Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

QuoteA business that I thought I was interviewing for today actually wants me to come in to work, at noon, and check the place out and get a feel for things. I have no clue what exactly they want from me, but it's somewhat related to my field of interest... and it is a job.

I've got some heavy anxiety, like damn... I got laid off from my old job because I was replaced by an old employee who wanted her job back and she knew the ropes better than I did. I guess I'm a slow learner, and I'm worried that I won't be able to keep up with all of the various jobs it seems they'll be throwing at me.

Two locations, working in a Studio, mixing paints, silk screening?, working on the computer (doing what?!), possibly building their website?....

I guess it's not really a "Joy" until I know I like the job.

Good Luck with that Brad!  I'll be thinking of you.  If it has anything to do with creativity, you'll knock 'em down, I know.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

megisnotreal

QuoteA business that I thought I was interviewing for today actually wants me to come in to work, at noon, and check the place out and get a feel for things. I have no clue what exactly they want from me, but it's somewhat related to my field of interest... and it is a job.

I've got some heavy anxiety, like damn... I got laid off from my old job because I was replaced by an old employee who wanted her job back and she knew the ropes better than I did. I guess I'm a slow learner, and I'm worried that I won't be able to keep up with all of the various jobs it seems they'll be throwing at me.

Two locations, working in a Studio, mixing paints, silk screening?, working on the computer (doing what?!), possibly building their website?....

I guess it's not really a "Joy" until I know I like the job.

Hope it turns out well, Brad. You've got "mad skills," so you've got nothing to worry about. Keeping you in my thoughts today.

Angry Ewok

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Angry Ewok

I did really good. As a matter of fact, I got hired on the spot and worked noon till close.

megisnotreal

QuoteI did really good. As a matter of fact, I got hired on the spot and worked noon till close.

High-five!  :D

I just finished an unnecessarily lengthy paper. Yay me.

tomEisenbraun

triple high five!

good deal.

as for me, i just pulled an all-nighter. this is going in current joys again, because during the course of this all-nighter, i got to try and watch the sunrise (doesn't work so well through rain haze) with someone pretty darn cool.

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

FarmerYoda

today, my english class went on a field trip to the Norfolk County House of Correction.

oh, so much fun. very interesting... but a tthe same tiem, very depressing...  :-/

dragonboy

Quotetoday, my english class went on a field trip to the Norfolk County House of Correction.

oh, so much fun. very interesting... but a tthe same tiem, very depressing...  :-/
The important question is was it enough to convince you to stay off the drugs?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

FarmerYoda

The important question is was it enough to convince you to stay off the drugs?

no.  :-/

but see, that's the awesomeness! we went and we knew we were gonna get the canned speech, but us; being our strong, responsible selves (?), pushed them away from all that stuff, the "if i could rewind, i'd certainly do it over" and discussed more than that! of course they told us the cliche speech that i'm sure everoyne else has recieviedt hat goes there, but i'm certain nobody talked to them like we did! i love my class, yee.  8)

now i jsut have to write my paper... i'm thinking about writing it on submissive, passive behavior within the institution, vs the more agressive behavior... looking at whether or not their identity is still within them, or whether they shy away from their true selves in order to create this more tough persona.   exploring the difference between subconsicously loosing ones' self and also being passivem, but still retaining your own identity.  i'd look at Jack Abbott and Jacobo Timmerman as polar opposites, yet tie it back to how they're both emotionally connected to ones' self and state how they're similiar that way -- but also point out how different their coping mechanisms were...

plus, this one guy we talked to there, Chance or sumfin', was one of hte more agressive types and he admited to it, explaing that he was a rebel and that he did loose himself, way back when he was thirteen (being fourty one now).  and he did this good analogy -- some guy told him that there were two dogs in his body -- a good dog and a bad dog.  he asked which dog was stronger and the man replied "whichever one you feed more".  I thought this was interesting... and so very true.  Chance, being honest, expressed to us how sorry he was but regretted nothing except still being in the institituon. he wishes he wasn't, but he knew it was totally called for.  is he loosing himself? he certainly tries to fill thsi character... but is it him?

i think it'd all be interesting, but it's certainly a ton to work with...
Meh...

