Curious Question when you're chasing a song

Started by gluvmiller, Jun 09, 2014, 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gluvmiller

Let me set up a senario. Jacket starts a good size tour this fall and you have tickets to a show in Chicago about 2/3 of the way through the tour. You're chasing a rare song, let's say By My Car. Now the tour starts and you notice Jacket is playing By My Car somewhat regularly during the tour. Does this get you excited that you have a good chance of seeing your song or does it diminish your excitement if you heard it in Chicago becasue it has now become less rare? When they play it in Chicago would you stand there just slightly deflated or are you still jumping out of your shows?

ajclements004

I have been trying to not look at setlists anymore.  I think it gives too much away IMO.  I think if there's a song that you want to see live, you're naturally going to be excited whether it's a rarity or not.  Especially if you've never heard them play it.  But like i said before, I kinda like going to a show and having no expectations of what the band is going to play.  It almost gives the show a more spontaneous feeling.  It would be way cooler to go to a show knowing nothing about what they've been playing on the tour and then hearing them bust out "By My Car". 

dany500

I have been attempting to not take a gander at setlists any longer. I think it doles excessively out IMO. I think if there's a tune that you need to see live, you're characteristically going to be energized whether its an irregularity or not. Particularly in the event that you've never heard them play it. Yet like i said some time recently, I kinda like heading off to a show and having no desires of what the band is going to play. It practically gives the demonstrate a more spontaneous feeling.

Cut down your exam 640-864 by using our latest wikipedia and high quality California Institute of Technology gmat and VMWARE We provide updated exam sheets with 100% pass guarantee along with CHECKPOINT

Stevie

Ah, a very good question indeed!  Truly, there is nothing like hearing the first few notes of a treasured and rare song and slowly realizing that it is what you think it is.  This was my experience with Rocket Man at forecastle and IWBTWYD/they ran at red rocks.  Now, this isnt what you asked about but the fact that they played rocket man a million times after that has certainly taken away from the luster of that moment for me, especially since ive been there for many of the additional renditions. 

As for peeking at setlists, i dont do it until after im done with all the shows i plan to go to on the tour..  The worst thing would be holding out for a rare one and only seeing it on one setlist the whole tour..and its the show before yours :///

gluvmiller

While chasing the Grateful Dead during the 80's we were lucky to not have the advaces of technology we have today. So knowing set lists was not as common knowledge as today. I remember sometime in the late 80s having a phone number you could call to get setlists or there was a deadbase flyer you could pick up in the lots that would have the setlists from the current tour. So my expectations going into shows were far different than today. I do like to try and not know, but that's easier said than done for me. Heck, i try to do that with movies coming out and avoid previews.

walterfredo

Quote from: gluvmiller on Oct 16, 2014, 01:24 PM
I remember sometime in the late 80s having a phone number you could call to get setlists

1-800-RUN-DEAD

I racked up my fair share of charges on my parents phone bill checking GD setlists when I was younger. Pissed my mom off! 

"Hello folks, Deer Creek night 1, beautiful sunny day. First set...Jack Straw, Bertha, Rooster, Althea..."

tippitoes22

I remember the setlist, lot flyers in the late 80's early 90's. I always liked seeing past show setlists. It gave you an idea of what might be coming the next few shows. Encores especially. For instance if you saw they encored with "the weight" 5 outta the last six shows, it got you a little excited you might get a "brokedown palace" or something heady. That was one of the nice thing bout being from Chicago when the dead were touring in the late 80's early nineties. You had Alpine Valley and Deer Creek so close!!! 87-92 was fun. Until the ppl on tour slowly started turning into human garbage.
But I digress... Seeing "Buy My Car" anywhere would bring a big ear to ear grin to my face.

P.S. I saw 12 shows during spontaneous curation in 2012 and still didn't get 4-5 "white whales" I've been chasing since '08.

P.P.S. If your chasing something, it'd be great to get it anywhere. THANK GOD for Portchester & OBH!!!
O IS the one that is real!

Just one guys opinion.
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

gluvmiller

Quote from: walterfredo on Oct 16, 2014, 04:33 PM
Quote from: gluvmiller on Oct 16, 2014, 01:24 PM
I remember sometime in the late 80s having a phone number you could call to get setlists

1-800-RUN-DEAD

I racked up my fair share of charges on my parents phone bill checking GD setlists when I was younger. Pissed my mom off! 

"Hello folks, Deer Creek night 1, beautiful sunny day. First set...Jack Straw, Bertha, Rooster, Althea..."

