At Dawn- 10th Anniversary (released April 5, 2001)

Started by Johnny_Yac, Dec 09, 2010, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

I came to the realization recently that I'd been listening to MMJ for the past 2 years in my car, off my mp3 player, live (bootleg) recordings, etc.  Even the studio albums were played in my car or on the under-the-cabinet CD player in my kitchen or on my computer.  So I finally started listening through my 7.1 system, sometimes with headphones.  I don't do vinyl, but focused listening of the CDs has opened my eyes (and ears) to a lot of sonic detail previously missed.

My recent listen to TF made me realize it is, start to finish, a great album.  Then I moved to At Dawn last night and jotted some notes for this posting:

• Does anyone else think, as I do, that the use of guitar harmonics at the beginning of each verse in Bermuda Highway a poor decision?  I LOVE the song, one of my favorites to sing and play on the Omnichord.  Every time I hear it, it does it for me.  Not so much the AD version.
  • Does anyone know who plays the harmonica during Honest Man?  I'm assuming Jim, but that's based on absolutely nothing.  Its a solid mouth harp performance.
  • If It Smashes Down is an AWESOME tune.  Still, I'm somewhat surprised that they went with the take that lands on AD.  Its raw and epic, yet riddled with what many might consider "mistakes".  It seems they were trying to stretch their recording repetoire in many ways with this album, experimenting with sounds and instrumentation, then the next minute they're playing these live, one-take tracks.  Don't get me wrong; I think its GREAT, but...
  • Did Jim play banjo during If It Smashes Down at T5?
Just a few thoughts from last night.  
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

darkglow

i can answer your last question with a "yes, he did play the banjitar on if it smashes down at T5".. for the rest.. i'll say.. i believe their(his)  logic lies in imperfections making things impressive and TIMELESS. they made those mistakes and carved them in stone for the sole reason that they will never be re-created like that ever again. you have to appreciate some nostalgia in that art form. it happened in that place in that time during that point of mind frame, and like most well practiced artforms, it allows the artist to envision where his creative "brain" was during that time in his/her life.

again.. this is only what i "believe" and hope to be true and it is one of the reasons why i'm able to love this band so much. it makes me realize that my life should and will be treated in the same regard on many levels.

EasyRyder

This is a complete shot in the dark, but I wonder if M. Ward did the harmonica bit for Honest Man? I was listening to a 2004 show from the opera house in Toronto and M. Ward sat in and did a harmonica bit on Death Is The Easy Way. I'm not sure how far back him and Jim go, but i spose it may be a possibility?

And I totally agree with you about If It Smashes Down...however, it's one of my favorites from At Dawn because of the rawness of it. To me it sounds like it could have fit better on TTF, but I think it adds some serious against-the-grain texture to AD. The "in the air" repeats creeps me out for some reason  :o

(P.S. If you haven't listened to the Toronto show I mentioned above, here's the link: http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2004-05-28.flac16 it's worth the listen)
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

johnnYYac

Alright!  That's what I'm talking about.  I'm not critical of If It Smashes Down and really appreciate your take on it, darkglow.  Never considered M. Ward, Easy.  I will definitely check out that recording when I'm not using my daughters' computer.  I think I just found the tracks on TF more polished than some of the AD tracks.  Clearly, the boys were going for solid, flawless takes of most tracks on ISM, even more so Z, and especially EU.  

sweatboard

Quotei can answer your last question with a "yes, he did play the banjitar on if it smashes down at T5".. for the rest.. i'll say.. i believe their(his)  logic lies in imperfections making things impressive and TIMELESS. they made those mistakes and carved them in stone for the sole reason that they will never be re-created like that ever again. you have to appreciate some nostalgia in that art form. it happened in that place in that time during that point of mind frame, and like most well practiced artforms, it allows the artist to envision where his creative "brain" was during that time in his/her life.

again.. this is only what i "believe" and hope to be true and it is one of the reasons why i'm able to love this band so much. it makes me realize that my life should and will be treated in the same regard on many levels.

Wow, I love that!!!

P.S.

If It Smashes Down is one of my favorite pieces of music every recorded.  Every single sound is as it should be.
There's Still Time.........

capt. scotty

Quotei can answer your last question with a "yes, he did play the banjitar on if it smashes down at T5".. for the rest.. i'll say.. i believe their(his)  logic lies in imperfections making things impressive and TIMELESS. they made those mistakes and carved them in stone for the sole reason that they will never be re-created like that ever again. you have to appreciate some nostalgia in that art form. it happened in that place in that time during that point of mind frame, and like most well practiced artforms, it allows the artist to envision where his creative "brain" was during that time in his/her life.

well said brotha!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

Don't get me wrong.  I wouldn't change a thing about At Dawn ('cept maybe the harmonics on BH) or If It Smashes Down.  I guess I'm curious what the press/critics thought of the album, that track, and comparing it to TF before and ISM after.  

SaraBananaBear

About M. Ward and the harmonica, since I've been very interested in how the Monsters of Folk gang met, I've been trying to find out how it all happened and this is part of what I've found:

Mike Mogis met Jim at Field Day Festival 2003, after watching Jim perform with My Morning Jacket. And this is what Mr. Mogis had to say about it (had to add it because it's so nice):

"I'd heard the My Morning Jacket records before I'd seen them live, and I remember thinking that they seemed like a cool band. It was obvious they were a deep band, with the melodic, mellow acoustic stuff and the soaring rock thing, but I'd never seen them live until that Field Day Festival show. I remember it rained. There was a lot of hair flying around onstage, and the rain made it seem that much more intense. We sat on the side of the stage and were just blown away. It was such an uplifting experience. The day to that point had been such a drag. Bright Eyes had played earlier, and everything that could have gone wrong did. We were all in kind of low spirits, but when they took the stage, all that shit went away and all that was left was that pure joy you get from being a part of music."

