What song do you hope NOT to hear on the new tour?

Started by kyleschaffer, Mar 05, 2010, 10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

Ok, admittedly this is a bit of a negative topic, but it's prompted by my recent MMJ listening overload in advance of the new shows.   It's not that any of the songs are bad, so to speak, just that I recognize that with 2 - 2.5 hrs, time and set list slots are limited.... I started thinking which are the 10 songs I most want to hear, and I'm noodling on that (and will start a new thread), but I realized after carefully reviewing all the disc listings.... there are quite a few songs on Evil Urges I could do without.

Specifically:

Sec Walking
Two Halves
Remnants
Aluminum Park
Thank You Too

all would be included.

There's really nothing from the older albums that would bum me out - maybe some of the Chocolate and Ice songs I don't know well (besides Cobra).

jones

I hope that they show up without instruments and don't play any music.  I am hoping for more of a lecture type of tour.  Maybe a town hall setting if we're lucky.  Sticky sent me a tweet saying that the coolest towns will get a staring contest encore.

In a live setting, I am cool with whatever they would like to play.  Songs that aren't necessarily my favorites take new shape when I hear them live.

Jon T.

i think your other thread idea will be more popular.  i suppose i could do without, "it's been a great 3 or 4 years".  other than that, i'm with flyguy.

Crispy

Quotei think your other thread idea will be more popular.  i suppose i could do without, "it's been a great 3 or 4 years".  other than that, i'm with flyguy.
AGH! I've been waiting forever to hear "It's Been a Great 3 or 4 Years" live! Don't jinx it!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

jones

Quotei think your other thread idea will be more popular.  i suppose i could do without, "it's been a great 3 or 4 years".  other than that, i'm with flyguy.
AGH! I've been waiting forever to hear "It's Been a Great 3 or 4 Years" live! Don't jinx it!

That is Crispy's jam!

Crispy

That is Crispy's jam!
Man, I'm telling you, Johnny is going to stroll out on stage one of these days for a guest appearance, and these words will emanate from the speakers: "Hi Jim..."

Seriously though, "Take care of yourself," and, "Milk it, baby, milk it." Powerful stuff.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ManNamedTruth

I don't get why people don't like Thank You Too, it sounds good live as well.
Also I'm pretty sure it's Jim's voice on It's Been A Great 3 or 4 Years, at first I thought it was Johnny but now after hearing a lot of Jim James interviews I think it's him.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

jones

xmascriminal

There is absolutely nothing I would be opposed to hearing. Sure, there are some MMJ songs I don't like as much but having heard some of them live I can say that no matter what they play it's impossible to be bored at an MMJ show. Well, okay, I'd be cool with them giving The Way That He Sings a rest and subbing it for another oldie, but I'm definitely not going to be doing any complaining in Columbus. And I would love to hear It's Been a Great 3 or 4 Years live. That would be hilarious. I think they should have Jim or Johnny or whoever's really on that track scream the phone message through a poor-quality megaphone while the band plays a Cobra-esque funk groove behind it. You know that would sound awesome.

Crispy

QuoteAnd I would love to hear It's Been a Great 3 or 4 Years live. That would be hilarious. I think they should have Jim or Johnny or whoever's really on that track scream the phone message through a poor-quality megaphone while the band plays a Cobra-esque funk groove behind it. You know that would sound awesome.
THIS.

And I'm pretty sure that's Johnny on that message.

Addendum: Maybe instead of (or in addition to) the Cobra-esque funk groove, they should play "The Year in Review"  ;D

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

wakebord

I've always leaned heavily towards the jacket's catalog that takes me to the moon - the it still moves and z jams really are my favorites.  i like the longer songs with extended jams.  so a lot of evil urges songs, while i like them a lot, don't do it for me live like the older songs.  i'd be a-ok with them leaving off touch me part 1, two halves, and remnants in favor of some older stuff we don't hear as much.  maybe trade out the newer songs for rarer tracks like o is the one, xmas curtin, lowdown, and war begun.  but i won't complain if i hear any of the jams i said to exclude.  25 or so songs would be just awesome.  

mahg33ta

In a live setting, I am cool with whatever they would like to play.  Songs that aren't necessarily my favorites take new shape when I hear them live.

In general, I'm with you.   I trust the boys to take me wherever they want to lead.   However, of the songs I listed, I've seen them all performed live - with the exception of Remnants, which I'd rank as perhaps my least favorite MMJ song.

But, I should turn to happier topics and start a thread on what we WANT to hear... will do shortly.

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

I don't mind this thread Mahg33ts.

I agree with you for most of the EU tracks.  You can throw in Librarian while your at it but I would love to hear Remnants live just once.

I could do without Get Down On It as well and I hope they don't take out The Way That He Sings ever.  I get chills every time I hear the final jam live.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

capt. scotty

Quotethis thread= :-[ :-/

so you are in disagreement with me and would like to head a 13 minute Good Intentions?

hmm..
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

AlwxanderD10

QuoteOk, admittedly this is a bit of a negative topic, but it's prompted by my recent MMJ listening overload in advance of the new shows.   It's not that any of the songs are bad, so to speak, just that I recognize that with 2 - 2.5 hrs, time and set list slots are limited.... I started thinking which are the 10 songs I most want to hear, and I'm noodling on that (and will start a new thread), but I realized after carefully reviewing all the disc listings.... there are quite a few songs on Evil Urges I could do without.

Specifically:

Sec Walking
Two Halves
Remnants
Aluminum Park
Thank You Too

all would be included.

There's really nothing from the older albums that would bum me out - maybe some of the Chocolate and Ice songs I don't know well (besides Cobra).
This.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQDLetuU3JY&feature=related[/media]
seriously one of the worst songs ever

aMillionDreams

QuoteI don't get why people don't like Thank You Too, it sounds good live as well.
Also I'm pretty sure it's Jim's voice on It's Been A Great 3 or 4 Years, at first I thought it was Johnny but now after hearing a lot of Jim James interviews I think it's him.

It's definitely Johnny, "Your favorite cousin on the McQuaid side of the family"  Jim is on the the Olliges side of the family, the message is to him.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]