Sonos Studio Listening Party Contest

Started by logan5ive, Mar 27, 2015, 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justbcuzido

Walter knows how to keep his fans waiting...  :wink:
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

AlwxanderD10

Gahhh I neeeed to knooooooooow haha

Clarkwork

Was this broadcast anywhere?  Sonos going to do anything with it?
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

BigHerm

Priorities Walter!😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walterfredo

Ok, album was great, but still feel like I need to give it several more listens to really make an opinion. Can't say I'm completely in love with it quite yet.

I think Compound Fracture has some serious potential to go places live, and Jim commented that they had actually recorded the song in three very different formats and various speeds and that they couldn't decide which to put on the album, but he said he expects that the song will be played much more rawkn live than on the album.

Like a River is a very slow, melodic tune, Bo said the song just feels like Stinson Beach feels...the moist air, the ocean the stars, just totally reminds him of the whole feel of where they were holed up.

In It's Infancy (The Waterfall) I thought was so-so but others I think really loved it, some pretty cool lyrics, and Jim said that whenever he looks at a waterfall he wants to make it freeze in time and space and make the water just stop in place. He also said that during the recording period he became obsessed with all things waterfalls and started taking photos and buying every old, vintage photo of waterfalls he could find on ebay and elsewhere.

Get the Point is sort of the "Golden" of the album, slow acoustic tune, loved it.

I think among the living will destroy it live!

Tropics- all I could think about was Bon Jovi's Dead or Alive, but in a good way.

Only Memories Remain! Just wow. This song is fucking magic! They saved the best for last on this album, in my opinion. As witnessed in Mexico this song has legs and will be an amazing live staple. Hands down my favorite track and the audience was blown away by the song. Soooo good!

Other things...Jim apparently just worked on (produced?) an album for Ray Lamontagne (sp?)

One person asked "I heard a rumor MMJ will be playing Los Angeles for new years" and Bo immediately responded "No".

I asked..."well my first question, if I promise not to share it with anyone can I please have the test pressing we just listened to" and Jim immediately responds... "Sure" then the audience and myself get a little excited and he says "wait, did you say have? I thought you said hold, I'm gonna have to think about that" spoke to him for a bit after, I could tell he was really torn but said apologetically that he didn't think he could give it to me for leakage reasons. I didn't push it. Thought for a second though I had it!!

I spoke with Jason Bentley and he said the interview will not be aired on KRCW. The thing was filmed and one of the camera guys said it may be incorporated into an upcoming documentary about the band.

Crowd was interesting I'd say, probably around 50-70 people, almost entirely industry folk who were over chatty while the album was being played. Very easy to see who the roll call winners were! Good to see Danz and also meet a couple other hard core fans. Mostly the crowd was textbook Los Angelians.

vespachick

Nice reporting Walter!  So excited to have a listen myself!  Bummer he didn't give it to you!

LA folks will be LA folks.  (most anyway, obviously not me or Ms. Y or Tube Top.....lol)

EDIT: Jeeeeez! Where on earth will I be on NYE??????
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

walterfredo

Jim also said that murals of the album art are being painted at several cities around the country, keep your eyes open! They gave the location of the one in LA, Venice beach, I'm gonna go stop by it on my way out of town today.

johnnYYac

Excellent report, Walter! And Danz was there!   :thumbsup:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

vespachick

Quote from: walterfredo on Apr 01, 2015, 11:34 AM
Jim also said that murals of the album art are being painted at several cities around the country, keep your eyes open! They gave the location of the one in LA, Venice beach, I'm gonna go stop by it on my way out of town today.

Ooooh, I bet there will be one here in PDX!!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

walterfredo

Dean Warehem of Galaxie 500 was in attendance, as pointed out by Danz.

sb_gli

Very cool.  You should have given Jim your address so he could send you the album after the release.  I bet he'd do that.   :cool:

walterfredo

Quote from: sb_gli on Apr 01, 2015, 12:07 PM
Very cool.  You should have given Jim your address so he could send you the album after the release.  I bet he'd do that.   :cool:

The thought crossed my mind. He told me that had the album been coming out tomorrow or within a week he would have totally given it to me no problem, but since it's still more than a month out he didn't think it would be ok. I could tell he was really considering it though.

highwaytothedangerzone

Any comment on "Believe (Nobody knows)"--It's the album opener correct?
What's in Here won't disappear

CountSA

Awesome story about the test pressing!  Was it  CD or vinyl?

Varitek

Great reporting, thx for giving us the Lowdown. Nice effort on the test pressing....
"Did he just put on a cape?"

walterfredo

Quote from: CountSA on Apr 01, 2015, 12:18 PM
Awesome story about the test pressing!  Was it  CD or vinyl?

Vinyl

Quote from: highwaytothedangerzone on Apr 01, 2015, 12:17 PM
Any comment on "Believe (Nobody knows)"--It's the album opener correct?

I thought it was pretty good, could be great live. The interviewer asked them (and of course Jim answered most of the questions) which song on the album was the last to be actually recorded and Jim said that Believe was the last song recorded, so kinda interesting that it's the first track.

ellisintransit

waltefredo.....you are ace, holmes!  Thanks for the review.  It means so much more coming from a fan than from a journalist or website.   :thumbsup:

justbcuzido

Walter, would you say sonically the album is more like Z or Evil Urges? Or is it on a different spectrum? Any style youd say fits the album more than another?
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

APR

Great summary Walter.  What a special way to first hear the album and then get to talk to Jim about it.  Fantastic!

Taterbug

Much appreciated Walter,   Awesome you where one of the chosen few in attendance.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe