CC

a note from jim:

"hello everyone and thanks for listening and supporting us and being here on
our forum. We are super stoked to be back out on the road right now and look
forward to seeing you out here. Just wanted to write a note saying that if
anyone posts music here in the way that "cassettewoman" has- claiming that
it is unheard or unreleased- that is music that we have not approved and
don't want released or heard by the public. This cassette was stolen from me
at some point or obtained fraudulently, and is an invasion of my privacy.
Anyone who works on art or music or anything they care about deeply knows
that you don't want people hearing or seeing art you are working on that is
not finished yet, or that you arent happy with and don't want released. Art
and music are works of the soul- deeply personal things...and it feels very
uncomfortable to have them taken from you and released to the public...if
you are a fan of the band you will know that I really enjoy releasing demos
and raw versions of works, etc- and we try to release as much of that type
of stuff as we can...but if its not coming directly from us as an official
release, its not something we want people hearing. Like I said earlier,
thank you for being a fan and for even being interested in our music...we
really appreciate it. If you have already downloaded these sorts of things,
please keep them to yourself and don't pass them around anymore. Thanks so
much for listening and your support. God bless."

Ghosts_on_TV

Right on. I am intrested, who wouldn't be? But I didnt DL, and now dont plan on it.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

megalicious

QuoteRight on. I am intrested, who wouldn't be? But I didnt DL, and now dont plan on it.

Same here, man. I think we can all respect Jim's wishes.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

BH

Dang.  That sucks that it was stolen.  I guess I should have known but it's hard to look past the new material.   The band has been so generous with live material and other things that it's a shame this kind of thing had to happen.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

I kinda suspected it... stuff like this doesn't just fall into someone's lap. I'm considering wiping it from my hard drive altogether. It's going to feel wrong to try and give them another listen.   :-/
In another time, in another place, in another face

el_chode

Something stunk about that from the get-go. Besides, if that's an unpublished work, that'd be a violation under federal law for like the next 100 years roughly.

I'm surrounded by assholes

Erik26

I knew something was out of place with cassettewoman. I never actually heard any of the clips or whatever she was putting out there. I'd really like to see another demos album, something like Chapter 3, or It Still Moves/Z demos package would be sweet.  
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

capt. scotty

This thread should be a sticky topic so others know in the futures
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ynwa

the whole thing was suspicious from the start & then got just plain creepy from there.

it's kinda sad this happened.  we're all on here out of love for this band & then some thieving, greedy asshole goes & does something like this.

i feel ill.

"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

el_chode

Quotethe whole thing was suspicious from the start & then got just plain creepy from there.

it's kinda sad this happened.  we're all on here out of love for this band & then some thieving, greedy asshole goes & does something like this.

i feel ill.

The way I see it though is that the harmony between a band that gives so much instantly sees a positive reaction and it makes me happy to know that the fans can give back a bit too...even if by "giving back" they're actually just not doing anything at all.

vespachick

what kind of maroon goes on the band's board to try to hawk stolen b'ness?  Sheesh!  I nude that was stunky.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ynwa

Quotethe whole thing was suspicious from the start & then got just plain creepy from there.

i feel ill.

The way I see it though is that the harmony between a band that gives so much instantly sees a positive reaction and it makes me happy to know that the fans can give back a bit too...even if by "giving back" they're actually just not doing anything at all.

excellent point.  sometimes my irish comes out a bit too fast.  especially when i see someone get taken advantage of.

i hadn't gotten a chance to download it yet but was going to when i got home from work later tonight.  now i'm glad i didn't.  divine intervention?  (or just my shitty work schedule?)

el_chode

i feel ill.

excellent point.  sometimes my irish comes out a bit too fast.  especially when i see someone get taken advantage of.

i hadn't gotten a chance to download it yet but was going to when i got home from work later tonight.  now i'm glad i didn't.  divine intervention?  (or just my shitty work schedule?)

same here, but it's the inner sicilian in me that I must silence

ynwa

i feel ill.

same here, but it's the inner sicilian in me that I must silence

vezzini told me "never go against a sicilian when death is on the line"

MMJ_fanatic

*sits back and smiles smugly in the knowledge that he has never nor ever would acquire anything not legitimately stamped with approval by his most favorite group of dudes ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

finally some clarity.  thanks for the info CC.

danz

Damn, thanks for the heads up.  I should have thought that Jim may not condone the recordings being publicized...I was just too caught up in the thought/emotion of new songs.  I feel guilty now...

capt. scotty

I kind of feel guilty because I never dl'd it and I still want to just so I can hear it once  ::)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Bigsky

Thanks CC and please let the boys know we fully respect their privacy, but they must understand that when you are a fan of MMJ and there is new music out there...it's like putting crack in front of a crack head. It's not easy to resist, but we will be stronger in the future.

And casettewoman...you have gone back to being a Monday crap after a long weekend...

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteThanks CC and please let the boys know we fully respect their privacy, but they must understand that when you are a fan of MMJ and there is new music out there...it's like putting crack in front of a crack head. It's not easy to resist, but we will be stronger in the future.

And casettewoman...you have gone back to being a Monday crap after a long weekend...

If she wouldn't have ebay'd it for a grand before she released it I might have a different view of this situation.    It's exactly like you're saying, dangling crack in front of a crackhead.  With such a great band and additional songs is a bonus.  Always.  I understand Jim's view of his art, and it most definitely is his right to decide when something should be out there.  If this was in fact stolen from him that's straight fucking up bullshit. If this would have been in the realm of a demo he made for a record company then it'd be a little different.  It would blow to have something you made just for reference or fun get out when you know it's nothing you'd ever want to promote.  

The question is how was it truly obtained?  That question will never be truly answered.  "Stolen" but stolen when and from where and in what kind of situation?  Is this an old friend of an old member of the band or something?  Endless possibilities.