My take on the "leak"

Started by johnconaway, Jul 14, 2005, 06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

havibulin

Quotecan't blame the leaker (when you love something so much you want to share it with others who will love it), can't blame the leakees either. it's not a diary, its a commodity - it was built especially to be distributed.

I blame the leaker. and although it is a commodity, it shouldn't be. For a lot of bands, thier music is a commodity. for this band, it shouldn't be treated that way.

Elizanne33

I think the people downloading the album are doing it because they have anticipated a release for so long, and I'm sure most of them are downloading with the good intention of buying the album when it comes out. I completely understand everyone's eagerness to hear the whole album. However for me personally it just seems wrong. I think the people on this message board are good people who don't mean any harm in their actions. However there are a lot of other people who will just take the album knowing they will never buy it. I know this will happen regardless of the leak. There is a much larger societal issue raised here. The fact that so many people feel it is acceptable to take something that is not meant to be theirs, or to take without compensation and not recognize it for what it is: stealing. It is upsetting to me because I would feel devastated to have someone or a group of people take my efforts and hard work without my permission.

I may be the only person who is excited about an October release date. It will be well timed for me. It will come right in the middle of my last quarter of student teaching, a period when I will be overwhelmed with stress from teaching, taking classes, and working. I'll need something to keep me sane, and listening to the album will be a very salubrious experience for me.

darkglow

i dont really know what else to say.. i'm a really big fan.. i love these guys.. i contribute alot to their cause.. this album leak will probably be for the better for them.. imagine how much buzz there will be around october 5th.. this album will sell way more than ISM.. i don't think the negatives outweight the positives.. for every 2 or 3 people who "steal" this record.. they'll probably 10 that buy it or go to the show and buy a t-shirt or a vinyl or something else. i for one know that for the past year i've done as much promoting for the band as any other joe out there. i pretty much force feed my friends MMJ during camping trips or roadtrips.. and anytime someone asks me for some new bands to listen for this one is always the first one i ever bring up.

ChiefOKONO

all i know is im not going to listen to it until i buy it when it comes out.
there is just something special to me about getting a cd that is so highly anticipated and opening and listening for the first time on headphones!!!!

AlmostThere

[size=13][/size]this is some DRAMA.
 Brother against Brother. Civil War.
the Days of Our Lives. Jesus, People

SALUBRIOUS is a great word!

[size=13][/size]NICE ;)

Mr. Blonde

You kids don't play so rough.
Somebody's gonna start crying.

j/k "You have me worried..."

tomEisenbraun

Quotecan't blame the leaker (when you love something so much you want to share it with others who will love it), can't blame the leakees either. it's not a diary, its a commodity - it was built especially to be distributed.

Ok, yes I can blame the leaker. Like whoever it was before said, someone had to violate the band's trust to get this out. I've been emailing Tommy, and he said he didn't even know that Billboard had gotten an advance copy. So somebody's gettin it around, hopefully not ATO. What blows, is that I'm sure this is pissing hte guys off, and they probably are going to be tighter with stuff in the future. I would.

Also, this was NOT supposed to be released yet. Maybe they are done with the album production. There may be nothing left to do to it, but they want to make sure the album art or whatever is perfect. I don't really give a damn what it is, but no one's supposed to have this right now, so I think it would be nice to respect the band in that matter. No you DO NOT deserve to hear this if friends and family can. You are not friends and family. You may be a diehard fan, but if a member of the band has not personally decided to enlighten you with a copy and their trust, then you do not deserve to listen to it. The word "deserve" doesn't even belong in this discussion. You don't deserve anything, except some damn rockin tunes on October 4th because that's the release date.

So be it.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

fitzcarraldo

I deleted it. Full sonics await, it sure isn't the final product. I'd advise everyone who has it here to delete it as well. Peace!

EC

QuoteI deleted it. Full sonics await, it sure isn't the final product. I'd advise everyone who has it here to delete it as well. Peace!
You just made my fucking day.  WORD!!!   ;D

peanut butter puddin surprise

Wow.  This thread has been read 1283 times...kind of amazing...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

JacketGal

Lots of views, yes! It's obviously a very hot issue! Here's an interview with Jeff Tweedy where he speaks about the whole downloading issue:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.02/view.html?pg=5

I agree with him and I think there's a key difference about downloading music that EC brought up with respect to Wilco and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and the leak of 'Z.". Wilco approved the download and the fans were the lucky ones. In this case, I don't think that the Jacket wants 'Z' to be out there already, we're talking about a leak here, not downloading after it's been for sale.

For many years people have been making copies of records on tape for friends....and that will always be the case. We all make copies of official releases for ppl or make comp CDs, without permission of the artist. I really don't think this hurts sales, if you like the record you go out and buy more.  

The leaking of any product before it's officially released is just wrong, imho!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

fitzcarraldo

Thanks for that JacketGirl. I liked what the Wilco fans did (the ones who got to hear and have the record by downloading it from the filesharing places before the release date). A lot (or some) of those fans donated money to Wilco's favorite charity.
     So I'm proposing the MMJ fans here who have downloaded it donate 10 bucks (the cheapest way you'd get it via itunes) each to the Jacket's favorite charity.
What do you think? Since I have downloaded (but since got rid of) where do I send my 10 bucks to? The Hunger Site perhaps?

EC

You sweet pea!!

Maybe we could all just donate a bunch of money anway.  There's a medical clinic somewhere off Baxter/Bardstown road, isn't there?  Like a free one or something?

What about that?

MickeyReds

There is a release date for a reason!Its like a holiday in MMj world. Everyone can enjoy the record at the same time. Its a celebration. You dont celebrate the Memorial day , or the 4th of july On different days than other people.I dont see why this should be any different. I dont get christmas gifts in september!!!! And this is like a christmas gift to true MMJ fans. so wait for it!
As long as you keep a straight face...

bradley abell

well if you were a kid and could get your presents a few months earlier would you say, "no, it will be more special in december when all the kids get their presents!"...haha most of us would not

tomEisenbraun

good point, but most of us are not eight years old and understand how to wait and that it makes things more special when you finally get them
 ;)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

havibulin

i think this record was meant to be a fall release anyway. sittin' on your deck, enjoying the cool breeze as you tip back a few whiskeys and listen to the 'new' record.
that's reason enough for me to wait right there.

nothin' better.

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...