More BEER ALCOHOL CONTENT!!

Started by primushead, Aug 29, 2005, 09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

My town just passed a beer referendum allowing more alcohol percentage in brew.  I love it!! I've had two pints of 14 %  import beer tonight and I'm feeling fantastic!! Just letting everyone know ;D

darkglow

dragonboy

14%?!! That's some pretty strong beer? Chimay from Belgium, that's a good strong beer. Anybody been to the Czech Republic? Beautiful country/best beer in the world!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

darkglow

i grew up in an environment where an establishment could not sell beer by the drink unless it were more than 2 miles away from a church.. and considering it's in the bible belt and there are like 100 churches in that small town of 4,500 people.. every single bar that exists is a honky-tonk that is way out on some dirt road and they sell only light beer that tastes like watered down piss.

dragonboy

Back home in the UK I was drinking in bars when I was 15, no bullshit. Never got asked for ID.
I'm 31 now & still get carded everytime I go to the US.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Tree

NO the best beer is "Super Bock"!!  
and the worst Oettinger!!  :D
but 15%??  :o

Chills

It's official  :)

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Monks at a Belgian abbey have been forced to stop selling their famous beer after it was voted the best in the world and was promptly sold out.

The abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren in western Belgium is home to some 30 Cistercian and Trappist monks who lead a life of seclusion, prayer, manual labor -- and beer-brewing.

A survey of thousands of beer enthusiasts from 65 countries on the RateBeer Web site (www.ratebeer.com) in June rated the Westvleteren 12 beer as the world's best.

But the abbey only has a limited brewing capacity, and was not able to cope with the beer's sudden popularity.

"Our shop is closed because all our beer has been sold out," said a message on the abbey's answering machine, which it calls the "beer phone."

And the abbey has no intention of boosting its capacity to satisfy market demand.

"We are not brewers, we are monks. We brew beer to be able to afford being monks," the father abbot said on the abbey's Web site.

Monk Mark Bode told De Morgen daily: "Outsiders don't understand why we are not raising production. But for us life in the abbey comes first, not the brewery."

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteThat is one of the best things I've ever read.  Oh man.

"Our shop is closed because all our beer has been sold out"
:)

Bourbon.  The cure for beer.  ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

laws here on alcohol are bizarre, at best.  some counties outright ban all alcohol sales, while some (like this one I'm in) allow alcohol sales all day every day, except for "church hours" on sunday.  pennsylvania has state stores and NO sales anywhere except there.  

dragonboy

Bourbon.  The cure for beer.  ;)

John - fairly new to the board but am I right in thinking you like to knock back the occasional glass of Bourbon? Stop me if I'm wrong...

John - fairly new to the board but am I right in thinking you like to knock back the occasional glass of Bourbon? Stop me if I'm wrong...

After coffee, bourbon is my favorite liquid...oh yeah, love me some bourbon.  With a lot of ice and little water.

:D

Meg sounds like she knows my drinking habits...oh right, she does!

primushead

Oh yeah...the beer wasn't actually 14%..it was 11%.  But still!  That's alot of alcohol for beer.

dragonboy

QuoteOh yeah...the beer wasn't actually 14%..it was 11%.  But still!  That's alot of alcohol for beer.

Then shouldn't this thread & all of the posts that followed be deleted? Everything was written under false pretenses. Where are the forum police?
Probably out drinking 14% beer  ;)

wellfleet

i used to live in Montreal where you can buy alcohol everywhere, including the convenience store, grocery stores, gas stations and kindergartens. it seems odd that you can buy your beer on friday and drink it on sunday, during church hours (or even at church if you're feeling it) but you can't buy the beer on sunday. when i lived in dallas, i was in a dry county where you couldn't buy alcohol anywhere and that made me very sad. also, smirnoff ice has 7% alcohol content in canada but only 5% in the US. what's up with that?
everything sucks. really.

primushead

Then shouldn't this thread & all of the posts that followed be deleted? Everything was written under false pretenses. Where are the forum police?
Probably out drinking 14% beer  ;)

I suppose your right...I now crown you (inspiring music cued) forum police!!! :)

dragonboy

I suppose your right...I now crown you (inspiring music cued) forum police!!! :)

;D LOL!!!
Not sure that I'm mature or responsible enough to wear that crown. I think I'll stick to wearing the beret I bought in Paris yesterday on my way to that monestry in Belgium...

primushead

Well, when you feel ready, the throne is open.

Tree

smirnoff ice 7%??
in germ. it has about 5%

sweetdream

Quotesmirnoff ice 7%??
in germ. it has about 5%

it's only 5% in all Europe I think...at least all countries I've been to :P

Tree

hehe :)
yeah i think it´s about 4.6-5.6 %. also in portugal