Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kydiddle

QuoteGot a new kitten!  she's a cutie!

Adorable!!! Name?
Cow temperature.

pawpaw

My new office is having a potluck today. Actually, it's a warm-up for Thanksgiving, sort of a stomach stretching exercise if you will. And it's an all day thing...I just had biscuits and gravy, eggs and fruit for breakfast. Lunch we have honey baked ham, fried chicken, potatoes, posole (my offering), and a bunch of sides and salads to choose from. I'm goin' back for more biscuits and gravy now...
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Taterbug

QuoteMy new office is having a potluck today. Actually, it's a warm-up for Thanksgiving, sort of a stomach stretching exercise if you will. And it's an all day thing...I just had biscuits and gravy, eggs and fruit for breakfast. Lunch we have honey baked ham, fried chicken, potatoes, posole (my offering), and a bunch of sides and salads to choose from. I'm goin' back for more biscuits and gravy now...

I Loooove B & G.   I used to go to cracker barrel and get them every saturday, all you can eat,  until they closed it down.  My mom makes the best.  She uses my great grandmothers recipe.  I could drink the gravy all day long, or until I have chest pains.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

vespachick

Quoteposole (my offering)

AHEM. ;)
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

pawpaw

AHEM. ;)

;D You're right! OK, since I made this last night, I think I can do it from memory...here goes.

- 1/2 stick of butter (kinda a lot, but it just makes the broth taste better  ::))
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2-2.5 lb boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed, cubed into small, 0.75 inch (or so) pieces.
- 1-2 dried chipotle chilis, seeds removed, finely minced, totalling about 1 tablespoon
- About 1 tsp. oregano
- About 1 tsp. chili powder (I've also used seeded and diced pequin peppers, but only use like 2-4, because even though these are small, they are HOT. Definitely remove the seeds. Chili powder is a safe way to control the heat)
- About 1 tsp. of cumin
- Salt to taste
- 12 cups water (I've used chicken broth to cheat the taste too, and it's pretty damn good...I prefer using broth actually).
- 2, 29 oz. cans of hominy

Alright, first melt the butter in a big pot. Then cook the onion and garlic until soft, like 5 minutes. Then put in the pork and brown it, around 10 minutes. Then add the chilis and spices, and mix it all up. Then add the water or broth, bring to a boil, and then simmer for at least two hours, though 3 is better. Add water if liquid gets low. Add hominy about an hour into the simmer. Serve garnished with any or all of the following: chopped cabbage, sliced raddish, diced onion, cilantro, cheese, tortilla pieces...

That's about it! Finally, eh' VC?!?! ::)

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

TEO

QuoteMy new office is having a potluck today. Actually, it's a warm-up for Thanksgiving, sort of a stomach stretching exercise if you will. And it's an all day thing...I just had biscuits and gravy, eggs and fruit for breakfast. Lunch we have honey baked ham, fried chicken, potatoes, posole (my offering), and a bunch of sides and salads to choose from. I'm goin' back for more biscuits and gravy now...
Best B&G I ever had was prepared by a hog farmer. The stuff in the restaurants does not even compare in my book.   :)  Off to my dry multi-grain Cheerios topped off with a locally grown apple.   ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

vespachick

AHEM. ;)

;D You're right! OK, since I made this last night, I think I can do it from memory...here goes.

- 1/2 stick of butter (kinda a lot, but it just makes the broth taste better  ::))
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2-2.5 lb boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed, cubed into small, 0.75 inch (or so) pieces.
- 1-2 dried chipotle chilis, seeds removed, finely minced, totalling about 1 tablespoon
- About 1 tsp. oregano
- About 1 tsp. chili powder (I've also used seeded and diced pequin peppers, but only use like 2-4, because even though these are small, they are HOT. Definitely remove the seeds. Chili powder is a safe way to control the heat)
- About 1 tsp. of cumin
- Salt to taste
- 12 cups water (I've used chicken broth to cheat the taste too, and it's pretty damn good...I prefer using broth actually).
- 2, 29 oz. cans of hominy

Alright, first melt the butter in a big pot. Then cook the onion and garlic until soft, like 5 minutes. Then put in the pork and brown it, around 10 minutes. Then add the chilis and spices, and mix it all up. Then add the water or broth, bring to a boil, and then simmer for at least two hours, though 3 is better. Add water if liquid gets low. Add hominy about an hour into the simmer. Serve garnished with any or all of the following: chopped cabbage, sliced raddish, diced onion, cilantro, cheese, tortilla pieces...

