Current Joys

Started by ycartrob, Aug 22, 2006, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peafunk31

This pic was taken the 1st time she heard Rubber Soul. As you can see, mind = blown  :cool:

I may very well have to update my avatar!
Homer no function beer well without.

ManNamedTruth

Package arrived from Fiddlecastro today. It Makes No Difference RSD and a WFPK performance CD-R. People of the forum are so helpful!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Fully

Today we finished a week of state-mandated standardized tests. I'm very relieved to be done with it. Whatever grades my students make on it (and thus my grade as an effective teacher if I believe their secret formula mumbo jumbo and the validity of their tests) is now completely out of my hands until next semester when an entirely different crop of students takes them. I suppose relief and joy are similar enough, eh?

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Fully on Dec 13, 2012, 04:02 PM
Today we finished a week of state-mandated standardized tests. I'm very relieved to be done with it. Whatever grades my students make on it (and thus my grade as an effective teacher if I believe their secret formula mumbo jumbo and the validity of their tests) is now completely out of my hands until next semester when an entirely different crop of students takes them. I suppose relief and joy are similar enough, eh?

Don't you just love what Dubyah did for education in this country?

I know you've probably mentioned it before on here, but what grade do you teach?  My wife teaches 4th grade and they are a key grade for one of many Ohio state mandated tests and they happen every spring so they get to spend the whole year basically teaching to the test?!  :rolleyes:

Fully

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Dec 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
Quote from: Fully on Dec 13, 2012, 04:02 PM

Don't you just love what Dubyah did for education in this country?

I know you've probably mentioned it before on here, but what grade do you teach?  My wife teaches 4th grade and they are a key grade for one of many Ohio state mandated tests and they happen every spring so they get to spend the whole year basically teaching to the test?!  :rolleyes:
I teach sophomore and senior lit. My tenth grade scores along with the Algebra II scores are what form the entire school's growth score. We have to show adequate yearly progress. I have some doubts that the test is even an accurate measure or a fair test. The practice test typically has several poorly written questions on it along with several questions where one could make a good argument for another answer than the one the test prep company says is correct even though all the teachers I know disagree with it. We aren't allowed to see the actual test that is given to the kids because we can't be trusted or the testing company is hiding the fact that the test has bad questions on it. The tests count 25 percent of a student's final grade, and with stakes that high for a kid, they really ought to be accurate.

johnnYYac

Don't get me started.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Currently:

NY and Boston so close
My cat
Jeff Tweedy existing
That long embrace that Waters and Vedder has last night.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Dec 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
Currently:

NY and Boston so close
My cat
Jeff Tweedy existing
That long embrace that Waters and Vedder has last night.

I'm beginning to imagine that you will soon be writing slash fanfiction about that embrace. It's ok, we all have our secret vices. :grin:  (If you don't know what that is, go to fanfiction.net and look up stuff labeled as slash. The GNR Slash has nothing to do with it, by the way) Oh, gosh, I think I'm going to have to go write it now  :evil:

ffghtrs

Also in no particular order,

the kindness on this board,

my family,

my cats,

my music,

ee cummings

Chuck Palahniuk

sleep that is evading me

hunger

and Tarantino
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

MamaKel

[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]
By E. E. Cummings
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
                                                      i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

I've been reading some e.e. cummings lately...he is as enjoyable as cats are wise and lazy. 

(I went to a home with 5 cats today. It was a little piece of heaven.)

Quote from: ffghtrs on Dec 16, 2012, 07:29 AM
Also in no particular order,

the kindness on this board,

my family,

my cats,

my music,

ee cummings

Chuck Palahniuk

sleep that is evading me

hunger

and Tarantino

touchingmept2

I'm genuinely happy about the holidays. I just can't wait for the cheesy xmas sweater party. Or getting to volunteer at Families Feeding Families. And getting to make some coquito. If you don't know coquito is, take this as a warning of possible addiction. :beer:
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

Fully

I'm meeting up with a friend who I haven't seen in twenty-six years today for lunch. And yesterday I went out to lunch with some girls who graduated high school last year. It was fun catching up with them, but it's always neat to see how they've grown and changed in just a semester of college. Also, my youngest daughter woke up this morning with black magic marker on her eyebrows for some reason. She looked just like Groucho Marx. She kills me.

lil sis

The year that I truly believed was the worst year of my life has really turned a corner the past few months.  I am so, so grateful for all of the good things that have been coming my way.  I was at a pretty low point during the northeast trifecta shows this summer and the wonderful people that are my MMJ family (and my real family, ynwa) were amazingly supportive and really helped me get through a difficult time.  I can't wait to see you all next week in Port Chester and give you all big hugs!!  :smiley:
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

tdb810

Quote from: lil sis on Dec 21, 2012, 10:25 AM
The year that I truly believed was the worst year of my life has really turned a corner the past few months.  I am so, so grateful for all of the good things that have been coming my way.  I was at a pretty low point during the northeast trifecta shows this summer and the wonderful people that are my MMJ family (and my real family, ynwa) were amazingly supportive and really helped me get through a difficult time.  I can't wait to see you all next week in Port Chester and give you all big hugs!!  :smiley:
YAY YAY YAY! xoxoxo
.....Back at the Model Home

Ruckus

Quote from: tdb810 on Dec 22, 2012, 03:05 AM
YAY YAY YAY! xoxoxo
happy!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

headhunter

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 22, 2012, 03:27 AM
Quote from: tdb810 on Dec 22, 2012, 03:05 AM
YAY YAY YAY! xoxoxo
happy!

Looking forward to sharing some big hugs and a rail spot right next to you!
was some shakin' and some record playin'

lucylew

Just found out Alice in Chains have a new album coming out this spring.  Which means tour.  Which means I'll be spending some quality time with Jerry Cantrell in 2013!

weeniebeenie

Sorry I haven't been posting in a while.

Current joy: I'm off work for a few weeks so I can hang out at home and eat lots of Christmas ham, watch The Hobbit and read all the books piling up on my bedside! Oh and wait with eager anticipation for that Soundgarden video clip Dave Grohl is directing.
How loud can silence get?

johnnYYac

A rare night out with Michele.  A delicious meal (duck!) and beer, then to Symphony Hall for... Louis CK!

Same place where MMJ played with Boston Pops in 2006!

http://youtu.be/OKXMLdRBA2Q
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Loress

Snowy mountaintops

Swimming and twisting my body in all sorts of ways in water feels goood :)

Wildlife (my passion/field)

Buck 65's radio show while cooking supper

Sir Microcosm

Spending more time at home having fires, reading & playing records
These pretzels are making me thirsty.