I haven't been this moved by a band since

Started by RockNRollJunkie, Jul 20, 2008, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockNRollJunkie

I don't know when. The last band I was this crazy about was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. When I listened to their music in middle school I felt most like "me" than I did at any other time. MMJ is the new band that makes me feel completely like myself with out any b-s.
A few months ago I had a discussion with my friend, asking what ever happened to the music that made you FEEL something? Whats the good in music if it doesn't change you or challenge you? I've been so relieved to see that MMJ has been holding all the magic of the music and steadily churning out albums with it. These guys are real artists to do what they do.
Yes. My first post is a completely useless "OH EM GEE I LOVE THESE GUYS" post. But my friends were tired of hearing me talk about MMJ and I figured I'd  spread the love with some people who might agree with me.

Anyone have a certain mmj album or song that makes them feel at home or happy to be in their skin?

I've listened to the songs "Mahgeetah" and "I'm Amazed" so many times, I think my dog is sick of them both.
See mom, I have friends. I'm on a "forum".

getinthevan

Anyone have a certain mmj album or song that makes them feel at home or happy to be in their skin?

If you haven't yet, go buy At Dawn.  That's one of those albums for me.

And welcome to the board.  I'd rather see this as a first post than a request for tickets.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

ycartrob

And welcome to the board.  I'd rather see this as a first post than a request for tickets.

ditto with At Dawn.

welcome  :)

Penny Lane

QuoteI don't know when. The last band I was this crazy about was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. When I listened to their music in middle school I felt most like "me" than I did at any other time. MMJ is the new band that makes me feel completely like myself with out any b-s.
A few months ago I had a discussion with my friend, asking what ever happened to the music that made you FEEL something? Whats the good in music if it doesn't change you or challenge you? I've been so relieved to see that MMJ has been holding all the magic of the music and steadily churning out albums with it. These guys are real artists to do what they do.
Yes. My first post is a completely useless "OH EM GEE I LOVE THESE GUYS" post. But my friends were tired of hearing me talk about MMJ and I figured I'd  spread the love with some people who might agree with me.

I've listened to the songs "Mahgeetah" and "I'm Amazed" so many times, I think my dog is sick of them both.

i agree! there is something comfortable yet alarmingly "otherwordly" about their music---other than the verve, i haven't related to any other music this much--welcome
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

sweatboard

Phone Went West, it crushes me.

WELCOME HOME.  :)
There's Still Time.........

RockNRollJunkie

Yay, you guys are nicer than other boards are to n00bs. I have tickets for the atlanta show. theyre semisucky but I'm just SO happy and grateful to be attending! I think I will deffinately get At Dawn next. I'm slowly but steadily aquiring more mmj music and liking each one more than the last.
See mom, I have friends. I'm on a "forum".

DaFunkyPrecedent

ryan adams is starting to take over my days...his music moves me very very much.  
God damn those shaky knees.

bold99

Quoteryan adams is starting to take over my days...his music moves me very very much.  

I right there with you on this.  I'm actually seeing Ryan and the Cards the day after MMJ in Boston at the same venue.  A few years ago Ryan took over.  Before that and still currently it was Wilco also.  The Wilco thing actually brought me to MMJ, first time I saw MMJ was opening up for Wilco.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Sparkle

Quoteryan adams is starting to take over my days...his music moves me very very much.  

I right there with you on this.  I'm actually seeing Ryan and the Cards the day after MMJ in Boston at the same venue.  A few years ago Ryan took over.  Before that and still currently it was Wilco also.  The Wilco thing actually brought me to MMJ, first time I saw MMJ was opening up for Wilco.

Hey I'm new to the forum but have been listening to MMJ for a couple of years. Absolutely love them of course but am also very much into Ryan Adams and Wilco. I'd like to widen my interests but being in the UK we don't get much exposure to the really good stuff. What else is everyone really into? Anything come close to the tingles felt after listening to dondante?  :o

ycartrob

Hey I'm new to the forum but have been listening to MMJ for a couple of years. Absolutely love them of course but am also very much into Ryan Adams and Wilco. I'd like to widen my interests but being in the UK we don't get much exposure to the really good stuff. What else is everyone really into? Anything come close to the tingles felt after listening to dondante?  :o

The National
Arcade Fire
Bon Iver
Explosions in the Sky

to name a few newer folks

bold99

recently...

Black Keys
Drive By Truckers
Mudcrutch
JJ Grey and Mofro
Sharon Jones and the Dapkings
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Howlin' Rain
Dinosaur Jr.
Two Cow Garage
Levon Helm
White Stripes
and always Neil Young.

chub-a-cabra

Wordless Chorus used to be the song that really moved me. But now it's just all of Z.
We forgot about love...

slimkim

QuoteI don't know when. The last band I was this crazy about was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. When I listened to their music in middle school I felt most like "me" than I did at any other time. MMJ is the new band that makes me feel completely like myself with out any b-s.

i am with you. can't get enough. they really speak to me. rem and dave did that to me, but these guys are it.

take a listen to this version of the way that he sings... you might melt.

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2000-12-17.fm.flac16

i have also been playing alot of Just One Thing. wow what a song.

tell me what you think.

enjoy and be well,

slim i am

there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

weeniebeenie

Quoterecently...

and always Neil Young.
Always... By the way, I really want to buy some Mudcrutch, what should I get?
How loud can silence get?

bold99

Yes get it.  Its one of the best albums put out this year in my opinion.  If your into Petty I also highly suggest the documentary that he put out Running On A Dream...great Heartbreakers and Mudcrutch stuff on it.

slimkim

i tend to like ryan's whiskeytown project better than the cardinals, but it's all about ryan anyway in either case.

there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

Easy Morning Rebel

All of MMJ's very first album The Tennessee Fire does it for me. :D
It gives me chills over my entire body...!
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

weeniebeenie

QuoteYes get it.  Its one of the best albums put out this year in my opinion.  If your into Petty I also highly suggest the documentary that he put out Running On A Dream...great Heartbreakers and Mudcrutch stuff on it.
Oh my gosh!!!! I love that movie, it's the reason why I want to buy some Mudcrutch. I love The Heartbreakers but I've only heard the Mudcrutch stuff on that. It's one of my favourite movies ever.
How loud can silence get?

bold99

The Mudcrutch album is awesome.  Great covers.  Its like a Heartbreakers album but more countryish.  Petty plays bass and the other guys sing on a few songs.  I love it.  Def get it.  I'm dying for Mudcrutch to do an East Coast tour.

Brella

Greetings!  I am new, too.  I saw MMJ at Riverfront Park in Nashville last Friday, and I haven't been the same since.  Their music is so full and rich and moving, and I feel swept away by each song and get lost in it.  Such beautiful stuff!  I'm so glad to read that others are equally moved by their talents.  I'm so glad to be a part of this forum!!!   :)