Later... with Jools Holland - wed sept 16

Started by CC, Sep 13, 2015, 03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

tune into Jools this wednesday BBC2 22:00 GMT

Jools Holland returns to Maidstone with another magical combination of artists playing live together in the studio for one night only. Foals, Squeeze, My Morning Jacket, Rickie Lee Jones and Disclosure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06cktf0

GO4IT

While you're waiting for this, here's Black Metal from the last time they were on Jools Holland in Nov, 2011.  Other than the unveiling of Circuital in Louisville and this, I'm not aware of them using live backing vocals for HOTBM, and also horns.  They should do the live vocals more often, IMHO.

I was fortunate to be in the UK at the time to see them in Birmingham and Leeds from the rail with The Head and the Heart and some of the Forum Faithful.

johnnYYac

How does the affect viewing in the US?  I've always viewed Later... with Jools Holland on Palladia.  Not sure how their schedule matches up to BBC Two.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

buymycar

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 14, 2015, 01:52 PM
How does the affect viewing in the US?  I've always viewed Later... with Jools Holland on Palladia.  Not sure how their schedule matches up to BBC Two.

I'm pretty sure we get a hefty delay between when it's aired on BBC and when it airs on Palladia. So, we'll be getting Later...later.  :wink:

BH

Anybody have any idea when this was actually performed?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

CC

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Emb1528

Looks like we can watch it on the website after broadcast via their iplayer
Doesn't matter what you're doin', as long as you're losin' your head

johnnYYac

Nice, but its a shame it was an abbreviated version.  Also, I think Spring would have been a better choice, but who am I?

Lonndown27

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 16, 2015, 08:40 PM
Nice, but its a shame it was an abbreviated version.  Also, I think Spring would have been a better choice, but who am I?

YOU ARE ........RIGHT!!!! :)
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

steve_h

Hey, It was MMJ on TV here in the UK and it was great. Only criticism from me was that it wasn't a full show dedicated to them as everything else on the show was pretty bilge apart from Foals.
MMJ on TV over here is a big thing as this is the only TV programme in the UK dedicated to contemporary music and is only aired around fifteen times a year.

buymycar

I really dig the format of the show, in the round, kind of has a "battle of the bands" feel to it.

coldnebraskablue

Repeat on Friday, usually different performances and longer too, hopefully get two songs

justbcuzido

is it just me or did Jim's guitar sound a lot lower in the mix than normal?

I don't know why they'd choose this tune and not Spring/Compound. This song is one I personally would never use to get people into Jacket.

On a separate note, anyone else notice that they don't play Big Decisions at all anymore? I'm not complaining about that as that and Believe may be my two least favorite Jacket tunes.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

sillyboob

Quote from: justbcuzido on Sep 17, 2015, 11:13 AMOn a separate note, anyone else notice that they don't play Big Decisions at all anymore? I'm not complaining about that as that and Believe may be my two least favorite Jacket tunes.

I've noticed that, about Big Decisions.  Bums me out because it is a favorite of mine from The Waterfall.  I've noticed I'm in the minority on here about that though.  Not really sure why though.  I love how the song builds up to the refrain, and how there's the slowly descending piano notes.  I also like it because it's a song where JJ seems a little pissed off about things.  You don't get that out of Jim very often.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

coldnebraskablue

3 cuts on the extended repeat: Believe, Get the Point, Compound Fracture

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: sillyboob on Sep 17, 2015, 03:21 PM
Quote from: justbcuzido on Sep 17, 2015, 11:13 AMOn a separate note, anyone else notice that they don't play Big Decisions at all anymore? I'm not complaining about that as that and Believe may be my two least favorite Jacket tunes.

I've noticed that, about Big Decisions.  Bums me out because it is a favorite of mine from The Waterfall.  I've noticed I'm in the minority on here about that though.  Not really sure why though.  I love how the song builds up to the refrain, and how there's the slowly descending piano notes.  I also like it because it's a song where JJ seems a little pissed off about things.  You don't get that out of Jim very often.

I agree. I actually really like Big D as well.
I thought this was going to be the single that was played at every show (i.e. Off the Record...Circuital). I'm surprised at the drop off this song took. Im guessing either they just didn't like the way it was developing live, or maybe they weren't feeling the love from the fans for it (which I'm surprised about, but noticed there is a lot of dislike for this song on here). This is actually one song I think sounds better on the studio album than live, IMO. I don't know if it's the lack of practice with it live, or what. Seems like it is only played very randomly.

johnnYYac

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Sep 19, 2015, 10:48 AM

I thought this was going to be the single that was played at every show (i.e. Off the Record...Circuital). I'm surprised at the drop off this song took. Im guessing either they just didn't like the way it was developing live, or maybe they weren't feeling the love from the fans for it (which I'm surprised about, but noticed there is a lot of dislike for this song on here). This is actually one song I think sounds better on the studio album than live, IMO. I don't know if it's the lack of practice with it live, or what. Seems like it is only played very randomly.
I feel the same way about Believe.

justbcuzido

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 19, 2015, 06:36 PM
Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Sep 19, 2015, 10:48 AM

I feel the same way about Believe.

Agree that both sound better off the album than live. Which is the first time I have felt this way about any song this band does. I guess both Big D and Believe have grown on me a bit, but I'm not too upset to not see them in the rotation.

Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.