Dutch Reviews

Started by admin, Oct 17, 2005, 06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

Quotehttp://www.mondtotoor.be/public/cds/detail.php?cdID=1296

5 Stars (Even your children still gladly will hear this.) what a great compliment

BMG: 82876716942 ASTRE: Our ear in exaltation: How small My Morning jacket are also always are, their music always ` larger than life has sounded. That has everything with the echoënde consonance cupboard of zanger do Jim James, but also with the jet ear wall and the productiegalm which gradually their trade mark has become. On z registers now all are drawn open. My Morning jacket have never this way unarguable differently sounded and unarguable themselves. Producer John Leckie has defied the link and type-setter/zanger Jim James has that challenge still further uitgerekt than possible was considered. The eternal comparison with Neil Young he of itself has shaken off and on the one number James resound as Brian Wilson on other then as Joey Ramone. We let us perceive at It Still Moves a light evolution in music, then is more certainly today nothing. Z is zowat the most formidable challenge which can contract a link with itself. _ My Morning jacket be outside itself go and have a group discover that - in a equitable world - the universum must can conquer. This is MMJs own O.K. computer and he continues sit in our chargercharger charger to end 2006.

LaurieBlue

Quotehttp://www.mondtotoor.be/public/cds/detail.php?cdID=1296

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/magazines/news/index.jsp?portals=2534202&magazines=10719222&news=24603921

Louisville, a considerable city in the state Kentucky, have been mainly confessed because of whisky which comes there from. Less is confessed that there also a complete trits muzikanten comes from Louisville, such as Will Oldham. But maatjes also its of cultband Slint and David Grubbs, key character within the indiescene of Chicago and confessed of Gastr Del Sol comes there from. Why this geography lesson? Because the makers of Disque headstock the drawer Semaine z comes there also from: My Morning jacket. Just as the memory freshens up himself: In 1999, the debuut The Tennessee Fire appeared. Only in the Netherlands we ran all shouting with joy to the plate shops; in the rest of the world remained suspected quietly around the release. In the years afterwards followed several link sure awl and signed the link at a large plate society. For the year a new cd. z appeared is the fourth. The foundation of - meanwhile - the vijftal is still called Jim James. The strength of My Morning jacket always lay in the roots of the link. You heard the grand prairies, whisky smelled himself and you felt the suffering of poor leave Kentucky. The suffering that also singer/songwriters such as Neil Young and Will Oldham feels. And that therefore a number of albums long. Until it 2005 is and it comes for the link. Probably someone of the plate society Jim James has told that ' it is now or never '. You cannot your levenlang remain world-famous in the Netherlands. And therefore the British producer John Leckie was engaged. Leckie produce to the current link, but have an impressive CV. He twisted Fool's to the buds at The Stone Roses then they applied prerecordings. And he zat also behind the mengtafel then Radiohead The Bends had. Furthermore he among others The produced liveliness, cast and the album k of Kula Shaker. And now therefore z of My Morning jacket. It can said: without Leckie z the zoveelste My Morning jacket album had been. Now it the best album of the link has by far become. Nou that opener takes Wordless Chorus: all trusted ingredients - drums, song, tests, bass and jet ear - are there, but improve latches, more nicely and more intensely than ever. The Neil Young have made tradition for an approach which earlier successfully applied Leckie at Radiohead. And then My Morning jacket get away extra good, because James have the strotje of a nightingale. Also in It beats 4 you hear you Radiohead: beautiful tight drumpartijen and full a pallet to jet ear and organ sounds. What a Wonderful man has something of Guided By Voices whereas sounds off the record as a number of The WHO from the years 80 other references on the album is The Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev and perhaps also ordinary Supertramp and U2. My Morning jacket make up themselves already for strong stadiontournee. Bigger, better and of course net something too short.

lfish

Thx Riny voor al deze schitterende posts.  Bij elke lezing, gaat mijn hart sneller kloppen en vraag ik mij af waarom ik deze cd nog niet gekocht heb.   SHAME ON ME  :o

Is er al een Europese tourné (général) gepland?
lfish

lfish

Laurie,

those translation programs are hilarious.  ;D

Nevertheless, the bottom line of all reviews is the following:

MMJ for President!
lfish

Chills

QuoteLaurie,

those translation programs are hilarious.  ;D

Nevertheless, the bottom line of all reviews is the following:

MMJ for President!

