Main Menu

Andrew Bird?

Started by classicrocker623, Nov 18, 2008, 03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrocker623

I was just wondering what Andrew Bird's relationship with MMJ is. I was reading the liner notes on the Z vinyl and it said he arranged some strings for a few tracks. Interestingly enough it also credits M. Ward with the chorus on Into the Woods. I saw Bird briefly this summer at the All Points West Festival and he was alright. If anyone knows anything that'd be great.

xmascriminal

He's on Gideon, Into the Woods and It Beats 4 U. That's all I know.

aMillionDreams

Jim appears on the Andrew Bird track "Sovay".

Andrew Bird has appeared with MMJ on stage numerous times including Lollapoolza 05.  There is a great version steam engine with him featured floating around, not sure if it's from that show or not.

He is the whistler on "It Beats 4 U"
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ms. yvon

just popping in to say that andrew b. is amazing.

and that jim sings and co-wrote a tune with m. ward on "post war."

once you start reading the credits on records you find all these terrific intersections and musical cross-pollinations.  pretty rad.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

tomEisenbraun

QuoteJim appears on the Andrew Bird track "Sovay".

Andrew Bird has appeared with MMJ on stage numerous times including Lollapoolza 05.  There is a great version steam engine with him featured floating around, not sure if it's from that show or not.

I could be completely wrong, but I believe Jim and the entire Jacket appear on the Sovay EP where the whole band backed up Mr. Bird for a take of "Sovay," but I'm pretty certain Jim doesn't appear on the album version.

That said, the performance with Bird looping his violin all over the end of Steam Engine at Lollapalooza was absolutely mind-bending.

Saw him do his magic over Gideon when they played it together at Bonnaroo '06 and it was pretty insane and magical as well.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

tomEisenbraun

Quotejust popping in to say that andrew b. is amazing.

once you start reading the credits on records you find all these terrific intersections and musical cross-pollinations.  pretty rad.

and don't forget "One Life Away" and "Fuel For Fire" on Transistor Radio:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZqFB6qafQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh0pJsyS9mQ[/media]
(no Jim, but a beautiful rendition)

He backs up M. on "Magic Trick" in a ridiculous manner on Post-War, and also provides a good deal of "oooooh"s on "Chinese Translation" too.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

easy way

Quotejust popping in to say that andrew b. is amazing.

...'musical cross-pollination'...nice job.  :)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Ghosts_on_TV

his violin on the the bear at roo 06 was pretty sweet as well.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

loadedquestion

Andrew Bird is definitely one of the best out there now....his live shows are absolutely magical and his lyrical poise and musical mastery are incredible. I'm sad that he's skipping PA on his 2009 tour. He would make a very welcome edition to New Year's Eve.

Cameron

just bought tix to see AB in austin in feb.!

ALady

I could be completely wrong, but I believe Jim and the entire Jacket appear on the Sovay EP where the whole band backed up Mr. Bird for a take of "Sovay," but I'm pretty certain Jim doesn't appear on the album version.

That said, the performance with Bird looping his violin all over the end of Steam Engine at Lollapalooza was absolutely mind-bending.

Saw him do his magic over Gideon when they played it together at Bonnaroo '06 and it was pretty insane and magical as well.

What's the Sovay EP?  Do you mean the version on Fingerlings 2?  I can definitely hear Carl on that one...

He played with MMJ at ACL '07 too, but I was on the other end of the field watching Wilco at the time (who are also frequent Bird collaborators...jeez, dude gets around!).  

And there's a really good version of Steam Engine from the Taste of Chicago in '06 with Andrew Bird.  Absolutely stunning.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

kydiddle

QuoteAndrew Bird is definitely one of the best out there now....his live shows are absolutely magical and his lyrical poise and musical mastery are incredible. I'm sad that he's skipping PA on his 2009 tour. He would make a very welcome edition to New Year's Eve.

He's going to be in Philly on Jan. 25th. Just got my tickets in the mail yesterday.
Cow temperature.

aMillionDreams

What's the Sovay EP?  Do you mean the version on Fingerlings 2?  I can definitely hear Carl on that one...

He played with MMJ at ACL '07 too, but I was on the other end of the field watching Wilco at the time (who are also frequent Bird collaborators...jeez, dude gets around!).  

And there's a really good version of Steam Engine from the Taste of Chicago in '06 with Andrew Bird.  Absolutely stunning.

The version on Fingerlings 2 and the EP are the same and it has the entire band backing Bird, not just Jim as I misremembered earlier in this thread.  Sorry for the confusion.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ALady

Ah, okay.  D'you think the Sovay EP is worth getting if I already have Fingerlings 2?  The other live tunes would be nice, but I have a bunch of Bird boots already.

"Anonimal" is still killing me.  Though today it's striking me as a really sad song.  "I will become an animal/perfectly adapted to a music hall".  And holy Jeff Buckley in that last chorus.

BH

QuoteAh, okay.  D'you think the Sovay EP is worth getting if I already have Fingerlings 2?  The other live tunes would be nice, but I have a bunch of Bird boots already.

"Anonimal" is still killing me.  Though today it's striking me as a really sad song.  "I will become an animal/perfectly adapted to a music hall".  And holy Jeff Buckley in that last chorus.

Just got mine yesterday.  I love the packaging, although I think it took me 20 minutes to find the CD.  I still have not listened to useless creatures yet, have you?  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ALady

I gave it a quick listen but haven't really sat down with it yet.  Gonna do that now   :)

Ha, agree...the packaging is lovely, but I was scared to death I was going to tear it trying to tug the CD out!