Please help - Jim song question

Started by gardenparty, Jan 04, 2015, 11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gardenparty

Can't beleive I have to do this but I'm at a loss

Was in a Barnes & Noble last night and a song came on with Jim singing.  The chorus was something like "hey everybody" or "how is everybody". Was a great tune that I've heard before but I can't remember where it is from.  I know it's not an mmj song and don't think it was solo album tune either

Any help pinning this one down?

gardenparty

Ok, so it was tough to hear what he was singing in the store

the song I was looking for is "Down on the Bottom" from Lost on the River

johnnYYac

Fine job figuring it out.  It gets maddening sometimes when you hear something familiar but can't grasp it.  I am LOVING that album, btw!  Not just Jim's contribution.  Spinning the vinyl version has been righteous.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

justbcuzido

Could you see them playing any of these tunes at OBH?
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

millerjustin

Quote from: justbcuzido on Jan 06, 2015, 03:59 PM

I think so - esp with Taylor there - seems a perfect sit-in if Jacket adds to their setlist
What's in here won't disappear

justbcuzido

Quote from: millerjustin on Jan 06, 2015, 04:57 PM

I think so - esp with Taylor there - seems a perfect sit-in if Jacket adds to their setlist

Personally, Id rather Jim come out and play it during the Dawes set. Kind of like I wanna see Jim do Highly Suspicious during PHJB instead of during the jacket set. I figure we get more Jim/Jacket songs that way if he plays those tunes during the other sets.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

gardenparty

This song would work pretty well done by MMJ

Can't wait to see what they whip out at the shows.

And yes it was maddening, Johnny.  Of course basement tapes was the last place I checked because I could have sworn I'd heard it a year or so ago. 

Great song! I'm digesting the rest of the album slowly

APR

Quote from: justbcuzido on Jan 06, 2015, 05:24 PM
Quote from: millerjustin on Jan 06, 2015, 04:57 PM

Personally, Id rather Jim come out and play it during the Dawes set. Kind of like I wanna see Jim do Highly Suspicious during PHJB instead of during the jacket set. I figure we get more Jim/Jacket songs that way if he plays those tunes during the other sets.

I support that concept justbcuzido.

Stevie

Regarding the video..  Is it just me or does jim blow the solo?  Sounds a little like some of his Regions solos but at least on regions there was a concept and it sort of went with that.  This just feels like he missed some notes or didnt get to others as quickly as planned.  Thoughts?  Would love to be set straight on this.

gardenparty

Quote from: Stevie on Jan 09, 2015, 09:48 AM
Regarding the video..  Is it just me or does jim blow the solo?  Sounds a little like some of his Regions solos but at least on regions there was a concept and it sort of went with that.  This just feels like he missed some notes or didnt get to others as quickly as planned.  Thoughts?  Would love to be set straight on this.

Yeah, he didn't nail it for sure.  Sounds good for its "uniqueness" though.   If you listen to live boots often Jim has a tendency to biff solos here and there.  But he does it with such passion :cool:

Stevie

Quote from: gardenparty on Jan 09, 2015, 11:38 AM
Quote from: Stevie on Jan 09, 2015, 09:48 AM

Yeah, he didn't nail it for sure.  Sounds good for its "uniqueness" though.   If you listen to live boots often Jim has a tendency to biff solos here and there.  But he does it with such passion :cool:

Ive noticed this in the past as well.  But i was never quite sure, i thought maybe something was over my head and it was really the coolest solo of all time.  I know war begun can be hit or miss, sometimes he goes with the metal fingers and it doesnt always work.  What does always work is when he slams the strings with his palm like that and just lets it bend.... Love that.  Ehh, like you said, its about the passion, doesnt have to be a technical masterpiece every time.  There are thousands of guys that could probably solo circles around him but if i had to pick one musician (for what i dont know) it would be Jim every time.