There was a glowing review in Humo (one of our most read magazines) this week. Z was declared album of the year  :D

Chills

There was a glowing review in Humo (one of our most read magazines) this week. Z was declared album of the year  :D

Here it is

We waren er bijlange nog niet uit wie ons eindejaarslijstje zou aanvoeren - Sufjan Stevens, The Magic Numbers, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, eels, Kaiser Chiefs, Antony and The Johnsons, The Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, Neil Young, Soulwax, The White Stripes, Admiral Freebee, South San Gabriel, Monza, Bright Eyes, Millionaire, M.I.A., The Earlies (zie verder) of toch maar één van de fonkelende Best of-boxen, wat een verplétterend jaar - maar nu weten we het zeker: 't wordt My Morning Jacket! Met 'Z' hebben Jim James & co. het onomkeerbare meesterwerk afgeleverd dat er al sinds hun debuut in 1999 zat aan te komen. De plaat heeft alles: de poëzie van Sufjan Stevens, de arabesken van The Arcade Fire, het diepe van eels, het gekwelde van Antony, de storm in het hoofd van Admiral Freebee, het opgewekte van Kaiser Chiefs, het hippe van Franz Ferdinand, het tintelende van The Magic Numbers and then some. Werkelijk níéts wensen wij op 'Z' aan te merken - of het moet detailkritiek zijn op het weinig aanlokkelijke, magisch-surrealistische cd-hoesje. De muziek stuitert alle kanten uit - vaak in één en dezelfde song - en omhelst en route verschillende genres, maar ontspoort nergens. Neem als voorbeeld halverwege de plaat het intrigerende 'Into the Woods', een valse trage: een hoempa-kermisdeuntje onder een complexe zanglijn zou als een tang op een varken moeten slaan, maar werkt hier wonderwel, en dan wurmt zich op het eind ook nog eens geheel onaangekondigd een mannenkoor de song binnen. Briljant! Van dezelfde orde is de withete, zinderende rock die 'Anytime' heet: hoe de oe-oe-oes als rubberen balletjes opbotsen tegen de betonnen muur van gitaren, bas, toetsen en drums! Of het aan een kwaaie Neil Young & Crazy Horse ontfutselde 'Lay Low' - lang geleden dat we nog eens van zo'n langgerekte vettige gitaarsolo mochten genieten. En wat gezegd van de heupwiegende country 'Knot Comes Loose', of van het slotnummer 'Dondante', dat tergend traag inzet - stem, drums en een toefje gitaar - om halfweg als een fusee open te spatten en daarna zachtjes weer uit te sterven. En op de eerste helft van de plaat staan óók niks dan hoogtepunten. De lome soul van het hypnotiserende 'Wordless Chorus', gezongen met een falset die zich tussen Neil Young en Jeff Buckley ophoudt, gaat vlekkeloos over in het hippe 'It Beats 4 U', 'Gideon' draagt de pathos van de bevlogen U2 uit, 'What a Wonderful Man' is een rauwe lap van een onweerstaanbare, erg Britse popsong, doormidden gekliefd door een gitaarsolo met vuile manieren, en in 'Off the Record' skankt Jim James à la The Clash een eind weg: lékker. Hoe organisch past daarbij de dub lounge die bassist Two Tone Tommy en drummer Patrick Hallahan aan het nummer hebben gebreid. Pfwioew.

Met 'Z' bewijst My Morning Jacket dat het The Band van zijn tijd is, letterlijk en figuurlijk. Een glorieuze plaat!

(cp)

LaurieBlue

"There was a glowing review in Humo (one of our most read magazines) this week. Z was declared album of the year"

Complete it are We were there bijlange not yet from which our eindejaarslijstje would invoke - Sufjan stevens, The Magic Numbers, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc party, eels, Kaiser Chiefs, Antony and The Johnsons, The arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, Neil Young, Soulwax, The White Stripes, Admiral Freebee, South San Gabriel, Monza, Bright Eyes, Millionaire, M.I.A., The Earlies (to see further) if nevertheless but one of glowing best of-boxen, what a verplétterend year - but now know we it certainly: t becomes My Morning jacket! With ' z ' Jim James & co. has delivered the irreversible master work that there already since their debuut in 1999 zat, to arrive. The plate has everything: the poëzie of Sufjan stevens, the arabesques of The arcade Fire, it deep of eels, it tormented of Antony, the storm in the head of Admiral Freebee, it bright of Kaiser Chiefs, the hippe van Franz Ferdinand, it tingling of The Magic Numbers and then some. Real níéts wish comment we on ' z ' - or it must be detail criticism on a little tempting, magical-surrealistic cd-hoesje. Music plays at marbles all sides from - frequently in one and the same song - and embraces and route several genres, but goes off the rails nowhere. Take as an example halfway the plate the intriguing ' Into the Woods ', false slow: kermisdeuntjekermisdeuntje kermisdeuntje under a complex song line beat as a grip on a pig must, but will work themselves within wonderwel, and then wurmt on the end also once more entirely unexpected a man chancel the song. Brilliantly! Of the same order the white-hot, shimmering rock are which ' Anytime ' are called: how oe-oe-oes as rubber pellets the opbotsen against betonnen the wall of jet ears, bass, tests and drums! Or ' Lay Low ' diddled to a kwaaie Neil Young & crazy Horse - a long time ago that we could enjoy once more such elongated greasy gitaarsolo. And what said of the waggling country ' knot of Comes false ', or of the lock number ' Dondante ', which provocatively slowly uses - voice, drums and toefje jet ear - to splash and afterwards softly to die half-way as fusee. And on first half of the plate then peaks also nothing stand. The heavy soul of the hypnotising ' Wordless Chorus ', sung with a falset which between Neil Young and Jeff Buckley stops itself, spotlessly in the hippe ' It beats 4 proceeds you ', ' Gideon ' carries out the pathos of the animated U2, ' What a Wonderful man ' a raw rag of an irrisistible, terrible British popsong, doormidden has been cleaved by gitaarsolo with dirty manners, and in ' off the record ' skankt Jim James à drawer The Clash an end gone: lékker. How organic is appropriate thereby lounge hesitates that bass player Two Tone tommy and drummer Patrick Hallahan to the number has gebreid. Pfwioew. With ' z ' My Morning prove jacket that the The link of its time are, litterally and figurative. A glorious plate!

