The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jones

4 hour solo mountain bike race in the AM.  Pre rode the course this afternoon and it is, well, ROCKY.  It seemed like I was getting winded easier than normal even though I only rode at about 70%.  I usually ride at about 400' above sea level and this trail is at 1600'.  I didn't really think that it would make that much difference, but maybe so.

This is my first solo endurance race and I'm doing a 6 hour next month!

tdb810

QuoteDid my 3 miles today (with no stops) Yay!  My 5k is on 10/6!  Feeling encouraged, and wishing mjk and penny best wishes and good running weather!!!
You got it in the bag babe!

Making my plans for post race recovery to avoid injuries and depression, which apparently can set in. Taking a week off from running. I'll be walking a few days and then towards the end of the week start hitting the elliptical. Also, I'm popping Airborne like chiclets this week.

How is thte post race recovery going?  back on the eliptical today!  that was fun!
All I did from Monday to today was eat and sit on my ass due to working 12 hours almost everyday. I did get out and run 4 miles this morning. It felt good but my hammies are a little touchy right now. Hope to get a good nights rest and get a nice run in tomorrow (around 8 miles).

wow, nice!  i went back to the eliptical today -- super duper easy!!!  have a good run tomorrow!
.....Back at the Model Home

tdb810

Quote4 hour solo mountain bike race in the AM.  Pre rode the course this afternoon and it is, well, ROCKY.  It seemed like I was getting winded easier than normal even though I only rode at about 70%.  I usually ride at about 400' above sea level and this trail is at 1600'.  I didn't really think that it would make that much difference, but maybe so.

WOW! impressive ! best wishes and BE careful!!!

jones

Quote4 hour solo mountain bike race in the AM.  Pre rode the course this afternoon and it is, well, ROCKY.  It seemed like I was getting winded easier than normal even though I only rode at about 70%.  I usually ride at about 400' above sea level and this trail is at 1600'.  I didn't really think that it would make that much difference, but maybe so.

Thanks!

The race went well for the most part.  I was feeling pretty good about everything until I got a flat at mile 28 out of 30.  Yep, I got a flat with less than 2 miles to go.  I changed my tube out on the trail and could only watch as I saw 5 or 6 people in my class ride by.  I ended up finishing 18th out of 24.  Oh well, it was still a lot of fun and I escaped with only a few scrapes.

Penny Lane

Thanks!

The race went well for the most part.  I was feeling pretty good about everything until I got a flat at mile 28 out of 30.  Yep, I got a flat with less than 2 miles to go.  I changed my tube out on the trail and could only watch as I saw 5 or 6 people in my class ride by.  I ended up finishing 18th out of 24.  Oh well, it was still a lot of fun and I escaped with only a few scrapes.

hey it was your first! nice job! too bad about the flat, but it's hopeful because otherwise you would have finished middle of the pack, right!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

jones

Thanks!

hey it was your first! nice job! too bad about the flat, but it's hopeful because otherwise you would have finished middle of the pack, right!
It was definitely still a good experience.  Yes, by looking at the times and splits that were posted online, I think I would have been 12 of 24.  There was a cutoff at a certain time and I wouldn't have made the cutoff even if I didn't flat.  Only 8 made the cut.  This was great training for the 6 hour next month.  The trail for the race next month is WAY easier than the Chattanooga race.  This was the toughest trail that I have ever ridden.

http://www.goneriding.com/2010/8%20Hours%20of%20Raccoon/results/2010-8Hours%20of%20Raccoon-SCORE-4.pdf

When is your marathon?

Penny Lane

As of yesterday, I had to back out of the marathon.
My dad is bringing my mom down and it's the 1 year anniversary of when she had her stroke, so it's important to her to come, even if she's not fully out of the wheelchair and all that.
There isn't anyone to take care of her during the race, so I'm gonna back out and let my dad run and just go and cheer him on. It sucks because I trained and this would have been my 4th Cbus in a row but oh well. There will be other marathons and Philly is right around the corner if I wanna do that. It's more important that my mom do something that feels somewhat normal again, and she doesn't want anyone taking care of her but my dad or myself.
*It also sucks because I'm missing the Portland show and the Ramble

tdb810

QuoteAs of yesterday, I had to back out of the marathon.
My dad is bringing my mom down and it's the 1 year anniversary of when she had her stroke, so it's important to her to come, even if she's not fully out of the wheelchair and all that.
There isn't anyone to take care of her during the race, so I'm gonna back out and let my dad run and just go and cheer him on. It sucks because I trained and this would have been my 4th Cbus in a row but oh well. There will be other marathons and Philly is right around the corner if I wanna do that. It's more important that my mom do something that feels somewhat normal again, and she doesn't want anyone taking care of her but my dad or myself.

And you, my dear, are an amazing daugher and human being :)

Penny Lane

QuoteAs of yesterday, I had to back out of the marathon.

And you, my dear, are an amazing daugher and human being :)

thanks, Trish...at least i'll be in C-bus for a football sat, which isn't that bad at all :-) pesky Wisky this weekend.

TEO

gonna' try to run this golf cart path next door before it gets light...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

TEO

would be much better during the daylight...had to pull up on the crank way too often...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

jones

BUMP.  Don't get lazy people!!!

From a race this past Saturday:

Gettin a lil uhhrrr:

Hawkeye

Nice pics as always, Flyguy!  I only did the mountainbiking thing once...it was tough!  You make it look so easy.  I just got me a boxing station for the garage...we'll see if that can keep me motivated...looks something like this:

We could.

jones

Damn, a vintage jukebox and a boxing station?  All you need is a kegerator to balance that situation out.

tdb810

QuoteBUMP.  Don't get lazy people!!!

How did you know I was getting lazy?

Yesterday was my first day back to the gym since my T5 calf injury :)  which, as horrifying as it seems, was nearly ONE whole month ago.
Anyway, I went back, and took it easy (Eliptical) for 40 mins....but want to start running again soon.

Thanks for the bump, I needed it :)

Crispy

So I'm not the only one who took a month off after T5?  ;D

I finally went for a run on Sunday and did way better than I thought it would, played racquetball last night, and will be going to yoga tonight. I'm back!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

tdb810

QuoteSo I'm not the only one who took a month off after T5?  ;D

I finally went for a run on Sunday and did way better than I thought it would, played racquetball last night, and will be going to yoga tonight. I'm back!

Nice!!!

Hawkeye

QuoteDamn, a vintage jukebox and a boxing station?  All you need is a kegerator to balance that situation out.

Well...;)  I do have everything I need for that except the refrigerator...need to start scouring Craigslist or the classifieds!  I whole-heartedly agree.  Haven't brewed any beer since April  :(
We could.

jones

QuoteDamn, a vintage jukebox and a boxing station?  All you need is a kegerator to balance that situation out.

Well...;)  I do have everything I need for that except the refrigerator...need to start scouring Craigslist or the classifieds!  I whole-heartedly agree.  Haven't brewed any beer since April  :(
I hear you.  It's been longer than that for me.  Winter = brew time.

Would it be ironic for the home brewing thread to be bumped because of the fitness thread?  I think not.

Soulshine

I was hiking a lot when I wasn't running, but now I've slowed down to long walks lately. I need to get back in gear. There is a 1/2 marathon I want to run in May. Snowshoeing and boarding are on my list too.
Because we're all in this together...