David Berman disses MMJ

Started by cmccubbin@work, Apr 14, 2008, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aMD

Dee.

Thank you kindly! It's good to be back. Hello hello everybody.  8-)

ycartrob

as long as this guy didn't dis RUSH, then me and him are good...

whothrewthecake

Angry Ewok

Sounds like someone is hungry for some attention.

p.s. I've listened to Silver Jews before - Tanglewood Numbers sucks.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Coltrane

I think when Berman speaks to the "media," he assumes most people don't know who he is. He's said alot of cryptic things before, and alot of things he didn't mean or believe, just to see if people are paying attention.

I love the Jacket and I love the Joos........'nuff said.

Oh. and about the comment on the Jews live show above.....that's a bit out of bounds i think. I mean, the guy hadn't played any show of any kind in about a decade.....and he didn't miss any words in Philly when I saw them- and that was only like the six or seventh show they had EVER played. and they were wonderful...one of my favorite shows of all time....

moving on....
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Coltrane

Quoteas long as this guy didn't dis RUSH, then me and him are good...

who could ever hate a face like this:

sweatboard

"he was just hoping to get this stuff by without anyone really noticing."

I understand what Dave was getting at with his answer in the interview; unfortunately I don't think he picked the best example.

I mean I think he still made his point if you take it in the context of the entire interview, but the quote above is really really off base.  I think Jim is just as interested in people sitting down with his music as Dave is.  I could listen to MMJ on a subway with my eyes closed and get awesome things out of it and I could jam it on the patio at a house party and it would probably enhance the vibe.....try jamming the Silver Jews at a house party where no one has heard of the Silver Jews.....it's probably not going to inspire many people to get naked for the orgy you have planned at the end of the evening.  

I know I'm rambling, sorry.  I'm really interested in this.

I just get the vibe that Dave is trying to come to terms with why a band like MMJ gains such huge momentum and the Silver Jews continue to sell 20,000 records with every release to the same 20,000 people...and he took it out on MMJ.  It's cool Dave, I know what you're saying, I just don't think you picked the best example.  Like Tracy said "Rush" would have made MUCH more sense, unless you're really into dragons and shit.  ;)
There's Still Time.........

BH

It's just the way that he sings,
not the words that he says, or the band.
Im in love with this soul, it's a meaning that I understand.

Maybe David is not deep enough to understand the meaning of Jim's lyrics.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MyLifeISought

p.s. I've listened to Silver Jews before - Tanglewood Numbers sucks.

Tanglewood Numbers does suck. American Water on the other hand does not, in any way, suck. It's one of the great rock albums of the last decade.
That said, David Berman's a douche.
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

sweatboard

QuoteIt's just the way that he sings,
not the words that he says, or the band.
Im in love with this soul, it's a meaning that I understand.

Maybe David is not deep enough to understand the meaning of Jim's lyrics.  

Ha, I do think that maybe Dave is a little guilty of what he's accusing others of and that is not really sitting down with the music.  

It's like Bob Dylan talking shit about Led Zeppelin, except that Dave's lyrics aren't as good as Dylan's, and Jim's are better than Plant's.  

sweatboard

Having said that....

Tanglewood Numbers
American Water
and
Lookout Mt., Lookout Sea

all AWESOME!!!

Coltrane

QuoteHaving said that....

Tanglewood Numbers
American Water
and
Lookout Mt. Lookout Sea

all AWESOME!!!

agreed!!

sweatboard

I think that Dave has done the best job of marrying music and lyrics on the last two records, yet no improvement in record sales, it probably has him frustrated.

The Malkmus solo on "Punks in the beerlight" might be my favorite Malkmus guitar moment of all time and that's saying a WHOLE lot.  Not to mention so many other amazing moments by other musicians that I don't even know.

I mean the Silver Jews are fucking awesome!!!!  The music is amazing (even if it doesn't hit you over the head), and the lyrics are on another dimension.  I hate that Dave turned off some people by his answer to that question.

sweatboard

It's really interesting that Jim READ Dave, quoted him on one of his records and really designed the concept "Acousticcitsuoca" around that quote.....Then Dave LISTENS to MMJ and turns around and shits on them.  Who IS your audience Dave?  If you're asking me to Raise my standards, I'm going to have to ask you to grow a heart.  :-*  

Again, sorry for going on and on, this is one of the most interesting topics I've seen in a while.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI think that Dave has done the best job of marrying music and lyrics on the last two records, yet no improvement in record sales, it probably has him frustrated.

From what i've read it seems like the guy hardly tours or plays shows. If he wants success or recognition maybe he needs to look at himself and do the things successful bands do. Why criticize a band who seems to actually look up to him and has busted their asses to get everything they have, and deserve. "Embarrassing", really? If he wants to be an artist and do poetry readings and if that makes him happy then fine, do us a favor and quit making records.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

sweatboard

"do us a favor and quit making records"

I understand the anger but I think the backlash is bit harsh.  He makes amazing records.

"What is not but could be if.....We could be crossing this abridged abyss...into beginning.....When failure's got you in its grasp, it's just beginning"

I'm just sad that his response turned MMJ fans OFF to his music instead of ON to his music.

mymorningwood

wow i just checked out the silver jew bastards music and i must say that his voice is quite horrible.  Maybe their is a bit of jealousy berman has towards jim's voice?

kywoman

i love the jews but dave berman's crack smokin ass and his yellow rotten teeth can f**k off. he is so full of himself he can't see straight.

sweatboard

I can't stop listening to "Lookout Mt., Lookout Sea"  It's a GREAT record....period.  I think the record was a real victory for the Silver Jews.  He REALLY should be focusing much more energy towards being really proud of this record, rather than being worried about how the Flaming Lips and My Morning Jacket use reverb.