The  Roots remake Dear God on new album

Started by Ghosts_on_TV, Apr 22, 2010, 01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

lasvegas

Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

capt. scotty

Cool...interested to see what they do with it
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Erik26

I was reading that yesterday...should be an interesting remake.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

BH

This is great.   Jim's collaborative spirit cannot be matched.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SaraBananaBear

Just found this:
http://www.rapweekly.com/rapweekly/?p=7087
"hip-hop's most daring pioneers the Roots release their 9th  studio album (and third for Def Jam Recordings) on June 22n"

And:
"The lead single from the Roots new set will be "Dear God 2.0."  The track re-imagines the Monsters Of Folk song "Dear God" and features MOF members Yim Yames from My Morning Jacket, Conor Oberst and Mike Mogis from Bright Eyes and M. Ward."

Dear God 2.0.,  sounds goodie  :D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

capt. scotty

Nice...if this is anywhere near as good as their remake with Cody Chesnutt for The Seed 2.0, Im in
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

SaraBananaBear

Just a tiny little bit of information:
http://www.theboombox.com/2010/05/21/the-roots-unveil-how-i-got-over-in-new-york/
2. 'Dear God 2.0' (feat. Jim James, MOF):
This lead single is a reinvention of the Monsters of Folk classic 'Dear God,' only slightly darker and more intense than the original.

I'm really curious about how this will sound, whoop, whoop, looking forward to it  :)

SaraBananaBear

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?

capt. scotty

evilPaauwe

cheers.

vwxg14a

The Roots are the only good thing about the Jimmy Fallon show.  I hope this gets some serious airplay.
Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

capt. scotty

QuoteThe Roots are the only good thing about the Jimmy Fallon show.  I hope this gets some serious airplay.

I think Fallon is pretty good actually

You'd think Jim would go on the show and play it with the Roots on Fallon, too

jones

QuoteThe Roots are the only good thing about the Jimmy Fallon show.  I hope this gets some serious airplay.

[highlight]I think Fallon is pretty good actually[/highlight]

You'd think Jim would go on the show and play it with the Roots on Fallon, too

Concur.

FiddleCastro

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

johnnYYac

1. I think its quite good.
2. I think its different enough to be regarded seperate from the "original"
3. It gives more of the world exposure to: a) Jim James's voice; b) and by extension, My Morning Jacket and Monsters of Folk
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Here's a downloadable version of the track on p4k.  

By the way - Black Thought puts Jim, Conor and M. to shame lyrically.  My god that man can write! One of the best lyricist/poets of our generation for sure and possibly of all time.  I can't wait for this album to drop!  :D

http://pitchfork.com/news/38893-listen-the-roots-and-monsters-of-folk-revamp-dear-god-as-dear-god-20/  
God damn those shaky knees.

rusty95

Love it, I liked that verse slow, like it even more slower. ;D
Y'all got any disco ball back there?

slimsloslider

jim's playin with the blind boys of alabama at lincoln center on july 12th. the roots are playing a free show at prospect park in brooklyn the night before. see all of you and jim there.