Main Menu

MY mmj

Started by PAjake, May 02, 2005, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Oh please.  That's totally different.  Modest Mouse DOES get a lot of airplay here, and so does FF.  There's getting exposure, and then there's exposure-so-great-that-small-aquatic-life-forms-in-Indonesia-have-the-notes-encoded-into-their-DNA.  Which do you approve of?

Of course MMJ are going to get more popular, and invariably there will be such things as what you describe.  I just don't see 10000000000 spins of their new single every hour as the best thing, IMHO.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Sal Paradise

QuoteOh please.  That's totally different.  Modest Mouse DOES get a lot of airplay here, and so does FF.  There's getting exposure, and then there's exposure-so-great-that-small-aquatic-life-forms-in-Indonesia-have-the-notes-encoded-into-their-DNA.  Which do you approve of?

Of course MMJ are going to get more popular, and invariably there will be such things as what you describe.  I just don't see 10000000000 spins of their new single every hour as the best thing, IMHO.

I see what you mean with overexposure but just don't see how that makes a band a 'sell out'. I don't think it's fair to blame those bands just because they're getting played all over the place. It's really the music biz / media that's fucked up.
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

well, bands make decisions to either limit or maximize that exposure.  there's a happy medium, and I'm sure we'd all agree that MMJ have struck a balance anyone could respect.

sweatboard

Quotewell, bands make decisions to either limit or maximize that exposure.  there's a happy medium, and I'm sure we'd all agree that MMJ have struck a balance anyone could respect.

Nicely said John.
There's Still Time.........

ycartrob

Some would say selling your music to use in a Coors commercial would be "selling out". Some would say being on MTV is "selling out". Some would say bringing a tamer product to record is "selling out". Some would say selling merchandise is "selling out". Some would say using drum tracks is "selling out". Some would say being played on the radio is "selling out". Some would say playing for money is "selling out". Who cares? I mean, you either like the music or you don't. You really think the members of Metallica are the same people as they were in 1983? No one changes in 22 years? So the new Metallica sux? So don't go see Metallica. I don't go see Aerosmith anymore b/c I am not into their new music. Are they "sell outs"? Who gives a shit; after they released Rocks, all bets were off. Aerosmith rocks, period. Right now My Morning jacket is probably my favorite band. I know at the 40 Watt Sat. night I was probably elbow to elbow with some folks who listen to music that I don't like (and perhaps those around me weren't big fans of Yo La Tengo or Neutral Milk Hotel or Bob Mould or Hank Snow or Built To Spill or Parker and Lilly)...Did all that really matter during the middle of OBH when everyone around me was losing their minds? And the drunk college kid who kept bouncing off me and holding on to me, who had the biggest grin on his face I have ever seen, does it matter to me that he might like Dave Matthews or he voted for Bush or perhaps is a Yankees fan? Absolutely not. It's rock and roll folks; either you like it or don't, but at some point, somewhere, EVERY band is a "sell out". Who cares?

again, it is a level of exposure that (for me and me alone) facilitates a sense of "oh brother, not that fucking Modest Mouse song again" pit-of-my-stomach nausea incurred...that's what I mean.  Sure, what you mention (to some) would be the hallmarks of whatever it means to "sell out".  But it's a matter of perspective:  one man's meat is another man's poison.  

I personally don't see anything wrong with making a living.  Touring forever sounds like hell.  Making a few bucks on the side with licensing is a good thing for the heroes at work here.  Becoming the Anusol spokesman would make a case for the classic "selling out" rant.  Again, it's all perspective and a level of obiquity that informs my opinion (and my opinion alone) on this.

Do I really care enough to have some sort of childish hissy fit if Jim showed up on the OC?  Hell no!  This is their band and their career-they are making the absolute best of it and my hat's off to them.  Rawk on.

ycartrob

Jim on the OC, with Patrick in the back, mugging down on a couch with Rachel Bilson, Sept. Blues in the background...cooool! I'd watch the OC for that!

;) hehehe good one

whothrewthecake

haha if mmj made it on the OC, i might actually watch it. right now i'm scared of it. and peter gallagher's eyebrows.