Oh my gosh these are funny...but good! :-)

Chills

Quote"There was a glowing review in Humo (one of our most read magazines) this week. Z was declared album of the year"

With ' z ' My Morning prove jacket that the The link of its time are, litterally and figurative. A glorious plate!

Oh my gosh these are funny...but good! :-)

Ha, these translations are indeed wicked, it's even funnier if you can compare!
By the way, the last line should read something like this:

My Morning Jacket prove that they are The Band of it's time, litterally and figuratively. A glorious record!

EC

The Dutch are quite an intelligent and savvy bunch, aren't they? ;)

CC

love these translations. here's another...

http://www.nieuwerevu.nl/vdRedactie/top5muziek/

It Still Moves, the third album in 2003, in this heading 5 ASTRE deserved of My Morning jacket. To be behind we still. Continuator z is very differently. Less spun out jet ear solos (z lasts also considerable shorter); much more use of keyboards; the hollow consonances of the graansilo's in which took them, have made for the warmth of the studio and the opinion of five individuals (of which two new) for the hand of one producer. Result: less chaos, more structure. The plate starts and finishes with a couple fraaie ballads, rocknummers stand provide with celestial interludes. And zanger Jim James was never this way well at voice. That voice can be then frequently compared with those of Neil Young, z is ten times improves then his prairie wind. Z is even nóg improves then It Still Moves. Therefore 5, yes. At least. * * * * *

EC

Quotespun out jet ear solos
and
Quoterocknummers

Chills

and

The first one is really an invention of the translation program. What a creative thing that is, it certainly has it's own opinion on what should be written!

The second one is just rock songs, that sounds boring now doesn't it  :)

EC

(You quoted Blackadder!! :):))

Chills

Quote(You quoted Blackadder!! :):))

Yeah, Blackadder Goes Forth is my favorite of the series.

George is my favorite character:  
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Baldrick is brilliant too. And Colonel Melchett!
Oh well I love them all.

How about you?

EC

I liked Blackadder II the best.  I haven't watched it in AGES, but we used to watch it all the time alongside The Young Ones.  :)

That makes me want to go out and rent the entire series.

Chills

QuoteI liked Blackadder II the best.  I haven't watched it in AGES, but we used to watch it all the time alongside The Young Ones.  :)

That makes me want to go out and rent the entire series.

Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?  ;D

By the way, love me some Young Ones as well:
"The total and utter king of rock 'n roll... Cliff Richard!!"

Haha, and that hippy guy Neil, he was ridiculously funny.

EC

You put moonage daydream under Otis!!  (I didn't notice that before, so I feel as though it's new.)  Aaaahhhhhh, far out.

If you liked the Young Ones, do you know about:

I just found this link: http://homepages.tesco.net/~acp/badnews/bndreams.txt
Which basically has my favourite scene from the whole Bad News series.

:)

Chills

QuoteYou put moonage daydream under Otis!!  (I didn't notice that before, so I feel as though it's new.)  Aaaahhhhhh, far out.

If you liked the Young Ones, do you know about:

I just found this link: http://homepages.tesco.net/~acp/badnews/bndreams.txt
Which basically has my favourite scene from the whole Bad News series.

:)

No, never seen that, too bad. I'll look out for it.
It sounds like Spinal Tap.

Which is good  :)
The Tap rules!

EC

No, never seen that, too bad. I'll look out for it.
It sounds like Spinal Tap.

Which is good  :)
The Tap rules!
It's hard to find.  There are arguments all over the place as to whether Bad News or Spinal Tap came first.  Technically, I think that Spinal Tap was released first, but I think they'd been doing Bad News bits for a while before that...

Anyhow.  :)  Yeah, I have a lot of sewing that I'm procrastinating on right now.  Maybe I need to rent Blackadder and sew with it on.  :)  There's a big thunderstorm outside today.  Cracks of lightning all over.

Chills

It's hard to find.  There are arguments all over the place as to whether Bad News or Spinal Tap came first.  Technically, I think that Spinal Tap was released first, but I think they'd been doing Bad News bits for a while before that...

Anyhow.  :)  Yeah, I have a lot of sewing that I'm procrastinating on right now.  Maybe I need to rent Blackadder and sew with it on.  :)  There's a big thunderstorm outside today.  Cracks of lightning all over.

Interesting stuff, I didn't know all that.

Anyhow. Enjoy the mighty god Thor and his free thunder and lightning spectacle!

Some further advices for the day. Stay at home, watch tv, do your sewing and listen to the solo in Moonage Daydream, it's a good one.