Is there a chance you could meet MMJ?

Started by Im_The_Dude, Aug 30, 2008, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellis D.

Quotewhen i met him at bonnaroo--i asked to smell his beard...he seemed taken back but then he let me dive right in--mmmmmmmmmmm

By the looks of you JJ would not be taken aback!   ;) ;D

Penny Lane

Quotewhen i met him at bonnaroo--i asked to smell his beard...he seemed taken back but then he let me dive right in--mmmmmmmmmmm

By the looks of you JJ would not be taken aback!   ;) ;D

he was very understanding--he said it happens all the time...! sigh.....the life of a rock god i shall never know
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

YouAre_GivenToFly

Me and j_rud met the fellas (minus patrick, he was with family) after the DC shows. Tommy seemed tired during the show, but eventually came out of the bus and signed. Carl and Bo were really cool, as was Jim, who appeared out of nowhere. Here's how it went down.

Jim James: Is this your pen?

Me: Well.... it's his.... but he's my friend... so, yeah.

:-/
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

aMillionDreams

First time I met Jim was in a Steak and Shake in 2000.  They were coming from band practice and gearing up to see "Almost Famous".  Jim was really nice.  I had come across a mix tape he had made for someone and we talked about a few tracks on there. I was particularly into "oh yoko" and some blind melon tunes at the time.  They asked us if we wanted to go see the movie with them but we went for ice cream instead.  oops.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Sassbox

QuoteThey asked us if we wanted to go see the movie with them but we went for ice cream instead.  oops.

HAHAHAHA.  And oops doesn't really cover it, does it?!?
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Im The Dude

Those are some cool stories.  Do they usually hang out at their bus right after the show? or do they stick around in the venue? I'm going to detroit so I hope I can find where their bus will be.

thanks
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

Kris

Met Carl on Sunday in Nashville at the Dr. Dog show.

Im The Dude

I'm going to hope to see them going into the venue. Or getting off their bus. That's be sweet.

Any one else know of any good ways to meet them?

Elspeth

I met them at a sound check. We yelled out requests and I got mine in first (Thank You Too!). Afterwards Jim pointed at me and nodded. At one point during the soundcheck Jim asked, "How's everyone enjoying the soundcheck party?" All 10 of us cheered. I said, "Let's get it popping!" Jim looked at me and said, "Oh, it's poppin' alright. Soundcheck parties... they, pop." Hehe. They were all so nice and sweet. They all signed my SPIN magazine and I asked Patrick what the name of the big white dog that they posed with. His name was Jay. Tom seemed a little shy, he told us that he had family in the area though. It was a funy experience.

the_wizzard

I've been lucky to have met a member, but it was off tour (vacation style which IMO =  :-X).  However, my dear friend got to meet Jim after the Berkeley show through a friend of hers who is in the biz.....
Instead of shaking his hand, she gave him a hi-five   ;)
(and wishes that it wasn't right before they had to leave..... :-/)

Im The Dude

I hope to meet them after the Detroit show.  

TheBigChicken

Very approachable people my friend...so good luck and say hello from me. 8-)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

TheDude

Hey 'I'm The Dude' it appears you didn't realize that I'M THE DUDE!!! lol See you at the detroit show!!!
First Show: 05/22/06 Most Recent: 08/19/23 Total: 12

Im The Dude

I'm the Dude! So that's what you call me.  See you there!

logan5ive

"Come on, dudes, let's get it on!"   8-)
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

Im The Dude

QuoteVery approachable people my friend...so good luck and say hello from me. 8-)

I got to meet them in Detroit! Super nice guys and that makes me love the band even more.  Sorry, I didn't say "hi" for ya haha.

