Rolling Stone - Best Live Bands Playing Right Now

Started by red, Jul 23, 2007, 12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Between amphitheaters, major tours and giant festivals, summer is clearly designed for live music. So tell us which act you've seen lately that gave you that elusive wow-life-is-awesome sensation. Here are five bands we're nominating:

* Arcade Fire
   * Yeah Yeah Yeahs
   * My Morning Jacket
   * The Hold Steady
   * The Raconteurs

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/07/20/weekend-rock-list-best-live-bands-playing-today/

Nice (and more than correct) to see the boys up there.  Especially alongside The Hold Steady.  :D

.Walt

i was going to say, its been awhile since rolling stone mentioned MMJ.   great to see that!!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

CT90CT

Actually it hasn't been that long at all, they were in the February Rolling Stone, Well Carl and Jim atleast.  There was an article about guitar gods, there was a blurb about them and a few others.  The main story was on John Mayer, Derek Trucks, and John Frusciante though.

.Walt

QuoteActually it hasn't been that long at all, they were in the February Rolling Stone, Well Carl and Jim atleast.  There was an article about guitar gods, there was a blurb about them and a few others.  The main story was on John Mayer, Derek Trucks, and John Frusciante though.

i know.

there was awhile there, that issue after issue rolling stone said something about MMJ. nothing huge, but they at least mentioned them. but they really haven't said anything of them since the "guitar gods" issue. i guess i  kind of expect them to write something about them every issue now. i'm spoiled!!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

red

1. White Stripes
2. Radiohead
3. Pearl Jam
4. Rage Against the Machine
5. U2
6. Metallica
7. Flaming Lips
8. My Morning Jacket
9. The Hold Steady
10. Arcade Fire
11. The Raconteurs
12. Wilco
13. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
14. Red Hot Chili Peppers
15. Gogol Bordello
16. Kings of Leon
17. Muse
18. Dave Matthews Band
19. Tool
20. LCD Soundsystem

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/07/23/the-20-best-live-bands-playing-right-now/

dragonboy

Yeah but the list wasn't it order, right Jaimoe?  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MMJ_fanatic

Isn't there a problem with the "right now" part, seeing as there are so few shows lined up?
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Jaimoe

QuoteYeah but the list wasn't it order, right Jaimoe?  ;)

It's in order alright. I can't argue with many on the list or even the #1 and #2, since the list implies current touring bands - although Metallica has been silent for a few years until the Live Earth concert. Arcade Fire are easily a Top 5 or better band.

dragonboy

It's in order alright. I can't argue with many on the list or even the #1 and #2, since the list implies current touring bands - although Metallica has been silent for a few years until the Live Earth concert. Arcade Fire are easily a Top 5 or better band.
I was referring to the previous list (the one with John Mayer etc) that caused so much controversy here.  
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jellyfish

Ryan Adams should be on that list somewhere.  :(
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

im2bob

No mention of The Decemberists?   Saw them a couple weeks ago in Atlanta with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.   These guys are great live.

Ghosts_on_TV

Glad DMB is getting some love, they are WAY underrated by a lot of people.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

oman

I guess Dr. Dog is too new to get a mention in RS.But hands down the best live show I've seen this year,and yes,thank you Jim for taking these boys under your wings.
Looking to marry the Eat Me Beat Me lady

Jaimoe

I was referring to the previous list (the one with John Mayer etc) that caused so much controversy here.  

I knew you were.

Jaimoe

QuoteGlad DMB is getting some love, they are WAY underrated by a lot of people.

Where is this place where the DMB is underrated? Dave and his band continue to be one of the biggest concert draws and his albums normally go platinum, even if his last few can't compare artistically to his early work .  

The DARK

The only reason The Raconteurs is up there is because RS worships them. I'm also a bit skeptical about how good a show Red Hot Chili Peppers puts on and whether Metallica really qualifies. I would've replaced those three with Widespread Panic, Sonic Youth, and The National, three bands which more than deserve to be up there. Other than that, it's not a bad list.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Jaimoe

QuoteThe only reason The Raconteurs is up there is because RS worships them. I'm also a bit skeptical about how good a show Red Hot Chili Peppers puts on and whether Metallica really qualifies. I would've replaced those three with Widespread Panic, Sonic Youth, and The National, three bands which more than deserve to be up there. Other than that, it's not a bad list.

The RHCP's are either great or terrible in concert. It all comes down to Anthony's voice and if he can keep it in key, which is highly unlikely on most nights. WSP are a fantastic live band, but will never break out of being a regional phenomenen. A better bet for breakout success would be the shamefully overlooked Drive By Truckers. I totally agree with Sonic Youth making that list. The Beasties are fantastic live too, although they have been on a hiatus until recently.

The DARK

I'm glad LCD Soundsystem made the list. There's one band that deserves to be up there!
In another time, in another place, in another face

knotcameloose

4. Rage Against the Machine

This is based on what, one show?
Come on.....

::)

Yatz

Does anyone else think that The Hold Steady are one of the most horrible bands they have ever seen/heard.  I saw them less than a year ago and tried listening to Boys and Girls for a good week of play and just don't see what anyone likes about them.  The singer can't sing, the rhythm section is nothing special, certainly not close to the acclaimed E Street Band status that one critic mentioned, and like the leeches they are the other critics vomited on to unsuspecting readers.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now.  Anyone that doesn't like them will I hope take solace in my rambling.  For the rest of you, I respect you all because you are big enough fans of the best band in the world.  

Much obliged,
Travis
[url="//www.myspace.com/travistalbert"]www.myspace.com/travistalbert[/url]