The Fans Review The Waterfall

Started by EverythingChanges, May 05, 2015, 10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontgetupset

Also just to add one thing about the Waterfall criticism (I hope people care to discuss this and my apologies if you're not into this discussion for whatever reason):

There is a SINGULAR RAWNESS that is on the first 4 albums and I would guess that THAT sound specifically was an attraction for everybody reading this forum. That rawness is both a mark of distinction for those albums (and part of what makes the band's "genre" unclassifiable) and a signature of the live shows (i.e. those that were introduced to the band via Bonnaroo).  That sound is COMPLETELY GONE on The Waterfall (except in Get The Point which could have been on any album to date). Again, PLEASE disagree.

Bye

beardedwonder

I happen to love the Waterfall album. I appreciate its brutal honesty, its sonic powers and how evolved Jim is as a human being. For me, its a layered showpiece of his present tense. Not angry or confused. Just accepting of life in life's terms and wonderment of what is possible. 

Even Pink Floyd, who i akin MMJ too, did not make everyone happy all the time with their album progression and ever evolving music. The band is doing what they want when they want. As they should. We either dig it or don't. Sure we can complain and get ramped up over "change" or lack their of in some cases but let it be. It's their roller coaster. Hop on or hop off. Like life, you are either the water and adaptive or you are the pebbles/rocks trying to stop/change the flow.

"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

parkervb

Quote from: dontgetupset on Aug 18, 2015, 12:55 PM
Also just to add one thing about the Waterfall criticism (I hope people care to discuss this and my apologies if you're not into this discussion for whatever reason):

There is a SINGULAR RAWNESS that is on the first 4 albums and I would guess that THAT sound specifically was an attraction for everybody reading this forum. That rawness is both a mark of distinction for those albums (and part of what makes the band's "genre" unclassifiable) and a signature of the live shows (i.e. those that were introduced to the band via Bonnaroo).  That sound is COMPLETELY GONE on The Waterfall (except in Get The Point which could have been on any album to date). Again, PLEASE disagree.

Bye

can't disagree that The Waterfall is not comparable to the early albums. But that's ok.

The first 3 albums are almost like a trilogy of sorts (I don't associate "rawness" with Z) and I think that we have to accept that period is gone.  Artists go through different periods and it aligns with one of my long-held beliefs that I don't have to like everything an artist creates b/c if I do it's probably b/c they aren't pushing themselves. So, in that vein, I can still appreciate it without having to tear it down. 
Don't you ever turn it off

dontgetupset

Great point, Parker. The wonderful thing is that my enthusiasm for the Beacon shows is not even slightly diminished by the fact that I think they produced an off-album. I still have unfettered love and as long as Jim is on that stage running around doing the ET finger thing that will not change.

parkervb

Quote from: dontgetupset on Aug 18, 2015, 01:29 PM
Great point, Parker. The wonderful thing is that my enthusiasm for the Beacon shows is not even slightly diminished by the fact that I think they produced an off-album. I still have unfettered love and as long as Jim is on that stage running around doing the ET finger thing that will not change.

plus you're likely to only get 3-4 Waterfall tracks out of 20+

see ya in NYC!
Don't you ever turn it off