Main Menu

Run Thru

Started by johnconaway, Sep 14, 2004, 05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

most excellent rock anthem, this nugget of power from ISM is a hoot live.  rocks ya to the core...the mid section breakdown with fuzzy bass and "chase the killer" vibe it emits is just awesome.

thoughts?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

TheMollusk

i thought it was an interesting choice as a single/ep. but getting it made me pay closer attention to the song and appreciate it a hundred times more. now its one of my fav. mmj songs. they didnt play it live here tho

MMJ_fanatic

I think  the music on it is awesome as a whole--great classic riff-- but lyrical content is a tad shallow ;)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

corey

Does the middle part not sound a lot like the breakdown that Pearl Jam used to do (or maybe still does) in "Porch"?

Well, at least the little bass riff does, IMO. It's a note or two off from it.

Either way, I still like it.  :)

is it just me or does the last repeat of the into section sound a lot LOUDER?  i swear when i've heard it live that there's some kind of dinosaur sound in there...maybe it's just the ringing of my ears.  :D

MMJ_fanatic

I believe there is a volume swell at that point

TheMollusk

hey fanatic, what happened to you're cool 'barney' thread?

MMJ_fanatic

Oz

Okay, you'll probably attack me now, but at the first, say, thirty times I heard I absolutely loved that song, but I can't help it, it's kind of wearing off. Somehow the thrill is gone. Maybe it's a temporary thing, but I've grown a little tired with certain bits of It still moves, including 'Run thru'. Anyone else has that experience, or is it just me?
I'm ready when you are

hey, attacks aren't necessary, that's your opinion.  that's why i posted this, to gauge listeners reactions to this and other songs.

you should know better than that by now, Mr. O!!  :)

Sal Paradise

I think it's a song that works best LIVE. I don't care much for the album version but live it just punches you in the gut. I feel the same about Easy Morning Rebel. My least favourite track from ISM is Rollin Back. It just doesn't do it for me. Yet.
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

ah, but what about the line:

oh i'll never say I knew you
but my heart cant wait
to meet you no the other side.

that makes the whole song for me... :)

MMJ_fanatic

I definitely go wilder when I hear this LIVE!!!

i hear ya on that.  wait, i can't hear after that song is over!

The Boar

Considering this is in my top 5 MMJ songs, I have to say I prefer it on the album. When I've heard it live it hasn't been nearly as tight or precise. The album version has such a southern-gothic feel to it -- straight out of a Faulkner novel or something. And Fanatic, I have to disagree about the lyrics -- I think they are some of Jim's best to date. Simple yes but minimalist in a good way - very emotive despite the sparsity. They remind me of some of the best writing in Tennessee Fire.

On top of all this, I love the main guitar riff coming back in over Jim's voice at about the 1:45 mark (as well as the 4:15 mark). The breakdown is very avant-garde/cool, but the first part is especially affecting for me.

Alright, Mollusk, I have steeled myself. Fire away, "hahahahahaaaahaha" ad nauseam.

havibulin

Quoteis it just me or does the last repeat of the into section sound a lot LOUDER?

jim cranks up the v for this part...definitely louder.
for me...right now anyway, this is my favorite song to hear live. I wouldnt mind if they stretched it out more than it already is.