Jim James favorite Concert Films Article

Started by LaurieBlue, Nov 29, 2006, 03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.nypress.com/19/48/music/Music3.cfm

HOMELAND MATURITY
Appreciating great American music with My Morning Jacket

By Robbie Mackey

My Morning Jacket is best experienced in a crowded rock club: feet planted in the 10th row, eyes closed as the yellowed charm of the Louisville, Ky., five-piece's adroit, Southern rock caroms off the walls, swimming through the air in the wake of lead-singer Jim James' delicate yowl. Okonokos, the band's 2006 concert film, doesn't quite capture that magical experience (or the smell of patchouli from the jamkids), but it comes damn close. The film gracefully documents James & Co.'s fist-balling bombast, their unpretentious beauty and their beastly mid-song frames with equal regard.

We recently caught up with James to discuss some of his favorite concert films before My Morning Jacket's show this week. This man is omnivorous in his appreciation of all American music—from Prince to Neil Young, Ray Charles to The Band. Borrowing from the past, he belts history back at us on near-seamless records like Z and At Dawn. As he drips in the sweat of Issac Hayes, Marvin Gaye and Roy Orbison (all at once) on the beautifully ornate stage featured in Okonokos, it's clear: My Morning Jacket is the quintessential American band.

Purple Rain-Prince
This isn't really a concert film, per se, but the performance pieces are so well intertwined with the story: Holy shit!

The Last Waltz-The Band
What can I say that hasn't been said? Watching the guys do what they do is watching musicians making music for all the right reasons. But there's so much weight and sadness to the proceedings. So many things happened that shouldn't have, and so many things that should have happened never did. That's what's so awesome about most of the guys in The Band. They just seem like "guys." I feel like I know them; they'll always be there for me.

Rust Never Sleeps-Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Rust. Wow. Everything is huge and Neil [Young] is a sleeping kid. Brilliant. Unplugged was one of the first concert things I ever heard or saw. I still close my eyes and imagine being in the 10th row with my eyes closed imagining I am on a beach somewhere.

Wattstax-Isaac Hayes
Holy shit, this film is so rugged. The part where the women are singing in church made me cry along with them. So many scenes of "life" back in the day, how hard and how beautiful it can be for people. The concert footage is great and when Isaac busts up in the end? Forget about it.

Roy Orbison: Live In Australia
Back in the '60s, it's all in black and white, and Roy looks like Snoopy. It is very sweet and very sad, but as always his voice is the best.

Ray Charles: Live In Brazil
This is all black and white and grainy, and you really get to see Ray and his band, and the Rayettes, up close. It's not glamorous, which was really awesome to see after the whole Ray Hollywood movie. It's cool to see Ray—he looks tired and kinda sad, and the singers look pissed. But they still pull it out and just sound amazing. What a treasure.

Nov. 30. Roseland Ballroom, 239 W. 52nd St. (betw. 7th & 8th Aves.), 212-777-6800; 6:45, $30.

dragonboy

Another great find, cheers Laurie  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Pookiecool

I am enjoying these articles, cheers.

The last waltz is unreal

If you haven't seen festival express, it is a must see, follows many classic artists on a train tour of canada with some epic footage of box car jam sessions.  

BH

QuoteI still close my eyes and imagine being in the 10th row with my eyes closed imagining I am on a beach somewhere.
;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.