Main Menu

I do not own

Started by chuckooo, Nov 18, 2008, 09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckooo

Tennessee Fire
At Dawn
All their earlier recordings like The sand worm cometh.

I have

It still moves
Z
Evil urges
Acoustic Cit.
Okonokos
Where to begin

I consider myself a big MMJ fan and listen to at least one of the 6 albums I own everyday.

How urgent is it that I get these CD's?

mjkoehler

Get off the internet, go to your nearest record/cd store, and BUY AT DAWN! Go Now! Listen with low lights, good headphones, and a bottle of good dark red. Enjoy.

That is [highlight]REQUIRED LISTENING[/highlight] and owning.

The DARK

We're losing him...WE'RE LOSING HIM!!! GET SOME AT DAWN IN HERE NOW!!!
In another time, in another place, in another face

xmascriminal

At Dawn is my favorite album. You need it. And by not owning those albums, you're skipping over an essential chapter in MMJ's history. They sound very different on those recordings. In my opinion, the Chocolate and Ice EP is also a very important purchase.

ycartrob

You call yourself a fan and don't own At Dawn?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vgQalXaIxs[/media]

ManNamedTruth

Go in this order:
At Dawn
The Tennessee Fire (you should get both at the same time)
Chocolate And Ice EP
Ch. 1 Sandworm Cometh
Ch. 2 Learning
split EP with Songs: Ohia
At Dawn/Tennessee Fire Demos Package

At Dawn and TTF are essential. Chocolate And Ice could've been a great full length album with a few more songs. ch. 1 and 2. have some great songs, but also have some very raw sounding stuff that I don't care for. I think they could've made it one very good disc, instead of 2 separate discs. Worth checking out though. The split EP is great but very short. The Demos disc is for the hardcore fans.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

I don't think I'll ever embrace Evil Urges but I can't imagine a MMJ collection being worth a damn without The Tennesee Fire and At Dawn. Both are defining high-water marks and must-owns.

hizzo

Urgent! Buy now!!  :)
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

easy way

"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

DaFunkyPrecedent

you dont have At Dawn? - I'm so sorry....
God damn those shaky knees.

tomEisenbraun

It's worth it for "Butch Cassidy" and "If It Smashes Down" alone.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

kydiddle

If you can't buy them all, you must get At Dawn first. Then The Tennessee Fire. Don't let the greatness of At Dawn keep you from The Tennessee Fire, either.

This is essential, but I think everyone has made that point.   ;D
Cow temperature.

st. john

what's Foreigner about?????????

a critic called mmj ''the unsexiest band ever.''  think Foreigner wins that one and the music now seems practically nursery pap. so is it for joke value? don't get it.

dragonboy

Quotewhat's Foreigner about?????????

a critic called mmj ''the unsexiest band ever.''  think Foreigner wins that one and the music now seems practically nursery pap. so is it for joke value? don't get it.
Are you serious? Check out the song title in relation to whether or not/how soon Chuckooo needs to buy TTF/At Dawn etc  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

vwxg14a

I have been a fan since the Conan Show, and have seen them at  Boston Pops, Lollapalooza, Radio City, Langerado and Miami Beach and MSG next, but I was in the same boat until recently (ISM, Z, Okonokos, EU), until I bought AD and TTF.  I like AD much more than TTF, but they are both worth it.

I compare this to my Pink Floyd introduction way back when (Pre-Wall).  I had Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals and loved them all.  Eventually I completed the collection.  

Comparing  MMJ to Pink Floyd

EP's and early releases = Syd Barret Era
TTF=Atom Heart Mother
At Dawn=Meddle
ISM=Dark Side of The Moon
Z=Wish You Were Here
EU=Animals

The order of the releases and my feeling about each album reflects each perfectly.  

TTF is similar in that you can see where the sound started to congeal for each band.  AD contains many really great songs but not one to push it into the spotlight.  ISM is the one that puts them on the map and contains their most accessible music (This is where I jumped in for both bands).  Z like Wish You Were Here is the most consistent albums for each.  EU like Animals, cannot compete with the greatness of the previous albums, but it is still a very good album.  

When I listen to Floyd today, I rate the albums Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, Animals, Atom Heart Mother = ISM, Z, AD, EU, TTF.

That being said, I hope/think the next album will be their Wall and they will finally break through to the rest of the world.  :D

Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

BH

Ohhhh, I envy you chuckooo!   So much still ahead for you to soak in.  

It's like discovering sex/drugs/pizza for the first time!  Enjoy!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

buymycar

I went in to the 12/29/06 Fillmore show thinking I had a firm grasp on My Morning Jacket.  I had bought Z and had It Still Moves on my iPod.  I was excited to hear these songs.  So what do they do?  They play a set that is heavily based on At Dawn.  I was blown away, and came away from the show wondering if one can ever truly get a firm grasp on the juggernaut that is My Morning Jacket live.

kydiddle

QuoteOhhhh, I envy you chuckooo!   So much still ahead for you to soak in.  

It's like discovering sex/drugs/pizza for the first time!  Enjoy!

Hahahahahahahahaha...   ;D

Nice.

I hope the lack of response from chuckooo is because he bought the albums immediately and can't seem to tear himself away.
Cow temperature.