American Holidays

Started by EC, May 23, 2005, 07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

So right now it's Victoria Day.  (Yeah, I don't really know what it is either - Queen Victoria's birthday?  Probably.)  Anyhow, there are fireworks going off everywhere, and we're just watching them from the deck.

But that reminded me - what is Memorial Day?  And what are you supposed to do on it?  Will there be fireworks?  Also, is it the Friday or the Monday?  

Thanks fellows.  :)

tomEisenbraun

Memorial Day is a week from today. I think its in honor of people who died in war, or people who fought in war. Kind of like veterans day, but a little more all-encompassing? whatever, its a national holiday so no school (but i'll be on my senior trip to Colorado, so who cares!?)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

Quotebut i'll be on my senior trip to Colorado, so who cares!?
fun!  I'll be in Mammoth Cave National Park! :)

Thanks for the info, Eisey.

darkglow

mammoth cave is fun

i have a wonderful story to tell about that place

one time my geography class went on a field trip to mammoth cave and somehow we sabotaged the place and got "removed" from the vacinity..

apparantly someone "stole sunglasses" from the gift store

i remember going to school on a monday and seeing a black guy, who was known as a hustler, wheeling and dealing sunglasses. it was hilarious.

very national lampoon-ish.

marktwain

Why would anyone need to buy (or steal) sunglasses at a cave? ???  

I've been to Mammoth Cave a few times, and don't remember it being very bright.

Meg - there's a really good book of poems about Mammoth Cave by a former guide/park ranger named Davis McCombs.  The book is Ultima Thule - you should check it out if you have a chance (and if you like poetry)

EC

QuoteMeg - there's a really good book of poems about Mammoth Cave by a former guide/park ranger named Davis McCombs.  The book is Ultima Thule - you should check it out if you have a chance (and if you like poetry)
That is very cool to know.  I wonder if we can get it here...  (Did you mention his name once in the books thread where you were talking about KC writers?  His name sounds familiar.

Darnit.  You can't even find it on google.  Maybe it'll be in the gift shop...  I always like to read books/poetry about places when I'm in the place.  (Or visit places that are mentioned in books.)  Thanks for the tip!!  :)

(What does Ultima Thule mean exactly, anyhow...)

kymoose

Hey EC, make sure you check out the above ground portions of Mammoth Cave National Park as well.  There is a huge network of hiking and mtn. biking trails.  Really cool sinkholes and sinking streams everywhere.

If you're in the bluegrass...you should consider going to Red River Gorge as well (about 2.5 hours east).  Yo.

EC

Yo back - thanks!  :)

(Hey, what's a sinkhole?)

marktwain

Here's the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0300083173/qid=1116958986/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-7879919-3432825
Here's "ultima thule" acc. to the OED:
"the highest or uttermost point or degree attained or attainable, the acme, limit; the lowest limit, the nadir."

EC

Geez, why couldn't i find it?  Man, I seriously think my brain is broken today.  I have made a LOT of mistakes.  (thanks tundra!)

tomEisenbraun

sinkholes are where the ground kind of opens up or shifts way under ground, causing a weak spot on the sruface and the surface just kind of falls in. Imagine those traps that hunters use where theres a leave covered tarp over a hole and youw alk on it and it falls in. this of it like that, only a hell of a lot bigger and everything on top just gets jacked

EC

Quotesinholes

That is one of the best typos EVER.   ;D

want.to.go.home.from.work.c'mon.dvd.burner.stop.buggin'.

tomEisenbraun

EC

:-[ But it was awesome!

tomEisenbraun

ah, well...i didnt want any explanations of what one of those was...

kymoose

Yeah just to second what Eisey said--to get really high-tech, sinkholes are caused by calcium carbonate leaching and weathering in thick limestone bedrock.  Around Mammoth Cave there is literally tons of thick limestone that is perfect for caves and sinkholes--it's called karst topography.  Wow, I guess I really am using my bachelor's degree in geology.

EC

QuoteYeah just to second what Eisey said--to get really high-tech, sinkholes are caused by calcium carbonate leaching and weathering in thick limestone bedrock.  Around Mammoth Cave there is literally tons of thick limestone that is perfect for caves and sinkholes--it's called karst topography.  Wow, I guess I really am using my bachelor's degree in geology.

GOOD WORK!!  Wow.  That's awesome.  You have a b.a. in geology?  That's very cool.  

kymoose

Hey, as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Yeah, if anyone has any other rock questions just shoot.

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteYeah, if anyone has any other rock questions just shoot

What's up with that new White Stripes song?  Do They Might be Giants count as a "rock" group?  If Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck had stayed together in Yardbirds, would they have created the world's greatest "rock" band??  All this and more...

totally kidding here.  I've got a green rock in my house that my geology professor couldn't identify...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!  

ha.

Hey moose, what is the difference between a crystal and a rock?  Is a crystal a type of rock?  How about stalagtytes and statagmytes - what're the differences?