The Death of Arena Rock

Started by The_DARK, Feb 06, 2007, 10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Walt

the way i see it, they have played stadiums.

can someone agree on that?
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

dragonboy

I think that was in Europe supporting PJ, might be wrong.
Great, great pic!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

The Big Come Up

QuoteFrom about 1974-1990, the amount of truly great, great new artists emerging were little or none. Bruce, The Eagles, REM, U2, The Police, Tom Petty and a couple of others were truly great, but not many other innovators really shone through.

Really?
I happen to like Sonic Youth, B-52's, The Pixies, The Replacements, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr, The Ramones, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Talking Heads, Metallica, Primus, Guns n Roses, The Clash, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, The Sex Pistols, Dire Straits, AC/DC... and that's off the top of my head.

You should check these bands out, you might change your mind.

Yeah but during the 80s Sonic Youth, B-52's, The Pixies, The Replacements, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr were pretty much what today we call indie music, and punk (The Pistols, Ramones) has since fallen into the awfulness that is pop-punk. I admit that the Clash are a truly legendary stones/zep/beatles class band and i forgot them, but Iron Maiden and Van Halen? Far from legendary bands in my opinion. Metallica and AC/DC are good and original dont get me wrong, but transcendent? Far from it. This period produced far less truly classic transcendent bands as the period of 1965-1975.

jeeez, what's your fucking point? Who ever said anything about trascendent? I was merely responding to your statement: From about 1974-1990, the amount of truly great, great new artists emerging were little or none and I simply pointed out some really great artists from that time period. Calling The Pixies "indie" or saying punk has been watered down is neither here nor there and has nothing to do with my reply (IMO).

And too bad Eddie Van Halen inventing an entire new style of playing the electric guitar is not "innovative" enough for you.

But I glanced back at your original post (you remember that one, the one I was responding to?) where you list The Strokes....The Strokes, as great artists. Yikes.

Long live rock.

Lets all chill out here, enough of this stupid arguement. Long live rock is right.

ycartrob

Lets all chill out here, enough of this stupid arguement. Long live rock is right.

yes, lets do (I like to argue  ::))

And one thing about this board, we can have heated debates and strong disagreements, but it's not, and never should get, personal. So, if you feel that coming from me, dismiss it b/c it ain't there.

Because in the future, chances are we'll be at a Jacket show at the same time, elbow to elbow, singing together at the tops of our lungs.

Peace.

out

.Walt

QuoteI think that was in Europe supporting PJ, might be wrong.
Great, great pic!

it was.  i know they weren't the headliner, but playing at that place would be coolest thing ever. thats a once in a lifetime kind of thing, for any band to play there.

.Walt

yes, lets do (I like to argue  ::))

And one thing about this board, we can have heated debates and strong disagreements, but it's not, and never should get, personal. So, if you feel that coming from me, dismiss it b/c it ain't there.

Because in the future, chances are we'll be at a Jacket show at the same time, elbow to elbow, singing together at the tops of our lungs.

Peace.

out

i feel the love.