That's about it! Finally, eh' VC?!?! ::)

YAY!  Thanks B!! [smiley=beer.gif]  I'll let you know how it goes.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

purvis9876

Dude Looks Like a Lady just came on the radio. Thank goodness this thing has an "off" function.  ;D
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

FACE

new band just recorded three new songs. have a show december 22. nice nice nice nice nice. updates to come!

please welcome the surprisers into your ears, soon enough.
(inspired by felt, television personalities, shockabilly, Stock Aitken and Waterman.)
we're going to the middle.

getinthevan

Quotenew band just recorded three new songs. have a show december 22. nice nice nice nice nice. updates to come!

please welcome the surprisers into your ears, soon enough.
(inspired by felt, television personalities, shockabilly, Stock Aitken and Waterman.)
we're going to the middle.

I'm looking forward to hearing it!

My sort of new band, (I've been making music with these guys for years) is recording right now.  It's definitely a new experience writing parts as we record.  We should be finishing drums for the 6th song tonight.  Then we have less than a month to record guitar, bass, and vocals, a lot of which are written but not really practiced.  I love doing things like this.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

FACE

tomEisenbraun

from http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=mustache :

mustache
1585, from Fr. moustache, from It. mostaccio, from Medieval Gk. moustakion, dim. of Doric mystax (gen. mystakos) "upper lip, mustache," related to mastax "jaws, mouth," lit. "that with which one chews," from PIE base *mnto- "mouth" (see mouth). Borrowed earlier (1551) as mostacchi, from the It. word or its Sp. derivative mostacho. The plural form of this, mustachios, lingers in English. Dutch slang has a useful noun, de befborstel, to refer to the mustache specifically as a tool for stimulating the clitoris; probably from beffen "to stimulate the clitoris with the tongue."

You learn something new everyday...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Sparkle

Went to the most spectacular Ryan Adams & the Cards show last night - they were brilliant and Ryan was in very happy mood. Ah, it was great  :) :)

tomEisenbraun

Feeling pret-ty damn good about dropping 25 pounds and 3 inches in the waist over the course of the last month and a half. Looking good again!

Anyone have any good tips for daily exercise that can be done within the confines of an apartment that'll keep the body relatively toned up? Sit-ups, pushups, smoking, etc? I never bothered to learn too much about what these all keep in tone (besides the obvious), but I've been thinking about dropping a little cash on a doorframe pullup bar, too.

dragonboy

QuoteFeeling pret-ty damn good about dropping 25 pounds and 3 inches in the waist over the course of the last month and a half. Looking good again!

Anyone have any good tips for daily exercise that can be done within the confines of an apartment that'll keep the body relatively toned up? Sit-ups, pushups, smoking, etc? I never bothered to learn too much about what these all keep in tone (besides the obvious), but I've been thinking about dropping a little cash on a doorframe pullup bar, too.
Good for you Tom! I'm trying to shed a few pounds before I go home for Xmas...

You can't go wrong with a good set of dumbbells, so much you can do with them.

Not sure about home-works but this is a great site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

Most sites are trying to sell you something but this one has heaps of info on diet/training etc
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

Training @ home with the bare essentials: http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/ben1.htm

tomEisenbraun

It's never too early for a WFPK My Morning Jacket Christmas!

red

I'M ALIVE!!!  Here's a taste of what has happened in my week of internet exile...

I survived my move to Saskatoon and am settling in nicely.  Found a job yesterday at an independent coffee shop with two locations in the city, can't wait to start.  The staff is comprised of gents who look like they could be in any number of my favourite bands and ladies who look like they frequent bookstores far too much.  Heaven!  I've got a pretty killer basement suite with great young couple as landlords.  No internet connection as of yet, though.    

Helping out one of my landlord's father tonight - he's pretty much the coolest gent I've ever met...And he's promised to introduce me to his 21 year old daughter when she's home from abroad, so I'm trying to get in tight you see.   ;D  Checking out The Sadies tonight and rumour has it that their father's band - the excellent Good Brothers - will be making a special appearance.  I'm crazy excited.  

Now, how are you?   :)

TEO

I am doing GREAT Kaley! Looks like things are picking up quite well for you young man. Good things come to good people....... :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary