nye msg meetup

Started by sshho, Oct 17, 2008, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

I think the chances of

a) Times Square (and everything else within a 15-block radius) being a complete cluster and
b) you sneaking into GA

are both at about 100%   ;)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

October

Quotehaven't read through all the various threads, but just wondering....

is there a sort of definitive plan, where the bulk of members will be meeting up pre-show?  or are we still trying to work that out?

i think we're still trying to work that out but stay tuned--it will probably be some dive bar w/in a couple blocks of MSG which will be convenient for everyone :-)

hey thanks---

dive bar = excellent.  i shall refer exclusively to this thread from now on.  wherever it seems like the the most folks are headed, i'll just meet you all there.  i'll be heading over from jersey early afternoon, ready to rock

Penny Lane

Quotehaven't read through all the various threads, but just wondering....

is there a sort of definitive plan, where the bulk of members will be meeting up pre-show?  or are we still trying to work that out?

i think we're still trying to work that out but stay tuned--it will probably be some dive bar w/in a couple blocks of MSG which will be convenient for everyone :-)

hey thanks---

dive bar = excellent.  i shall refer exclusively to this thread from now on.  wherever it seems like the the most folks are headed, i'll just meet you all there.  i'll be heading over from jersey early afternoon, ready to rock

yeah i was going to head from Hoboken between 3-4, that way we're there and we can get a few drinks in and leave and still get up front for GA. i'm all about being fashionably EARLY for the Pitt :-) this way, we're about 2 blocks away.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bold99

QuoteI think I might stay at the Sunswick until the last dog is hung...no point in getting to the venue early.  None of us are going to be on the rail unless we eschew pre-partying completely, and where's the fun in that?

I'm with that...I don't plan on heading to the venue until the last possible minute..I see no point in standing around waiting in a line when we can be having drinks.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteThe Blarney about a block away closed  :(  but maybe it's not the same one that you are thinking of...

I also in the neighborhood, but not too divey is The Ginger Man.  If you're looking for good beer, this might be a good option.  It's at 11 East 36th St.

http://www.gingerman-ny.com/  

There should be a good divey option for those looking for PBR  ;) ...I'll check and post it here when I find it.  :)

hey NoVa! i just called and talked to the MGR at this Ginger Man and she's going to call me back next week. i looked up some reviews (one specifically said they had The Last Waltz on the jukebox) and it seemed like it was big enough and it has a back room we can reserve. I'm trying to get them to do a 4-7 or 5-8 drink special. I told them even if they were doing a NYE thing already, we'd all pretty much be leaving for MSG by 7:30/8. I'll keep you posted because this looks huge and they have over 60 beers on tap.

Awesome...thanks so much, PennyLane!!  I was thinking that the back room there might be doable and for beer selection, Ginger Man rocks.   :)  Yippeeeee!

DirtyJerzee

QuoteI think the chances of

a) Times Square (and everything else within a 15-block radius) being a complete cluster and
b) you sneaking into GA

are both at about 100%   ;)

The trains going into manhattan won't be that bad from what I saw last new years. We have two lsubway lines to pick from, so it won't be too bad getting back in. Where the place is in Queens is just on the outskirts of Manhattan if anyone is wondering.

DirtyJerzee

QuoteMe, Red Velvet & Co. will be at the $50 (!!!) four-hour open bar organized by the Phenomenal Dirty Jerzee of Bonnaroo Board (and other) fame.  I figure if we leave by 6 pm, there'll be no problem getting back in to the city in plenty of time.

Just giving some heads up, for those of you that are thinking of going, you have until Dec 22nd to make the payment, which is in 2 weeks :-) You can pay by money order,paypal, or check. If you have any issues concerning payments just PM me and we shall work them out.
-Jay

ALady

QuoteI think I might stay at the Sunswick until the last dog is hung...no point in getting to the venue early.  None of us are going to be on the rail unless we eschew pre-partying completely, and where's the fun in that?

I'm with that...I don't plan on heading to the venue until the last possible minute..I see no point in standing around waiting in a line when we can be having drinks.

bold knows what's up   ;)

Jerzee, thanks so much all your effort putting this together!  I'm excited to spend my pre-show warmup with a nice big crowd of Jacketheads   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

DirtyJerzee

No problemo. I just hope I am sober enough to get back to the Garden afterwards  :)

Sassbox

Uh, so are we... ;)
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Kenny76

QuoteThe Blarney about a block away closed  :(  but maybe it's not the same one that you are thinking of...

