Rolling Stone's 20 New Guitar Gods

Started by LaurieBlue, Feb 11, 2007, 08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEO

QuoteDerek Trucks is coming. Should I go?

Absolutley!!!!!! Derek Trucks is an incredible guitar player!  The ticket will be around $15-$20 and you wont be disappointed

Please do not miss it. I just purchased a couple of albums, Songlines and Live at Georgia Theatre. They are totally awesome. Especially when he plays the slide. If I am suggesting one, probably the live one since he is such a jam king.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

yieldgirl

Quote[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
1. John Mayer
2. Derek Trucks
3. John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers
4. Luther Dickinson - North Mississippi Allstars
5. Nels Cline - Wilco
6. Warren Haynes - Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule
7. Jim James & Cark Broemel - My Morning Jacket
8. Adam Jones - Tool
9. Kaki King
10. Mike McCready & Stone Gossard - Pearl Jam
11. Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave
12. Ed O'Brien & Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead
13. Omar Rodriguez-Lopex - Mars Volta
14. Matt Pike - Sleep, High On Fire
15. Jack White - White Stripes, Raconteurs
16. Chuck Garvey & Al Schnier - Moe

sorry, but Mike and Stone should be higher then Jim and Clark
He made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree.
The wind rose up set him down on his knee.
A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw.
Deliver him wings,

Jon T.

Perhaps you should take this up with Rolling Stone.

ratsprayer

Quote[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
1. John Mayer
2. Derek Trucks
3. John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers
4. Luther Dickinson - North Mississippi Allstars
5. Nels Cline - Wilco
6. Warren Haynes - Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule
7. Jim James & Cark Broemel - My Morning Jacket
8. Adam Jones - Tool
9. Kaki King
10. Mike McCready & Stone Gossard - Pearl Jam
11. Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave
12. Ed O'Brien & Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead
13. Omar Rodriguez-Lopex - Mars Volta
14. Matt Pike - Sleep, High On Fire
15. Jack White - White Stripes, Raconteurs
16. Chuck Garvey & Al Schnier - Moe

ed and jonny should be higher than everyone else on that list, but...

peanut butter puddin surprise

oh, that list is silly anyways.  why didn't they just ask "who is your favorite guitarist?"    kinda like asking "what's your favorite burrito?"  
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

megisnotreal

clark?

Jon T.

chris

Ok, it's been a long time since i've been here but just been taking a few peeks lately.  Anyway, had to chime in.  I totally agree with the Doug Martch of Built to spill, and one of my favs of all time from one of my favorite bands of all time, Ronald Jones, formally of the flaming lips.  This guy was amazing, and I miss his contribution to that band so much.  They might even still be my favorite band if he was still with them.
yeah, so if it's sad, well you still gotta live till ya die

ManNamedTruth

Quote They might even still be my favorite band if he was still with them.
Are you kidding me? They're done there best work without him.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

chris

No offense, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I do like the soft bulletin and the others that came after that, it's just that I've been listening to this band since like 1993 and nothing beats transmissions from the satellite heart, hit to death in the future head, priest driven ambulance and clouds taste metallic (although that's my least favorite of those four).  and yes i know that ronald was only on transmissions and clouds, but no one else in that band, not even the musical genius Steven Drozd could do with a guitar what Ronald Jones could.   Those were the days when the lips rocked (but in a way none of their contemporaries did), now this pop/orchestral stuff gets a little old after a while and the fact that wayne coyne used to be so whimsical and esoteric and I held the same level of admiration for him that I now hold for someone like Jim James is sad.   He seems to have become some sort of pseudo metaphysical sage.  His lyrics used to have a lot to say about life  both dark and funny and whimsical, but now it's serious and the whimsy and humor seem contrived.  I'm digressing, sorry.  Don't get me wrong I still admire the flaming lips and for 10 straight years I was absolutely obsessed with them, I just miss their old sound, but one can at least say they're not repeating themselves with each album.  But I sure do  think Ronald was a guitar virtuoso and I sorely miss him.  Sorry for the rant, no hard feelings I hope.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteNo offense, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I do like the soft bulletin and the others that came after that, it's just that I've been listening to this band since like 1993 and nothing beats transmissions from the satellite heart, hit to death in the future head, priest driven ambulance and clouds taste metallic (although that's my least favorite of those four).  and yes i know that ronald was only on transmissions and clouds, but no one else in that band, not even the musical genius Steven Drozd could do with a guitar what Ronald Jones could.   Those were the days when the lips rocked (but in a way none of their contemporaries did), now this pop/orchestral stuff gets a little old after a while and the fact that wayne coyne used to be so whimsical and esoteric and I held the same level of admiration for him that I now hold for someone like Jim James is sad.   He seems to have become some sort of pseudo metaphysical sage.  His lyrics used to have a lot to say about life  both dark and funny and whimsical, but now it's serious and the whimsy and humor seem contrived.  I'm digressing, sorry.  Don't get me wrong I still admire the flaming lips and for 10 straight years I was absolutely obsessed with them, I just miss their old sound, but one can at least say they're not repeating themselves with each album.  But I sure do  think Ronald was a guitar virtuoso and I sorely miss him.  Sorry for the rant, no hard feelings I hope.
I haven't been listening to them for all that long but i do have Clouds and Transmissions and I can't get into em as much as their last 3 albums.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

chris

That's ok, just try in a priest driven ambulance, a lot of people swear by that one.  I once spoke to steven drozd at a show and he said that was his favorite album of theirs (he didn't play on that album).

chris

Oh yeah, I just forgot a couple of other amazing guitarists.  What about Thurston Moore and Lee Renaldo of Sonic Youth they did some revolutionary stuff that I don't think had been done too much up until that point.  Also a personal favorite of mine is David Pajo when he was in Slint.

Jaimoe

QuoteOh yeah, I just forgot a couple of other amazing guitarists.  What about Thurston Moore and Lee Renaldo of Sonic Youth they did some revolutionary stuff that I don't think had been done too much up until that point.  Also a personal favorite of mine is David Pajo when he was in Slint.

I wouldn't call Moore and Renaldo "new" guitar gods. They have been around since the 80's and have made many past Guitar Great lists. Sonic Youth's music remains fresh and vital and young, so I can see why you'd include them.

DaFunkyPrecedent

wayne coyne talks too much at his shows and totally kills you high when your there.  
God damn those shaky knees.

gideon27

This is my first post ever, but I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure Warren Haynes, Mike McCready, Omar-Rodriguez Lopez, the guys from MMJ and especially Tom Morello can all kick John Mayer's ass at everything.

TheBigChicken

Sorry about the John M. blasts...finally went out and got a few of his cd's...really captivating stuff...then I went out and got the latest issue of Tiger Beat...raced home and tore out the freakin' centerfold...John boy is now on my living room wall right next to my Gary Glitter shrine...mark the tape folks I've never been so wrong in my entire life...let's all hope MMJ and John boy tour together..they can call it the Hair and Hair Care Tour........LOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

TheBigChicken

oh and if you want to hear somereally good stuff ....check out his FUCKING GARBAGE on the Dave Chappelle show...now that is TOTAL DOGSHIT
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

MarkW

EDIT: I have deleted my original post.  Drink+Keyboard=Fuckwittage.  :-[
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side