MMJ tribute album

Started by olwiggum, Jul 22, 2004, 10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfish

QuoteFuck, Lfish, that track of your band sounds like a drugged-up Nirvana!  

Thx O!

'Though no drugs or bullets were involved here  :)

Hey,

I appreciate your multivocalling thing on O is the one that is real. I bet you had a lot of success in the streets of Berlin?

Did you record it on an 8-track?

Btw, Which equipment did you guys use after all?

Here's my list:

Rhytm guitar: Folkguitar on a peavey amp transtube 112S (no effects involved
Lead guitar: Copy of gibson les paul on peavey  transtube 112S, effect pedals: zoom 3030(sucks big time, any one an idea for a new good floorprocessor?)

All sounds transferred to mixtable and recorded on mp3 recorder.
lfish

wordawg

lfish you've just got all Startrekky techno.

;)
the future is Ginger

Oz

Ehm, a friend of mine recorded in on his computer with just a cheap microphone, but his computer program could handle a real bunch of overdubs and at one point he went away to make us dinner and I went berserk adding overdubs. "Okay, I've got the vocals and the guitar, let's add some handclapes. Mmm, nice. Now some extra vocals. And some extra vocals. And some extra vocals. And hey, that tight space over there, I might add some extra vocals over there. And some more..."  :D
And then he made this crazy AM mix of it and now everything sounds like one big blur. :)
I'm ready when you are

lfish

Lol!

Seems like you enjoyed yourself big time  :D
lfish

corey

I used Fruity Loops to program the drum loops.
I have a "Shenandoah by Martin" guitar that I used for the guitar tracks. It's supposedly Martin parts that were assembled in Japan.
I used a cheap-ass Radio Shack mic to record the vocals and some of the guitar tracks. The rest of the guitar tracks were recorded using my Fender Princeton Chorus amp.
I have a cheap little Fender bass that I used for the bass parts.
I used Vegas Studio to record the tracks and used Sound Forge for EQ, reverb, etc....

ben grimm

I used a washburn acoustic and an 80's Japanese strat into pro tools on a mac.

EC

HEY!  There's new information on the website about the band "Buddy" that did Phone Went West.  YEAH!

Ummm, I used, jesus let me check, my YAMAHA F-130 acoustic guitar that I got used for $100 because a dog had chewed on it, so the "aesthetics" weren't as good.  Which is retarded, because I LOVE the fact that a dog chewed on it, and I also love the sound.  (My next guitar is the big early 50s Gibson jumbo-body that I was drooling over in the guitar store yesterday.  It's only $6000. [!]  I tried to sweet-talk the owner into thinking that it would be EXTREMELY cool and very good karma of him to sell it to me for less.  Say $400.  But he wasn't buying my charm that day.)

The xylophone doesn't have a brand name, but it was made in Belarus.  

I recorded on my computer using GoldWave (which is a free program).  I used the microphone that came with my computer.

I don't know what kind of equipment Mark used.  A very nice microphone, that's for sure.  He's pretty fancy, so I can safely say that his mixing program is WAY better than mine.  (He probably bought it.)  Um,  he uses a mac, so pro tools sounds familiar to me...  (Shit, is pro tools a video editing program?  I can't remember what's what.)

ben grimm

Pro tools is what many studios use these days, it can be very fancy and you can polish turds with it, but its also very fast and has lots and lots of lovely re-verb thingies on it.

EC

You can polish turds with it?  Shit!  I gotta tell Mark - his Dad has a farm in Saskatchewan!!

marktwain

Really nice work, everybody!! The tribute sounds and looks great!

Extra Special THanks to Wiggy and EC for their initiative!  I only wish I had the technology necessary to contribute - I could've done 'Hopefully' with my new Xmas Banjo.

Oh, well.  You'll all have to come over one day and we can have a big, messy jam session.

corey

So you got your banjo? Awesome!

Can you play G yet?  ;)

SMc55

QuoteYou'll all have to come over one day and we can have a big, messy jam session.

That sounds great. Unfortunately I have no musical talent so would there be room for a cheerleader of sorts?

MMJ_fanatic

how about drink service Dr.?
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

SMc55

Booze certainly 8)    I would be ashamed to serve my coffee to any Americans  :-/

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteBooze certainly 8)    I would be ashamed to serve my coffee to any Americans  :-/

Nonsense, I'm sure your coffee is just fine!  Besides, our coffee is all homogenized, what with Starbucks and whatnot...I'm certain it would be great!  Bring it on!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

sweatboard

Great job on the tribute album.  I love all the tracks.  I really love what O did with the layering and what EC did with the xylaphone very creative stuff.  Olwiggum, I love your voice very cool and unique, I imagine Jim will be very flattered.  Also the mastering of all the tracks was very well done.  Can someone tell me how to print a cd sized version of the cover art?  Thanks,

Brian  
There's Still Time.........

EC

Yo dawg! I just sent you a pm!

I am presently rocking out to O.

corey

Thanks Sweatboard. I appreciate it. I still can't believe that I recorded something and let other people hear it. Most of the stuff that i try to sing on just sits around and never gets heard by anyone but me.
I may actually work up the nerve to write/record some stuff in the next few months.
I kind of want to record a few other covers just to work on the production side of things. I have a pretty basic set-up here at home, but I think the production on my tracks is OK. I also want to practice recording some banjo and mandolin stuff, so I have a few songs in mind to try them out on...

Oh, I am already thinking about which track I want to record for the next MMJ tribute CD.  :)

EC

Ha ha, me, too.  Which one for you?

(I'm thinking Hopefully)  (today,anyhow.)

Zmog1974

Well done guys and girls the albums great...E.C YOUR VOICE IS GREAT.i.love " I wanna celebrate with you".
 Like a few other people i never managed to get my track in on time and now the project is completed, regret that i did'nt. The studio in my Bro's house is now fully functional..so im definitely up for recording on the next one. I'll start recording during the next few months, so by the time Olwiggun posts again ..i'll have em in the bag. Im considering a track of the "Learning" album. My brother has a song in the pipeline and our band has one too. So thats three songs for a start.
Olwiggum sorry i never replied before..im a busy man.
Hopefully next week i'll have a less stressful job (interview) and that means plenty of more time on my hands to get the creative juices flowing.

Once again well done guys ;D