MMJ has made it BIG and this is my proof...

Started by BuyOrangeRacket, May 02, 2008, 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyOrangeRacket

http://www.live105.com/New-Rock-Weekend/2103769

Look who's on the playlist, second from the bottom.

Live 105 is a fairly mainstream alternative rock station in San Francisco. They can be heard as far south as Stockton and Manteca, California. To actually hear this station play some MMJ in a radio spot for their "new rock" (yeah...I know) weekend sent a shiver through me. First SNL and now this. Things are looking so, so good for this VERY deserving band.

I don't usually listen to the radio once I'm off work, but this weekend I'll be listening until they actually play 'Touch Me.
Charter member of the Fucking Awesome Weirdos Association of Northern California.

Elizanne33

Wow, I am surprised that they are going to play MMJ. So far the only radio station I've heard them on is KFOG, only a couple times at that. I don't listen to Live 105 that much anymore, but I will be tuning in this weekend!

lisaskye

that is torture with no button to purchase the toon..
My Morning Jacket         "touch me i'm going to scream"        

Ive got an EVIL plan babe

"I'm Amazed" was on WFPK Louisville's playlist today at 5:33pm.
Just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn't mean I  don't have evil urges.

RedPatokaSea

Touch Me isn't likely to see much radio time ... unless you have an outrageously awesome local station, or hear it on NPR.  

If MMJ gets increasing airtime around the release of Evil Urges, I think it's less due to the world discovering MMJ and their trancendent level of awesomeness, and more due to the fact that MMJ has made a move toward the mainstream on this album ... not as a whole of course (thank God).  Evil Urges has a few pop singles that fit the mold for radio play.  It reminds me of when I started hearing Float On by Modest Mouse on the radio.  I loved the band and loved the album, but the airtime was unquestionably due to a more mainstream sound ... for better or for worse.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear Evil Urges or I'm Amazed, but no station is going to play stuff like Touch Me Pt 2 or Smokin' From Shootin'.

Off the Record saw quite a bit of airtime after Z was released, but the best part of the song was cut off to fit time and probably stylistic constraints.  

-RedPakotaSea

Edit: Apparently I hadn't checked the link you posted.  That's pretty sweet.   :P

I assume Touch Me Pt 1?  Part 2 is wayyyy to long, right?.  

Elizanne33

It's on right now!!!!! Very different than anything I had expected, but I like it :)

Ive got an EVIL plan babe

I heard "I'm Amazed" on the radio in Bloomington tonight.  I guess I'll stop writing about it every time it happens as it seems it's starting to happen a lot.
Just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn't mean I  don't have evil urges.

BH

Does anyone else find it odd that people are hearing four different songs on the radio.  I mean seriously, I don't recall that ever happening on any other album.  I realize I don't pay as much attention to other stuff, but four different songs?

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BuyOrangeRacket

Quotethat is torture with no button to purchase the toon..  

LOL. I said the exact same thing when I first visited that page.

One thing I've noticed is that it's being played very little compared to the other bands they're showcasing. Hell, Weezer's "Pork And Beans" and the new Ting Tings tune (off their FIRST album ever) seems to get played at least once an hour. They still doing 'Pay For Play' in radio these days?
Charter member of the Fucking Awesome Weirdos Association of Northern California.

buymycar

Quotethat is torture with no button to purchase the toon..  

LOL. I said the exact same thing when I first visited that page.

One thing I've noticed is that it's being played very little compared to the other bands they're showcasing. Hell, Weezer's "Pork And Beans" and the new Ting Tings tune (off their FIRST album ever) seems to get played at least once an hour. They still doing 'Pay For Play' in radio these days?

That's the way Live 105 rolls.  Each hour, they have to play at least one Foo Fighters song, one Red Hot Chili Peppers song, one Offspring song, one Beastie Boys song, one Green Day song.  They've been playing Weezer forever, so it makes sense they'll be playing that song more.

So, for them to play MMJ is huge, like you said, because they're not an "established" Live 105 band.  Music director Aaron Axelsen is going to play them again tonight on his Soundcheck show from 7-10 pm, which showcases independent artists.  Axelsen's been playing that Ting Tings tune on his show, so that might explain why they're playing it more.

BuyOrangeRacket

Tuned into Aaron's program right now. Never really been this excited about terrestrial radio in a long time

BH

Our good budy Nic Harcourt played Evil Urges on yesterday's Morning Becomes Eclectic.  The show also included an excellent Grizzly Bear in studio set that's worth checking out.  Stream the whole show here....

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/sc/sc080504grizzly_bear/#
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

vespachick

And I heard Knot Comes Loose on the TV show Cold Case last night. I guess it was the season finale.  It was used perfectly, too.  Yay to whoever is doing the tunes on that show.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

buymycar

MMJ was number 21 on Live 105's Soundcheck countdown last night of best bands so far in the first five months of 2008.  That's pretty good considering the album isn't even out yet.  After playing Touch Me part 2, Aaron and his buddy Miles got into a discussion about how MMJ hates being called a jam band, which Aaron apparently read in Spin.  Miles said that when he thinks of jam bands, he thinks of bands like Phish or Dave Matthews Band.  He then said he thought MMJ was better than those bands.

Number 1 was Vampire Weekend.  I don't get the hype behind this band.

the_wizzard

Okay...this is silly to me...But, gosh darn it, Perez Hilton covered JJ's fall on his site!  Funny, I know, but true....

http://perezhilton.com/2008-10-08-its-a-hard-knock-life-for-rock-stars

the_wizzard

Just to clarify, I DO NOT think JJ's fall is funny...just that it showed up on Perez's site...and with a side note on Linkin Park.

easy way

Not sure how I feel about all that...it's kinda smurfed up that the brilliant man would be so carelessly tossed into a hollywood cesspool. I mean, I don't even know what a smurfin' linkin park is.... ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

the_wizzard

Honey, I am with you.  Just reporting the facts as they are forwarded to me by some friends  ;)
And I am proud to report that I, for one, have never heard a single note of Linkin Park (who???)

easy way

Right on...I like your Gargamel, if you couldn't tell.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

the_wizzard

QuoteRight on...I like your Gargamel, if you couldn't tell.
:-*
I got it...but am feeling defensive, aren't I?? ;D
Put up Gargamel in honor of Ms. Yvon's halloween avatar request....might stick with it for awhile! 8-)