You know who should Really produce the next record

Started by sweatboard, Apr 09, 2006, 02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

JIM JAMES!!!!!

I was listening to At Dawn last night and I really, really, don't think I've enjoyed the production on any album ever more than this one.  Jim was so creative and had such a good since of how to use the equipment in the very best way to make each song sound so special.  I am convinced that if he wasn't the lead singer of My Morning Jacket he would be the worlds greatest record producer.  I love what Leckie did but At Dawn is a flat out MASTERPIECE.  I mean how in the fuck did he get "I Needed It Most" to sound like that.  Really, I want to know.  I hope Jim spends some time with some new recording equipment and considers producing the next record himself, or let's someone else help out a little but does most of it himself.  Jim O'rourk would be a good choice to though.  Thoughts?  or just comments on why At Dawn is the best record ever produced by mankind.
There's Still Time.........

chris

I agree.  It's definitely my favorite MMJ record.  Of course it was my first MMJ record, and the one that made me fall in love with the band, so I'm sure any record after that would be hard to measure up.  It's so beautiful though, so I completely agree with everything you say regarding the sublime production on this album.
yeah, so if it's sad, well you still gotta live till ya die

SMc55

I definately agree. I prefer the whole 'hand made' feel to the earlier albums.

BH

Jim's production of sound is what I love most about Early Record Vol. 2 as well.  Truely artistic.  I still hear that in Z though too.  I don't think Jim completely handed the reigns over.  Definately not the same though.

Then again, I just finished off a whole bottle of wine and I can hardly type. You probably shouldn't listen to me.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ratsprayer

i know ive said jim o'rourke before, and id be interested to hear that.

dave fridmann would do good things.  hes very good with the loud/soft/loud thing which he did well on mogwai's ROCK ACTION and did fantabulous things with mercury rev's DESERTER SONGS and the lips' SOFT BULLETIN.

i still think brian eno would make the best MMJ record ever.

peanut butter puddin surprise

John Paul Jones-for that extra special Zep touch.

Homer Ledford-for the Appalachia intertwined in all of MMJ's work

Moby-for a totally remixed MMJ record, replete with beats and backward masking and samples of old Etta James songs

Production-wise, I don't have a favorite.  The tunes either grab me or they don't.  I've often heard other people say that At Dawn and TTF should be remastered with different production values.  (lo-fi ain't their cup of tea, apparently)

As a longtime GBV fan, production varied from hissy four tracks with a drunken Pollard singing into a tin can or full Ric Ocasek treatment....(hmmmmmmmmmm he might do a good job), so I grew to expect records to sound all totally different from a production standpoint.  There's immense difference between TTF and At Dawn, but the average listener wouldn't get it.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteJohn Paul Jones-for that extra special Zep touch.

I like dis one!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

wellfleet

i think Pharrell and/or the Neptunes should produce. I love the wacky beats on Z like on wordless chorus and off the record and i think the band would welcome a hint of an urban touch, something with a flair for the boombastic.

i don't listen to britney spears but the neptunes' treatment of I'm a slave 4 u is way dance-y.
everything sucks. really.

SiOuxTribe

We definately need Jim to produce all their albums. Thats what gave them their haunting sound, and what I missed from Z.  Any professional can make an album sound good when hired, thats what their paid for.  But what they lack is that voice, that charm, that personality that Jim enduces in his own music as a producer.
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

sweatboard

QuoteWe definately need Jim to produce all their albums. Thats what gave them their haunting sound, and what I missed from Z.  Any professional can make an album sound good when hired, thats what their paid for.  But what they lack is that voice, that charm, that personality that Jim enduces in his own music as a producer.

I think you have a good point there. ;)
There's Still Time.........

tomEisenbraun

All that said, though, I think a good strong polished album is what was needed. Something that's accessible, and a good starting point for new fans. Z gives them the ability to be very accessible, and then the further back the fans go, the more they get surprised. Also, having Z done, being so short but so packed full of power, I think that gives them all the liscense they need to just go nuts recording and get pretty ambitious and more At Dawn-y on the next one.

Whatever happens, I am completely excited about the future of this band.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ycartrob

QuoteAll that said, though, I think a good strong polished album is what was needed. Something that's accessible, and a good starting point for new fans. Z gives them the ability to be very accessible, and then the further back the fans go, the more they get surprised. Also, having Z done, being so short but so packed full of power, I think that gives them all the liscense they need to just go nuts recording and get pretty ambitious and more At Dawn-y on the next one.

You used the word "accessible" TWICE in your post. TWICE. That's 3 times too many.

I don't know T, this changes things for me, big time...I'll get back to you, I got some major thinking to do about all this.

tomEisenbraun

oh shit, son!

All that said, though, I think a good strong polished album is what was needed. Something that's ear-catching and definitely without a doubt MMJ, but still a great starting point for new fans. Z gives fans the ability to get into them easily, and then the further back the fans go, the more they get surprised. Also, having Z done, being so short but so packed full of power, I think that gives them all the liscense they need to just go nuts recording and get pretty ambitious and more At Dawn-y on the next one.  

Yo check it, dat shit jus got revised, ycartBitch!
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteWe definately need Jim to produce all their albums. Thats what gave them their haunting sound, and what I missed from Z.  Any professional can make an album sound good when hired, thats what their paid for.  But what they lack is that voice, that charm, that personality that Jim enduces in his own music as a producer.

so, every record should sound the same?  even "haunting" needs a change every now and again.  Prince was very infamous for not ever using a producer, and stagnated careerwise and musically as a result.  having a producer aboard isn't just "let's get 10% more haunting out of this last note", it's a good way to check oneself and have another pair of ears audit what's going on.

not to just flat out disagree, but having a producer is (sometimes) a good idea.  I guess it depends upon the project-say, if Jim is doing an album of solo acoustic, then I wouldn't say a producer is a good idea-but in trying to stretch the sound sonically, as was on Z, a producer was a good idea.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

good point, jc.  sometimes it's hard to be the person that writes the songs, teaches the others how to play the songs, gets the people organized, plays and still has to have "outside ears".  sometimes it can be a good idea to get someone else involved who can provide a different take on things.  and sometimes you do it yourself.  and it's allll gooooood.  according to me.  :)

primushead

See, they could really just hold a contest on the board to see who gets to produce it.   We could have a month long contest, and whoever has the most posts in a month would get to produce the next album themselves.

I'm sure there wouldn't be any bumping at all during that time.... ;)