys

Wow, that's crazy. Did not realize how much work/effort would need to be put in just to get a repressing. I'm so glad I got one of these when I did. Never would have thought it would be a limited item by now.

Maybe if we could get some Terminal 5 vinyl box sets the sting would hurt a bit less  :wink:

EverythingChanges

Quote from: johnnYYac on Dec 30, 2014, 12:42 PM

Hey Dylan,

A question that still comes up a lot regards a repressing of Okonokos 4LP.  I know you said Badman no longer has rights to press that title, but let me know if you have any ideas who I might contact about getting this done.  Folks on eBay are selling used copies for over $100.  If MMJ made it available for the original $40 price, at least that money would be going to the band (at least a portion of it), not some guy on eBay flipping their copy.  New, sealed copies have gone for over $200!

John

Hey John,

I think it is doubtful that Okonokos would be offered again at $40, if it ever was repressed.  The cost of manufacturing has gone up quite a bit since it was originally pressed many years back and we had a very reasonable deal on licensing fees and mechanicals at that time... none of us were trying to make much $ but rather have this amazing box set to offer folks.  I've considered contacting ATO about renewing a license.  It would be a great deal of work to pull all the artwork together again, and masters, as the plant has let go of all of that stuff.  It may end up just being a collector's item at this point. 

Cheers,

Dylan
Badman

I'm okay with paying around $85 for it like Wilco does for their vinyl boxsets.  Thanks for the effort John!  Too bad for the news though.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

GO4IT

Quote from: johnnYYac on Dec 30, 2014, 12:42 PM

Hey Dylan,

John

Hey John,

Cheers,

Dylan
Badman

Very interesting and, in part, disturbing.  It's one thing to be able to reconstruct the album, or even improve on it, at a considerable cost.  It's another to say "....and masters, as the plant has let go of all of that stuff." which at least implies that the masters may not have been appropriately archived.  I hope that's not the case.  That might also cause issues in producing a high quality digital version so that players like a Pono could take advantage of it.  The MMJ edition Pono shipped with a 96 kHz version of Circuital but Okonokos was at 48 kHz, about the quality of a CD.  I suppose not everyone could hear that difference but I would rather have the maters well taken care of so that various options were available for the future.