Main Menu

DMB

Started by marktwain, Aug 26, 2004, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktwain

did everyone hear about Dave Matthews' bus driver dumping 800 gallons of human waste into the chicago river, coating a boatload of tourists?  man, that is hilarious! (because it didn't happen to me)

If I were a little nastier, I would make a comment like: he's been dumping pooh on us figuratively for years, now he has taken the next step.  But I'm too nice to ever say anything like that. ;)

Anyway, he was good enough to warn us with that song "don't drink the water"

peanut butter puddin surprise

Holy crap!  ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

some moron deejay on a station up here was talking about this last night and had the unmitigate lack of brains to ask what rock star/celeb thay would actually want to have dump their sewage on them.  some goof said he wanted to use Britney's poop for self abuse :P
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

katkillad

I'm sure no specific member of dmb actually spilled piss all over the bridge and onto a tourist boat...even though thats how every article makes it sound.  They are rich beyond measurement anyways so my guess is its not a big deal.  

wordawg

So why are you people down on the DaveMatthewsBand?
the future is Ginger

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteSo why are you people down on the DaveMatthewsBand?

Greggy, there are those who would crap all over DMB for whatever reason, but don't listen.  I may not like his music, but I respect him as an artist.

I would, however, crap all over Nickleback, Staind, et al Nu Metal diarreah as I don't respect any of them as "artists".  Sorry.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

CC

never cared much for their albums but I liked their show at bonnaroo.
great musicians.
wouldn't mind seein em again.

uh, 800 gallons? wow, that sounds like a lot.

marktwain

I joke.  I must admit there are some DMB songs I enjoy.  It's really not the music as much as the whole Abercrombie and Fitch scene surrounding the band that bothers me.  This is hypocritical, I know, because I've always been bothered by people who write off the Grateful Dead's music without listening because they are turned off by their following.

When I was in college, I was drowning in a sea of upper-middle class, white bread folks who were all avid DMB followers, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

No offense meant toward anyone who truly enjoys Dave's music.  As I said, I dig some of it (though I only admit that to people I trust) ;D

havibulin

QuoteIt's really not the music as much as the whole Abercrombie and Fitch scene surrounding the band that bothers me.  This is hypocritical, I know, because I've always been bothered by people who write off the Grateful Dead's music without listening because they are turned off by their following.

There are a lot of great bands that are given a bad rap because of their following or fanbase. dmb and the dead have to be considered. I could also make a great case for bands like tool, or radiohead even. Go to a tool show and you get the limp bizkit crowd thrashing all over the place, not even listening to the music and booing the mellower songs. and radiohead fans are looked at as white-collar too smart for you type of people...at least according to most of my friends anyway.

but you make a good point tundra...

katkillad

It took me so long to get into dmb.  I really only started listening to them a few years ago.  I dislike most of their radio songs, but even those grow on you after a while.  I just appreciate how much energy and talent goes into their music.  I think mmj has some of those same characteristics.  Dmb is lumped together with the huge list of my second favorite bands.

/agreed about tool...When I go there or to an APC concert I look around and its a bunch of 14-16 year olds mainly.  I think they shouldn't be listening to that kind of music...but thats just me talking in my old age.  

Chills

Does anybody in Europe even know DMB? Should we?
Funny story however.

marktwain

When I was in London a few years back, there was a promotion going on with posters all over town asking "Who is Dave Matthews?"  This is funny b/c he was already a big star in the U.S.

If I'm not mistaken, he's South African by birth, though.  

MMJ_fanatic

I really have always liked Under The Table and Dreaming but kinda lost track/interest in them after that album.  I know Nickelback is today's Boston but I just have some wire in my head that reaponds to loud heavy guitars when the mood strikes me  :D

wordawg

QuoteDoes anybody in Europe even know DMB?
I know people that like the band. I live in Europe. The answer is yes.

Should we?
That's up to you.

I've been listening to this band for years. Like the music and would like to see them live. Got into them via the Dead connection.
I still don't understand what appears to be the problem with them?
Maybe you have to live in America to understand.Is it a political thing or have you just decided not to like them.
I'm interested to find out. I would have thought that DMB and MMJ would have some degree of connection.

I'm so old that I can remember when you could buy an album, take it home and listen to it. You enjoyed it or you didn't.

Then you got on with the rest of your life.

Then you bought another album....... :-*
the future is Ginger

SMc55

It's amazing how all the stuff around a band influences how you feel about the music. I know it's happened to me. I went completely off some bands when they played Sun City, for example. (And off Paul McCartney when he became a knob with wings  :))

I haven't been listening to DMB for long, and had no idea what their 'image' was, and really like the music. That's an amazing voice. Was really surprised to read how down some of you are about them. Good thing we're all different I suppose, or the world would be overrun with marzipan.

MMJ_fanatic

mmmm marzipan :)

SMc55

Quotemmmm marzipan :)

My point exactly!

I knew somebody must like it, but there's no explanation for it. Don't know if that makes any sense - don't know if it needs to  ;)

bus driver

it was actually 100 gallons... not 800... i think what might of confused you is the spin that the lawsuit put on it... 1 gallon = about 8 lbs... so a standard 100 gallon gray water tank on a tour bus would hold about 800 lbs. of waste... i think they just said it was 800 lbs in the lawsuit because it sounds so much worse than 100 gallons.

MMJ_fanatic

800 lds is a lot of doodie :P

Oz

We in Holland hardly know the guy, it's true. I know about two songs of him, that's about it and I think they're okay. When MMJ signed for his label, it was real fun to hear all of you bashing Matthews, and we were all thinking: what is your poblem with that guy, and by the way, who is he?  ;D
I'm ready when you are