I also in the neighborhood, but not too divey is The Ginger Man.  If you're looking for good beer, this might be a good option.  It's at 11 East 36th St.

http://www.gingerman-ny.com/  

There should be a good divey option for those looking for PBR  ;) ...I'll check and post it here when I find it.  :)

hey NoVa! i just called and talked to the MGR at this Ginger Man and she's going to call me back next week. i looked up some reviews (one specifically said they had The Last Waltz on the jukebox) and it seemed like it was big enough and it has a back room we can reserve. I'm trying to get them to do a 4-7 or 5-8 drink special. I told them even if they were doing a NYE thing already, we'd all pretty much be leaving for MSG by 7:30/8. I'll keep you posted because this looks huge and they have over 60 beers on tap.

Last Waltz on the juke and 60+ beers on tap.  sounds like heaven to me.  and then I can leave heaven and see MMJ at the garden?   :o  :o

Penny Lane

I just talked to the MGR at Ginger Man and she gave me the low down-

1. We can all just plan to meet up there (I just need to call her and let her know if there are a bunch of us so she can make sure there are enough staff) or we can try to reserve the backroom (which is huge).

2. However, in order to reserve the backroom, we need to guarantee the 50 people spend at least $20/person -1000 total (which i don't think it will be a problem but my concern is it's not each person paying, they total it on one bill and then let us know when we've hit it--and then we figure out how we're paying) this is pretty standard for NY bars (especially on NYE)--i don't think we should bother reserving this but if 20/30 of you want to do this, i'm up for it.

**she said she has had other people calling about going there before the MMJ show which is good--so my take is that we all just plan to meet there and get our own drinks---if no one reserves the backroom (which i am suspecting no one won't at this late point) we can just use the backroom anyway.** i suspect we'll fill up the whole place.

She said their open bar special doesn't start until 8, which i think will probably apply to most of the bars.

I think that we should all just plan to meet up there--it's a huge place, lots of beer on tap and it's a block or so over from the venue.

thoughts??  ;)

October

sounds great.  i'll definitely swing by.

i would also vote for not reserving anything, as any number of problems can arise, particularly with money/payment type issues, but that's just my opinion.

fleabag

QuoteI just talked to the MGR at Ginger Man and she gave me the low down-

1. We can all just plan to meet up there (I just need to call her and let her know if there are a bunch of us so she can make sure there are enough staff) or we can try to reserve the backroom (which is huge).

2. However, in order to reserve the backroom, we need to guarantee the 50 people spend at least $20/person -1000 total (which i don't think it will be a problem but my concern is it's not each person paying, they total it on one bill and then let us know when we've hit it--and then we figure out how we're paying) this is pretty standard for NY bars (especially on NYE)--i don't think we should bother reserving this but if 20/30 of you want to do this, i'm up for it.

**she said she has had other people calling about going there before the MMJ show which is good--so my take is that we all just plan to meet there and get our own drinks---if no one reserves the backroom (which i am suspecting no one won't at this late point) we can just use the backroom anyway.** i suspect we'll fill up the whole place.

She said their open bar special doesn't start until 8, which i think will probably apply to most of the bars.

I think that we should all just plan to meet up there--it's a huge place, lots of beer on tap and it's a block or so over from the venue.

thoughts??  ;)

Sounds like a great plan -- flexible enough for a crazy evening.    They needn't worry about a bunch of crazed MMJ fans racking up a 1k bar tab either!

I'll definitely go.  I won't put myself on the roll call until my ticket arrives next week.  Also, I met you this summer at the Philly show. Hey!
...words only got in the way

Penny Lane

QuoteI just talked to the MGR at Ginger Man and she gave me the low down-

thoughts??  ;)

Sounds like a great plan -- flexible enough for a crazy evening.    They needn't worry about a bunch of crazed MMJ fans racking up a 1k bar tab either!

I'll definitely go.  I won't put myself on the roll call until my ticket arrives next week.  Also, I met you this summer at the Philly show. Hey!

wait, did i meet you and your wife? hope you can make it! see you all there.

fleabag

wait, did i meet you and your wife? hope you can make it! see you all there.

Yep that was us.  Flying solo this NYE though ... I can't wait!!
...words only got in the way

Trash Bag Windows

I'm a big fan of the Gingerman in Austin, TX.  I'm down for Gingerman pre-game.