Bright Eyes then did a last-minute show at the Bowery Ballroom that same weekend of the Field Day festival, where Jim played acoustic to open up. M. Ward then met Jim through Conor Oberst, when Bright Eyes extended an invitation for M. Ward to tour with Bright Eyes. M. Ward said in the Blurt Online interview that he was already a fan of both MMJ's and Bright Eyes' music at the time. And Conor said:

"I think that's when we really hit it off. That's when we knew it was destiny that we were going to play music together. We talked about it that weekend, in the way you talk about things in bars after shows. You know, the whole "wouldn't it be great" kinda thing. I don't remember exactly how it actually happened. I think we asked Jim if he was really interested in doing it, and when he said yes we suggested that we also invite Matt. So I invited everyone out to our house and I guess they accepted."

Okay so that was maybe a bit too much text (and also a bit confused) in relation to "hey was that M. Ward?", but I thought you might find it interesting too...  :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Soulshine

every moment on this album is perfection
Because we're all in this together...

Im The Dude

Johnny,
I have a great video on my youtube page of "If It Smashes Down" My address is under my picture. It was one of the best songs that might. Banjo all the way!
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

darkglow

i'm gonna upload my "smashes down" video to youtube today.. stand by suckaz

kydiddle

Quoteevery moment on this album is perfection

Ditto.

YOU'RE perfection, Soulshine.  ;)
Cow temperature.

e_wind

QuoteAbout M. Ward and the harmonica, since I've been very interested in how the Monsters of Folk gang met, I've been trying to find out how it all happened and this is part of what I've found:

Mike Mogis met Jim at Field Day Festival 2003, after watching Jim perform with My Morning Jacket. And this is what Mr. Mogis had to say about it (had to add it because it's so nice):

"I'd heard the My Morning Jacket records before I'd seen them live, and I remember thinking that they seemed like a cool band. It was obvious they were a deep band, with the melodic, mellow acoustic stuff and the soaring rock thing, but I'd never seen them live until that Field Day Festival show. I remember it rained. There was a lot of hair flying around onstage, and the rain made it seem that much more intense. We sat on the side of the stage and were just blown away. It was such an uplifting experience. The day to that point had been such a drag. Bright Eyes had played earlier, and everything that could have gone wrong did. We were all in kind of low spirits, but when they took the stage, all that shit went away and all that was left was that pure joy you get from being a part of music."

Bright Eyes then did a last-minute show at the Bowery Ballroom that same weekend of the Field Day festival, where Jim played acoustic to open up. M. Ward then met Jim through Conor Oberst, when Bright Eyes extended an invitation for M. Ward to tour with Bright Eyes. M. Ward said in the Blurt Online interview that he was already a fan of both MMJ's and Bright Eyes' music at the time. And Conor said:

"I think that's when we really hit it off. That's when we knew it was destiny that we were going to play music together. We talked about it that weekend, in the way you talk about things in bars after shows. You know, the whole "wouldn't it be great" kinda thing. I don't remember exactly how it actually happened. I think we asked Jim if he was really interested in doing it, and when he said yes we suggested that we also invite Matt. So I invited everyone out to our house and I guess they accepted."

Okay so that was maybe a bit too much text (and also a bit confused) in relation to "hey was that M. Ward?", but I thought you might find it interesting too...  :)

really cool read. one question though... who's Matt?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

capt. scotty

QuoteAbout M. Ward and the harmonica, since I've been very interested in how the Monsters of Folk gang met, I've been trying to find out how it all happened and this is part of what I've found:

really cool read. one question though... who's Matt?

[size=16]M.[/size] Ward
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

e_wind

oh I didn't think Matt was his name. word.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mahg33ta

QuoteJohnny,
I have a great video on my youtube page of "If It Smashes Down" My address is under my picture. It was one of the best songs that might. Banjo all the way!

Agreed it was a highlight of the night.... BUT - not to be the picky dorky guy, but that's not a true banjo he's playing.   It's a guitar that's designed to sound like a banjo.    It's got 6 strings and tuned like a guitar.    A traditional banjo has 5 strings, with a shorter drone string.   take a look at the neck and tuning pegs, and if you really want to know more google "banjitar".

Im The Dude

QuoteJohnny,

Agreed it was a highlight of the night.... BUT - not to be the picky dorky guy, but that's not a true banjo he's playing.   It's a guitar that's designed to sound like a banjo.    It's got 6 strings and tuned like a guitar.    A traditional banjo has 5 strings, with a shorter drone string.   take a look at the neck and tuning pegs, and if you really want to know more google "banjitar".

Yea, you're right. I forgot about that. I didn't even notice it when he was playing it. But I've seen him play in videos a "banjitar" before...didn't Carl play a banjo during one song during the first two shows? Or am i getting it confused with him playing an acoustic?

Anyone rememeber that?

danz

I believe it's 'Mister Montgomery Ward' (one of the finest folk troubadours of today,)  ;) to us MMJ fans.

Nice excerpt Sara.  Though, unless I'm confused, it doesn't really explain when Jim and M met.  By 2001...maybe?

ralph

Listening to At Dawn at work while doing some really boring stuff. It's making everything better!!!  :thumbsup: Such a damn fine record...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Im The Dude

Quote from: ralph on Feb 03, 2011, 06:28 PM
Listening to At Dawn at work while doing some really boring stuff. It's making everything better!!!  :thumbsup: Such a damn fine record...

I love At Dawn on vinyl....