Profession?

Started by BIGVICLBI, Mar 07, 2005, 07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

I'm near the Joliet area.

Ever go to Buddy Guy's club?
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

SmoothOprtr

Never been to the Buddy Guy club (though I saw him open for DSave Matthews about 5 years ago at Soldiers Field)...
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

jonjon

I'm in IT. I work on AS/400 midrange systems that are used by Cingular Wireless.

I admire all you wonderful creature teachers. You have a wonderful and important job. Thanks for taking care of our youth.

This is fun digging into the archives. :)
Look into Western skies, your answer is over there.

fiftymillimeter

from 6am to 3pm i do elearning design & development for a company that lets me work out of my house. hours are early so i can hang out with my daughter in the afternoons.

EC

As of yesterday I am unemployed.

(yay!)

(oh shit!)

;D

SMc55

QuoteAs of yesterday I am unemployed.

Really? What happpened? Was it planned? You were happy there, weren't you? Are you devoting yourself full time to your music? I'm a bit nosy, aren't I?

EC

Really? What happpened? Was it planned? You were happy there, weren't you? Are you devoting yourself full time to your music? I'm a bit nosy, aren't I?

It's alll good.  It was planned.  I have been happy here, and they've been incredibly generous and supportive, but you're right, it's cutting into music stuff.

:)

vielfras

Wow it sounds like you guys all have pretty interesting jobs/careers.  Guess I will throw out a dull one.  I work in a factory assembling rear view mirrors for cars.  And I am a 3/4 time student pursuing a degree in Networking.  

Like some of you guys I majored in history for a while and I enjoyed it.  However there isn't much to do in my area with a history degree besides teaching.  And most of my friends with teaching degrees don't teach, there just aren't any jobs around here.

The factory pays the bills and pays for my college so I am just trying to hack it through until I get my degree.
When the well's dry, we know the worth of water.

jonjon

It's alll good.  It was planned.  I have been happy here, and they've been incredibly generous and supportive, but you're right, it's cutting into music stuff.

I'm really sorry EC, it's always a bogus thing to be out of work. But, it's great that you will be able to devote quality concentrated time to your music. Hey, do I hear a new career as a bee remover?

EC

I'm really sorry EC, it's always a bogus thing to be out of work. But, it's great that you will be able to devote quality concentrated time to your music. Hey, do I hear a new career as a bee remover?
No no no.  I quit!  I made the decision.  I'm still here until October.  It's seriously all good.  

jonjon

No no no.  I quit!  I made the decision.  I'm still here until October.  It's seriously all good.  

Whhhewww. I'm glad. OK, I'll cancel the 2 ring circus to raise funds for my friend EC.

EC

Whhhewww. I'm glad. OK, I'll cancel the 2 ring circus to raise funds for my friend EC.
Only 2 rings?  What the hell?

heh.

darkglow

i have 2 years of college behind me, and about a month ago i realized that i couldn't go back to the university.. it would kill me. lately i've been experiencing a downward spiral of slacking off due to lack of motivation. it really made me feel like crap about myself. I would work my ass off for the first half of the semester and get exhausted because "Sally Sue" across the room did a project half as good as mine and got the same A as me. The bar isn't set too high at my school to say the least. and i constantly looked at those who i know that are graduating college and still had no drive in life.. or no clue what the real world is even remotely about.. or just flat out didn't wanna leave their pampered environment (UT-Martin is one of the easiest universities ever.. there's the motivation issue).

So one day my long-time friend came home for a few days from San Diego. He is an Aviations Mechanic for the Navy and works on jet engines by day, and surfs and takes night classes (for free) at night. I sat and listened to all the things he is going through and started to consider serving in the armed forces as an option.

So like the good researcher I am, I did my homework on all the armed forces, and I came to the conclusion that the navy was the one. No one yelling at you, no really strict rules, alot of liberties, good benefits, and it resembles most like a regular average day job (plus a few other things). You do your job, then you can do whatever floats your boat for the rest of the day. So a few weeks later, I went down to Memphis and joined the Navy. Not sure when I'll leave yet, but I have joined and said the oath and all that good business.

The way I see it, I'll get paid to travel the world, and I get to finish my degree for free. (well $100 a month for the first year) and I'll get out at the ripe age of 24 with tons of options in front of me. Besides, I've always felt like I was the type of person you couldn't build a box big enough to keep me in.

PS - with 2 years of college under my belt, I get a instant promotion and advanced paygrade before I even leave for basic training, so I'll be 2 ranks up on everyone else there, and one rank away from being in the managerial ranks. kick ass

SMc55

Good for you!!! It takes a lot of guts to get off a treadmill, even one that's getting you nowhere (they all get you nowhere but you know what I mean).

You've obviously put a lot of thought into your decision. You've made a plan and started putting it into practice. I admire you for that. Well done!

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...