Ethel Bethel

I'm jealous. So how did you meet them? Did you meet all of them?

carolinakooiman

I got to be on stage for the rain-drenched, 4 hr., epic Bonnaroo 08 show.  A girl standing in front of us passed out while waiting for the show to start and we helped the security guard carry her to a medic tent.  We found ourselves behind the stage with no one asking what we were doing there.  So we went on stage where some other civilians had gathered and pretended like we were supposed to be there.  It was amazing, obviously.  We got to meet them after the show behind the stage, but since it was raining, they were kinda hustling for the trailer.  All 5 guys made a point to shake everyone's hand and say hello, though.  While we were on stage during the show, we got to meet the Louisville/Nashville Horns who played with them on a few songs. Most of them grew up with the band so it was cool to talk to them.  To make the evening even more surreal while watching my favorite band from the stage they played to tens of thousands from, I also got to meet (and share a J with) my favorite comedian, Zach Galifianakis.  The next night the stars aligned again while I was in line for a Rent-a-jon and had a chat with a nice young lady.  She ended up being Patrick's wife.  We exchanged numbers because I told her I'd love to hang with their crew sometime over the weekend.  I thought nothing would come of it, but when I texted her at about 1am the following night she said that they were all at the Silent Disco.  By the time we got there, she and Patrick had split, but Jim was there with some friends.  We got to talk to him for a few after watching him get down to some funk tunes and a little old school rap.  Don't know what I did to deserve it, but my love for MMJ has reached a new level.  I've found them and everyone they choose to surround themselves with to be down-to-earth and absolutely appreciative of the fans.  Click the link for some pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31346846@N05/sets/72157607997212958/

Ghosts_on_TV

Quotei paid 50 bucks to join wxpn's mailing list and to become a member when jim did a solo show for the all-about-the-music-festival a few years ago. this would've given me access to a vip era where he was going to do a meet-and-greet after his set, but he had to catch a plane. i met carl at a gillian welch show in nashville last summer. i was  embarrassed because i was wearing a my morning jacket t-shirt. we talked for a while though. he was an incredibly nice guy. they had just played lollapalooza with the children's symphony and we talked about that. talked about favorite curtis mayfield songs, favorite venues in the states.

Jim was standing around for a good 20 minutes after his set at the wxpn fest to the right of the stage, you could have met him then. I did. He was nice.  :)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Bob Loblaw

I met Jim and Two Tone before the Kansas City show.  I was outside of the venue waiting for the will call box to open so I was walking around the area getting familiar.  As I was walking away from the venue down a street I see a couple of guys in the distant turn around and start walking towards me.  Curious I thought.  As I got closer I realized who it was and about shit myself.  Now I'm almost a 30 year old man here, I can't get all giddy and act like a teenage school girl but obviously, that's my instinct.  I'm thinking to myself, what do I say, as we approach one another.  As we get closer Jim asks me if I'm from the area, they're looking for a record store.  Unfortunately, I didn't know the area and couldn't help.  I told them I was just waiting around for their show.  Jim then suggests a coffee shop they found a few blocks away to kill some time.

To make a long story short.  I ended up trailing them from about 400 yards away as they eventually made their way to this small record store.  I went in and looked around, looking down at a record, up at Jim, down at another record, up at Two Tone.  I asked Tommy to recommend a CD and he picked out some Miles Davis, sweet.  Asked Jim if they'd be back to Lollapalooza next year, told him it wasn't the same this year without them and thanks for all their music.  Jim and Tommy head to the register to pay for a few vinyl and disappear.  I gathered my thoughts, paid for what I had picked up and walked outside.  They were nowhere to be found.  I walked quickly back to the venue and I could hear them doing soundcheck.

I knew at that point the evening was going to kick ass.  Well, it did.  Probably the best concert I've ever been to.  Everything was clicking that night.  Both for me and the boys.  It was freaking awesom.

However, I was alone so I had noone to experience it with.  I didn't care though.  I had a feeling I needed to go to that show by myself.  First time going to a concert alone.  Something just told me that's what I needed to do.  I feel like it all worked out like it was supposed to.  It was awesome.  They both seemed like such nice people.