:thumbsup:

gluvmiller

Yeah, Tippitoes22, I will wicked excited to get the few songs I'm chasing no matter what, but I'm also still relatively new to this scene. My catalogue of shows is very short. I've only seen all of the red rocks, mile high music fest and then OBH. I'm still very easily satisfied. But due to my past with other bands I've chased for years I thought the question was relative to pose to those on here that have seen a lot of Jacket. Right now I'm enjoying being a "newbie". I used to daydream about being a beginner skier after 17 years as an instructor. It's beautiful to imagine to HUGE learning curve ahead.

tippitoes22

Hey gluvmiller,
You DEFINATELY asked the right group of ppl about MMJ. There's a lotta ppl who've seen WAY more Jacket than me, or know A HELL of lot more than I do bout this special group of musicians. I just responded cuz this thread mentioned Chicago and the Grateful Dead.
Happy hunting and "Welcome Home"  :beer:
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

gluvmiller

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Oct 26, 2014, 05:55 PM
Hey gluvmiller,
You DEFINATELY asked the right group of ppl about MMJ. There's a lotta ppl who've seen WAY more Jacket than me, or know A HELL of lot more than I do bout this special group of musicians. I just responded cuz this thread mentioned Chicago and the Grateful Dead.
Happy hunting and "Welcome Home"  :beer:

I'm giddy about what is on the horizon. I certainly understand the anxiety of nothing known other that OBH2, but that also leaves the imagination to take over. I've got my fingers crossed for a summer tour that will bring 3 nights to red rocks as well as a stop at the Mann in Philly so I can fly home and take my brothers.

SaraBananaBear

I take what I like to call the Librarian approach. I think about the song, silently tiptoe around the song and stare longingly at it. Ponder whether setlists the interweb has made it more or less likely that I'll hear the song. Ultimately I think its up to the song to decide if it wants to get played or not. But I'll always be there in the shadows, hoping for and supporting the song from afar.

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

MMJ612

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Nov 04, 2014, 09:08 AM
I take what I like to call the Librarian approach. I think about the song, silently tiptoe around the song and stare longingly at it. Ponder whether setlists the interweb has made it more or less likely that I'll hear the song. Ultimately I think its up to the song to decide if it wants to get played or not. But I'll always be there in the shadows, hoping for and supporting the song from afar.

Ummm, this is genius!  :cool:

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: MMJ612 on Nov 04, 2014, 05:54 PM
Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Nov 04, 2014, 09:08 AM

Ummm, this is genius!  :cool:

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Colfax

I wanna take this thread behind the middle school and get it pregnant... especially the old Deadhead posts.

In answer to the OP, it wouldn't matter how rare it is. A great song played is a great song played.

This happened with "Corrina, Corrina" with the Dead and then "The Wedge" with Phish. Phish play that all the time now, but the first time I finally heard it after a couple dozen shows, I was elated.

FetusTree

I remember when war begun was a white whale during the z/ evil urges period... We even had a petition thread for it to get played at radio city. I ended up finally seeing it at the first red rocks show the black keys opened... For a while it seemed like the only Tenn fire we would get was they ran. I got into them in 05 or so and thought they didn't play enough rare stuff... Now I'd kill to go back and see any show from before 2008

My Morning Tube top

The best chase was to go to the 5 shows at T5! It was the most simplistic yet profound hunting to date  :beer:

SpaceWrangler

Quote from: FetusTree on Feb 05, 2015, 12:09 PM
I remember when war begun was a white whale during the z/ evil urges period... We even had a petition thread for it to get played at radio city. I ended up finally seeing it at the first red rocks show the black keys opened... For a while it seemed like the only Tenn fire we would get was they ran. I got into them in 05 or so and thought they didn't play enough rare stuff... Now I'd kill to go back and see any show from before 2008

I too remember that War Begun drought.

Even now after seeing it on the setlist of pretty much every other show the last few years - prior to the mini hiatus and as recently as OBH1 and 2 - I still get waaaaaay too excited when I hear it.

I guess my point is, once I realize that I treasure a song, I stop caring how rare it is. I just like to hear it played.
The Fact That My Heart's Beating IS ALL THE PROOF YOU NEED

gluvmiller

Quote from: SpaceWrangler on Feb 12, 2015, 11:15 AM
Quote from: FetusTree on Feb 05, 2015, 12:09 PM

I too remember that War Begun drought.

Even now after seeing it on the setlist of pretty much every other show the last few years - prior to the mini hiatus and as recently as OBH1 and 2 - I still get waaaaaay too excited when I hear it.

I guess my point is, once I realize that I treasure a song, I stop caring how rare it is. I just like to hear it played.

I'm certainly glad they play it and I had no idea it was a elusive. My first jacket show was red rocks '08 (w the black keys). In fact, War Begun has become one of the songs I use to help get people acquainted with jacket. So powerful. In fact the one from the Nashville show they recently released is a great version I used recently for a friend who I convinced to go to OBH2. He has full on drank the kool aid and couldn't be more hooked. He didn't hesitate to agree to join is for Forecastle.