Take a Peek Under The Waterfall

Started by MACKEL, Mar 19, 2015, 09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDUB

I am especially appreciative that MMJ continues to evolve their sound with every album.

antonio

Quote from: MusiKel Mama on Mar 19, 2015, 10:58 AM
I swear to God I don't smoke pot. I just do a lot of yoga :smiley:

Do both!

EverythingChanges

I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Grateful Chabo

Compound fracture is a soulful jam...love Jim's vocals in the snippet
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

gardenparty

that opening tune sounds like a great choice for a show opener, depending on where it goes

I thought missed the point was sounding lovely with just the acoustic then it took on a sec walking feel when it kicked in.  hope there is some bare acoustic on the album version

easy way

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Mar 19, 2015, 11:40 AM
Quote from: JDUB on Mar 19, 2015, 11:35 AM
Quote from: easy way on Mar 19, 2015, 11:20 AM
This one's gonna be special...  :smiley:
More special than when Circuital or Evil Urges came out? I'm not trying to start anything, but it seems like half this forum likes everything MMJ has released, and the other half have been disappointed with everything after the Z album. I fall into the first category.

I like everything they have released, but also feel Evil Urges and Circuital were a step down from their previous works. Which speaks more to the transcendence of their previous work than the inferiority of their new stuff.  The video has me cautiously optimistic that the new album is going to be closer to the earlier albums. But of course, it's two minutes of a 45-50 minute album.

I'm just excited dude... I'm not trying to debate the stature of record vs. record or anything like that. If the OBH2 versions of 'Compound' and 'Only Memories' are any reflection, we're looking good live. I can tell I already love 'Get the Point' and 'Spring'. The 'Compound' snipit was sweet as well!
They've got the momentum and I'm on board. Can't wait for the GATH!  :beer:
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

CHIMMJFAN

What a great pick me up today! I'm digging everything I've heard so far, "Get to the Point" damn how pretty sounding is that track?

Hopefully they did a full on documentary of them recording this.

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

easy way

Quote from: CHIMMJFAN on Mar 19, 2015, 03:33 PM
What a great pick me up today! I'm digging everything I've heard so far, "Get to the Point" damn how pretty sounding is that track?

Hopefully they did a full on documentary of them recording this.

CHIMMJFAN

I'm sure Danny's sitting on plenty of footage... would love to see how this one shook out in the studio. The scenery looks amazing!
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Stevie

already like more than circuital.

When i first heard circuital i said to myself... "Why did they even bother making that album?"  Then i came to fall for songs like wonderful and slow slow tune and victory dance was the one instant winner.. but looking back, not an album i was ever really excited about..

This stuff though.. it's very different in some ways from everything else they have done, but there will be at least 5 or 6 songs that will be amazing live. 

MACKEL

Quote from: Stevie on Mar 19, 2015, 03:50 PM
This stuff though.. it's very different in some ways from everything else they have done, but there will be at least 5 or 6 songs that will be amazing live.

Any song that MMJ performs live is solid gold!

Been lookin back, down through the ages; First I was an ancient, then I was an infant, now I'm ALIVE

patrickbateman

It sounds fucking unreal. Every sound I heard blew my mind

Stevie

So they went with "some of the songs," but i like the way they did it. 

I can see why they went with Big Decisions as their first release.  Its the only one that sounds even close to their previous work.  That first track is unreal and im assuming that will be the first track on the album....and then OMR to finish it all off.  Wow.  The live potential of either of those songs is huge.

Here is what I am hoping for in the live realm:  instead of keeping the same format, replacing 7-8 old tracks with new tracks and rolling on, i hope they rethink some of their setlist staples.  Maybe there are some forgotten songs that now go great with the vibe of this new album that can make a resurrection.  For instance, there's that instrumental on it still moves that also showed up on the backside of the first roll call 7".  The song on the 7" was called Grab a Body and was new but the end was that old instrumental.  Ive always associated that sound with a gentle flowing of water.  There's also Chills, enormously positive and free flowing.  There may be better matches, though.  I just really hope they mix things up quite a bit.

highwaytothedangerzone

Enjoyed the tease it all sounds so great. They never said if they resolved the Hot Debate, in the name of symmetry i feel another video with more footage and clips of the other five songs coming in a week or so!
What's in Here won't disappear

grizzy

Big Decisions hasn't completely grown on me yet, and the first listen had me even a tad "worried" what's in store for us.

But, that's all over now with the first few notes of that first song. Holy sh*t that song is going to be awesome! I rewound it several times and just sat there with a smile on my face. It's got everything I love in their sound. Any idea what track it is?

Then, the small snippet of compound fracture got me even more excited (I've avoided listening to crappy OBH YouTube videos before the album is released).

Then Get The Point (is that the name?) put me over the top. My body is so ready for this album!

Oh, and a funny thing happened. Big Decisions got better for me when surrounded by its other siblings (other songs on the album).

EverythingChanges

Quote from: grizzy on Mar 21, 2015, 07:57 AM
Big Decisions hasn't completely grown on me yet, and the first listen had me even a tad "worried" what's in store for us.

But, that's all over now with the first few notes of that first song. Holy sh*t that song is going to be awesome! I rewound it several times and just sat there with a smile on my face. It's got everything I love in their sound. Any idea what track it is?

Then, the small snippet of compound fracture got me even more excited (I've avoided listening to crappy OBH YouTube videos before the album is released).

Then Get The Point (is that the name?) put me over the top. My body is so ready for this album!

Oh, and a funny thing happened. Big Decisions got better for me when surrounded by its other siblings (other songs on the album).

I think the first song is Spring (Among the Living).
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Mahgeetah34

I believe the songs in order are:

Spring
Get The Point
Compound Fracture
Believe
Big Decisions

armando

Quote from: MusiKel Mama on Mar 19, 2015, 10:58 AM
So I feel like it is possible that these little "snippets" are glimpses into the transcendent. But at the same time, if you are "seeking" them out, instead of letting them come to you, they are just feeding the ego, which can never be satisfied. This is why the waterfall is like the owls in Twin Peaks...when led by the duality of mind, they represent heaven and/or hell...but when received from a state of inner being-ness, represent the flow. In which case, maybe the next album is the stillness?

I'm with you, MusiKel Mama. Just gonna let the waterfall flow, come what may.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

jimsflyingv

.......NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY...................... :angry: :angry: :angry:

buymycar

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire