Jayhawks
Black Crowes
Neil Young
The Band
Court and Spark

tomEisenbraun

QuoteBuckethead?   :o Who you callin' a buckethead! :D

Just jokes baby!  
I have no idea who the efff this is.  Somebody enlighten me! ;Dplease.

aside from being the guitarist for GnR for a very brief period (he also supposedly recorded the album Chinese Democracy with them. This album has been slated for release for liek five years now, and still no mention. Axl's probably pissed that Velvet Revolver happened so he needed somehting to come back at them with) Buckethead has also played with the guys from Primus, and features Parliament's Bootsy Collins as the vocalist for a few of his albums.

He is one of the best riffers I've heard, and sometimes uses a technique referred to as "ten-finger tapping" to achieve this stellar a-tonal robot effect on his guitar. You sould give it a listen. If you like off the wall crazy shit, this sohuld be your bag. (Check out Bucketheadland 2 for some truly disturbing fun)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

MMJ_fanatic

How come nobody mentioned Gillian's "Revival" cd???  This one got me hooked!

I also forgat to mention in my list one of my all time favs  ::) (don't know what I was thinkin')  RY COODER!!!!  Another awesome fill-in-instrument-here artists.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

lyricjunkie

"How come nobody mentioned Gillian's "Revival" cd"

Well, didn't think of it...;)

"RY COODER!!!!"

I know I will be ashamed of this, but I can't connect the dots... I know the name and I feel certain I'll know the music, but my brain just can't seem to put the two together.  Help?! :-/
Talk less....
Say more.

MMJ_fanatic

Check out "Into The Purple Valley" a collection of dusbowl-era classic music.  I especially like his version of Leadbelly's "On a Monday".  Most recently he was instrumental in putting together "The Buena Vista Social Club" motion picture and soundtrack.  I remember him playng on the old Ralph Macchio movie "Crossroads" and the soundtrack for the movie "Paris, Texas".  Other yummy cds:  "Paradise and Lunch" and "Chicken Skin Music"--tasty!

Sal Paradise

I've been listening a lot to Kool Keith's Black Elvis.
It's Outrageous!
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

lyricjunkie

Thanks.  I'll check out "Into the Purple Valley" , and I'm familiar with the Crossroads movie music.  Liked it quite a bit if I recall correctly.  :-*
Talk less....
Say more.

MMJ_fanatic

GILLIAN WELCH FANS HEADS UP:
Gillian Welch on CMT
CMT (Country Music Television) is currently airing the BBC four-part documentary entitled "Lost Highway: The History of American Country." Gillian Welch is prominently featured in Part Four entitled "Sweethearts of the Rodeo". It will air Friday, August 6, 2004 at 9:00 PM ET/8:00 PM CT.

The episode will re-air on the following dates: Sunday, August 8, 2004 at 9:00 PM ET/PT, Thursday, August 12, 2004 at 8:00 PM ET/PT, Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 6:30 PM ET/PT, and Sunday, August 29, 2004 at 8:00 PM ET/PT. Visit www.cmt.com for additional show times and information.

www.gillianwelch.com

corey

I saw this on Trio a few weeks ago. Good stuff.
I learned a lot about Hank Williams.

MMJ_fanatic

TELEVISION NEWS
Gillian Welch & David Rawlings perform on the television show Soundstage this week on PBS. Other artists on the program include Joan Baez and Nickel Creek. Most markets will air the program on Thursday, August 19 or Friday, August 20. Check www.pbs.org to find out when it will air in your area.

katkillad

here's my list...its very diverse. for years I always said, "I can never pick a favorite band because its just too hard with all the music i listen to." However, that was before I was enlightened by mmj.

Coldplay
Tool
A perfect Circle
Forget Cassettes
Toadies
Burden Brothers
Queens of the stone age
Nickel Creek
Dave Matthews Band
Ben Folds
Rage Against the Machine
The White Stripes
Blur
Gorillaz
George Strait
Garth Brooks
Dashboard Confessional
Weezer
Presidents of the United States of America
Deftones
Phantom Planet
System of a Down
NIN
Alice in Chains
Pink Floyd
The Doors
Sublime
Jewel
White Zombie...

I could keep going, i'll stop there. I know I probably left some important ones out.

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteI could keep going, i'll stop there. I know I probably left some important ones out

no, no...don't stop.  what are the important ones left out here?  
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

James Marshall Hendrix pehaps? ::) (or maybe Led Zep???)

marktwain

I've been listening to a lot of Bob Marley lately;  I figured my newborn, Abe, would dig it.  I've heard that babies like reggae.  Sure enough, he loves it.  I go for long stretches when I don't pull out my Marley cd's, but each time I do, I am blown away.  Man, he is the King.  

I was surprised to find out Abe likes Buju Banton, too.  I thought the gruff voice would scare him.  But no.  

Laura

Hi!
At the moment I love to listen to

Muse (one of  fav. band )
Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins
Richard Ashcroft/Verve
Bonny Prince Billy
sleepy jackson
Nicolai Dunger
Pearlfishers
Rufus Wainright
The bees
supergrass

And I am a fan of the old stuff, too

Al Green (amazing voice)
Beatles (for me best band ever, sorry MMJ :D )
Van Morrison
David Bowie