tomEisenbraun

you have the entire plight of humanity on your hands there, Jenny. and it is amazing, and something certainly worth writing a paper about, but you might want to pare it down a bit towards one particular topic. because that is an awful lot to cover otherwise.

but good luck, and if you need someone to edit it for you, or if you wouldn't mind letting me read it, i would love to do either or both.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

FarmerYoda

oh yes. i'll let you know! i love this new school i'm in. i'm finally excited for long term papers!

i wrote one last month about the institution of school... i went back to visit my old elemetary school o tkae notes and observe the teaching mechanisms teachers have, and to link it with a memory from when i was part of hte enviornment. i wasn't totally happy with it just beacuse it was so blunt at times and not my best writing, but it just went so well!  8)

ycartrob

some guy told him that there were two dogs in his body -- a good dog and a bad dog.  he asked which dog was stronger and the man replied "whichever one you feed more".

Two wolves

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going
on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is
between two wolves. One is evil -- he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret,
greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false
pride, superiority, and ego.
The other is good -- he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility,
kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

This same fight is going on inside you -- and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his
grandfather, "Which wolf will win?" The old Cherokee simply replied,
"The one you feed."

FarmerYoda

Two wolves

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going
on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is
between two wolves. One is evil -- he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret,
greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false
pride, superiority, and ego.
The other is good -- he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility,
kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

This same fight is going on inside you -- and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his
grandfather, "Which wolf will win?" The old Cherokee simply replied,
"The one you feed."

THANK YOU.  :-*

megisnotreal

awesome: checking your email and finding out that all your classes for today have been canceled

primushead

Quoteawesome: checking your email and finding out that all your classes for today have been canceled

Lucky.

Angry Ewok

• Waking up well rested.
  • Getting to work earlier than my boss - nice cool morning with my iPod playing the New Orleans-vibed 'Live and Let Die' soundtrack... Great!
  • Helping print and rack over 400 prints with wet ink and only messing up a couple of times. Being told I did a great job afterwards. Woah, I've never heard that before.
  • Having the boss say he'd like me to start doing some artwork on the positives next week!
  • Being able to SMILE at work because I'm enjoying myself and what I'm accomplishing.
  • Having a good sandwich at work, and somehow falling asleep on the couch while the boss is out running errands! I didn't have any work to do at the time.
  • Going to night class despite the fact that I'm tired as hell, and seeing the teacher isn't there!
  • Realizing I'm only a few days away from seeing MMJ... Woah.
  • Having a dream that My Morning Jacket covers Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu"... Woah!!!!
  • Knowing my current art project looks AWFUL, but somehow being optimistic that I can fix it up.

megisnotreal

Yay for Brad's new job!

8)

BH

• Waking up well rested.
  • Getting to work earlier than my boss - nice cool morning with my iPod playing the New Orleans-vibed 'Live and Let Die' soundtrack... Great!
  • Helping print and rack over 400 prints with wet ink and only messing up a couple of times. Being told I did a great job afterwards. Woah, I've never heard that before.
  • Having the boss say he'd like me to start doing some artwork on the positives next week!
  • Being able to SMILE at work because I'm enjoying myself and what I'm accomplishing.
  • Having a good sandwich at work, and somehow falling asleep on the couch while the boss is out running errands! I didn't have any work to do at the time.
  • Going to night class despite the fact that I'm tired as hell, and seeing the teacher isn't there!
  • Realizing I'm only a few days away from seeing MMJ... Woah.
  • Having a dream that My Morning Jacket covers Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu"... Woah!!!!
  • Knowing my current art project looks AWFUL, but somehow being optimistic that I can fix it up.

Careful there buddy, I may have to start calling you HappyEwok. ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

Happy Ewok? Oh noesss... It's so weird being happy, though. I really miss the comfort in being miserable, it's something I'd gotten used to and almost found easier to through than to try and change, for the longest time (if that makes any sense at all). I really hope and pray that this isn't a temporary thing for me...

This weekend is going to be awesome. I've been very shy in meeting people from the forums, in the past... first really meeting anyone at the Rites of Spring, so this time around I'm really excited to get to know some of you alot better and HOPEFULLY we can even get some group photos.

What do you guys think of that? A viking horde group shot?

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteA viking horde group shot?

Sounds bitchin'
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.