the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Just came across this  :o

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240801018&sr=1-1

I don't read enough anymore. I ashamed but can't kick myself back into good habits...

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Angry Ewok

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Penny Lane

i have a hard time reading Tom Robbins but i know everyone loves him. right now trying to plow through jitterbug perfume, it's probably just me, but it's tedious. (although funny at times). what is the draw w/him?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

red

Quotei have a hard time reading Tom Robbins but i know everyone loves him. right now trying to plow through jitterbug perfume, it's probably just me, but it's tedious. (although funny at times). what is the draw w/him?
I can't place what drew me to that novel, but it absolutely floored me.  

"I may be mad, but I prefer the shit of this world to whatever sweet ambrosias the next might offer."

tomEisenbraun

Quotei have a hard time reading Tom Robbins but i know everyone loves him. right now trying to plow through jitterbug perfume, it's probably just me, but it's tedious. (although funny at times). what is the draw w/him?

I started Villa Incognito the other day at work and really enjoyed it as far as I got, which was probably about 20 pages-ish? Next paycheck I'll probably pick it up and finish it, or maybe just make it my project book for break time.

I can see how his writing style would get tedious, though, but his narrative style really is peculiar and incredible. I love how factually and non-fantastical he presents everything about Tanuki, even though it's one of the more out-there stories I've read recently.

I'd like to know how yours ends up. My boss absolutely loves the guy, so I figured he must be at least halfway decent?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

FACE

ROLAND BARTHES' IMAGE MUSIC TEXT

red

Is that a Sparks picture you're rocking Jenny?

TheBigChicken

Steve Martin - Born Standing Up  
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

red

ycartrob

Hi Face!

My first and only exposure to Sparks was in their role as "fairground band" in the 1977 action thriller Rollercoaster that we saw at the theater when it came out; until now...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZcXMahEU9s&feature=related[/media]

tomEisenbraun

"Tom," said Douglas, "just promise me one thing, okay?"
     "It's a promise.  What?"
     "You may be my brother and maybe I hate you sometimes, but stick around, all right?"
     "You mean you'll me follow you and the older guys when you go on hikes?"
     "Well...sure...even that.  What I mean is, don't go away, huh?  Don't let any cars run over you or fall off a cliff."
     "I should say not!  Whatta you think I am, anyway?"
     "'Cause if worst comes to worst, and both of us are real old—say forty or forty-five some day—we can own a gold mine out West and sit there smoking corn silk and growing beards."
     "Growing beards!  Boy!"
     "Like I say, you stick around and don't let nothing happen."
     "You can depend on me," said Tom.
     "It's not you I worry about," said Douglas.  "It's the way God runs the world."
     Tom thought about this for a moment.
     "He's all right, Doug," said Tom.  "He tries."

Angry Ewok

I enjoyed that, Tom. Hey, maybe we should quote the books we're reading more often? Dunno if anyone wants to hear about the Civil War, though.  :-X
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI enjoyed that, Tom. Hey, maybe we should quote the books we're reading more often? Dunno if anyone wants to hear about the Civil War, though.  :-X

Just find something that hits you and post away, my friend. Even if I'm the only one, I'll comment back. Dig?

FACE

QuoteHi Face!

My first and only exposure to Sparks was in their role as "fairground band" in the 1977 action thriller Rollercoaster that we saw at the theater when it came out; until now...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZcXMahEU9s&feature=related[/media]

they did that after kiss turned it down!

my favorite song is "amateur hour" and "funny face" (the video is awesome) but youtube took all the videos down due to copyright issues. jerks.

check it.

Isobella

QuoteOne of those books that's been sitting around for a couple of years that I finally picked up; wish I'd picked it up a while back.

If you like this you might like "Man and His Symbols" Carl Jung

pawpaw

Norman Mailer - The Deer Park

Just started this one last night...seems pretty good. Most of the characters so far are pretty horrible people...alcoholics, adulterers and pimps...should be a good time!!!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

red

ycartrob

Southerners in the United States put figures of helpful little black men on the lawn, cast in iron, and we in the North do the same with serene deer. We ask for roses on the wallpaper, Renoir above the sofa, and John Denver on the stereo. Then the aggression escapes from the bag and attacks everyone.

Bumbeli

Just read "White Nights" again, awesome as usual, and planning on rereading "In Search of lost Time" sometime soon, looking forward to that. Also read Hemingway's "For whom the Bell tolls" last friday, not very surprisingly an excellent book.

€: wrong booktitle :(
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]