YOUR TOP SONGS TO HEAR LIVE!(in person or not)

Started by js0221717, Jan 01, 2009, 02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChronicHunger

List your top 3 three songs to hear live and real

1. War Begun: when the solo hits it takes you on a wild ride and when they start jamming your heads starts rocking and then patrick flips on the set, jim goes into the tapping solo, and finally puts you back to rest with the bluesy psychadelic ending

2. Steam Engine: One nasty feedback type solo*

3. Strangulation: Acoustic chorale version is them cumming in our ear pussies

Runners up: Dondante, I think im going to hell, Masterplan, and Off the Record

*experienced from side balcony of theatre

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

j_rud

Your description of Strangulation...yup...f*cking gross...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

ChronicHunger

Dudley

1. Nashville to Kentucky- With carl on the saxmaphone.... It's like a waterfall of emotion..

2. Highly Suspicious- The first bend of the semi solo halfway through gets me dancing like a special olympian smoking meth... al the way through the end. Suprised i'm not on youtube yet.

3. Any song From the Cleveland show 2006... ate a 1/2 of some really funny fungus... Pretty sure i met god there in the HOB.

Penny Lane

1. Dondante
2. Steam Engine
3. Gideon
4. I will be there when you die (never heard it but i imagine it's heavenly)
5. OBH
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

el_chode

1) Steam Engine. Always Steam Engine because the moment that they release you from hanging on the edge of sonic bliss is the closest I've ever come to rapture
2) Lay Low. There's something about hearing the two guitars, bass, and piano, all take slightly different roads, converge, and then take off again that takes me away.
3) Run Thru. Zappa believed that a band is nothing without an incredible drummer. That guitar riff may get you going, but it's the rampaging thunder of the drums in the breakdown that absolutely destroys you.
4) Bermuda Highway. There's something haunting about it that gives me goosebumps.
5) Dondante. The one performance that really got me the most was Bonnaroo 2006 for some reason.

Runner Up: Xmas Curtain, specifically because it was during a performance of this song that I fell in love with my fiance.

I still have not heard Strangulation yet, and if there was one song I could hear, it'd be that.
I'm surrounded by assholes

heynow1

1. knot comes loose

first two in a small venue!!

2. i will sing you songs

3. low down

time is a stripper doin it just for you

ALady

Quote1. Dondante
2. Steam Engine
3. Gideon
4. I will be there when you die (never heard it but i imagine it's heavenly)
5. OBH

Jim solo at SXSW...oh, it was heavenly all right.   :o

I always like to hear Phone Went West and Steam Engine; if I get both, it's a great night!  I'm still hoping to hear Tyrone one day...
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

xmascriminal

I've never gotten to hear Steam Engine, but the three best live songs I've witnessed are Cobra, Dondante and Dancefloors. Wordless Chorus, Anytime and One Big Holiday are runners up.

dhooseyawaddy1

1. Steam Engine- My favorite song ever... nearly fell over in Louisville as I had not heard live the other 4 times I have seen them...

2. Dondante- pure emotion through music... never knew what it was about until this message board, but the feeling still came through the music and I felt it...

3. Lay Low- When that bass drum goes off... pulse quickens

4. At Dawn- played it many time after an all nighter at dawn it exudes the sun coming up...

:D

Demon Eyes

1.) Steam Engine - I have seen them 3 times and still have yet to see them play this. It's just so epic and would be awesome live.

2.) X-Mas Curtain - Another one I haven't seen. Has a very cool groove and I can imagine everybody in attendance clapping along to the intro.

3.) Strangulation - Epic song with powerful lyrics. I would just love to see this one and thrash out to the end of the song.

4.) Knot Comes Loose - For some reason they never play this song. It's beautiful.

5.) Into the Woods - Crazy song and I would love to sing along to that evil choir at the end.

vwxg14a

1) Run Thru - The show with the Boston Pops was over the top.   I never heard a song done better by any band.  Too bad Patrick had to play with electric drums that night.  It was so good, I don't even remember Steam Engine that night.

2) Steam Engine - When I heard it live at Radio City I was so stoked and then 3 chatty cathies decided to chatter on while he was running up the risers.  Almost ruined it for me.  It wasn't even on my radar until Okononos.

3) Lay Low - I think this is their best song live compared to the album version.  The dueling guitar solos at the end with the running keyboards and bass line... It is their Freebird.

4) One Big Holiday - There is nothing left to be said.  It should be the last song each night.  I think I felt Radio City shaking that night during this song.

5) Wordless Chorus - We are the innovators!!!! Whooo!!!  I decided at MSG not to sing along and listen to 15,000 people singing along.  It gave me goose bumps.  

Here are the 5 songs I haven't heard live list (and hope to hear one day) Xmas Curtain, A Quick One, It Makes No Difference, Remnants, Tyrone.  

And finally, if I hope to never hear Highly Suspicious again live.  

Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

el_chode

NYE was my first time hearing Cobra live (that I can remember at least).

Does JJ always do that nifty weirdness where he gets all spiritual and wears crap on his head while praying?

That goes with the song so well. So much so that when I listen to it that image pops in my head.
I'm surrounded by assholes

ALady

He's been doing that on this tour, yes.  Maybe not always with the cape over his head, but almost always with the "namaste" gestures   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Ghostess on TV

Dondonte.
Phone Went West.

I want to hear The Bear and At Dawn live soo bad.

Grateful Chabo

1. war begun
1. cobra
1. lay low
1. the bear
1. don dante
1. phone went west
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

pawpaw

I can't give you just 3, but here are the 7 songs that I've been most happy to hear live.

I Think I'm Going To Hell
Dancefloors
Rollin' Back
Off The Record
O Is The One That Is Real
The Bear
Golden

The song I haven't yet heard live, but would most like to is One In The Same, in a small, QUIET venue...probably missed out on that one though.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

bearass

honest man
dondante
strangulation

i was lucky enough to get some masterplan that was pretty sweet