Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Great World Baseball Classic game last night in Toronto. The US squeaked by with a 6-5 win over Canada. That was one of the best games I've ever been at, regardless of the outcome in any sport. The crowd was incredible and the Canadians did Canada and the game of baseball proud. It all came down to pitching and there's only so far a roster with mostly minor leaguers can take you, but they did an admirable job nonetheless. Canada has a really good batting order with Joey Votto, Russell Martin, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Matt Stairs and Mark Teahan. I loved hearing 42-thousand booing Jeter and razzing Larry "Chipper" Jones.

Anyway, I'm going to the US-Venezuela game tonight and I think I'll boo Jeter just for old time's sake.

.Walt

Didn't get to watch the US v Can, sounds like I missed out. Nothing wrong with booing Jeter.

I am watching the game right now, and seeing Dunn's bomb made me feel good. Haven't seen a homerun that big in a while. Jimmy Rollins was talking live to the broadcasters, and all he said was...Oh...My...Goodness.

Also, last night I got to see the progress of the twins new stadium. things are looking good.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

capt. scotty

QuoteGreat World Baseball Classic game last night in Toronto. The US squeaked by with a 6-5 win over Canada. That was one of the best games I've ever been at, regardless of the outcome in any sport. The crowd was incredible and the Canadians did Canada and the game of baseball proud. It all came down to pitching and there's only so far a roster with mostly minor leaguers can take you, but they did an admirable job nonetheless. Canada has a really good batting order with Joey Votto, Russell Martin, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Matt Stairs and Mark Teahan. I loved hearing 42-thousand booing Jeter and razzing Larry "Chipper" Jones.

Anyway, I'm going to the US-Venezuela game tonight and I think I'll boo Jeter just for old time's sake.

Does 'Chipper' really need to be in quotes at this point?!?!! Is his first name worth mentioning?  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jbones72

QuoteGreat World Baseball Classic game last night in Toronto. The US squeaked by with a 6-5 win over Canada. That was one of the best games I've ever been at, regardless of the outcome in any sport. The crowd was incredible and the Canadians did Canada and the game of baseball proud. It all came down to pitching and there's only so far a roster with mostly minor leaguers can take you, but they did an admirable job nonetheless. Canada has a really good batting order with Joey Votto, Russell Martin, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Matt Stairs and Mark Teahan. I loved hearing 42-thousand booing Jeter and razzing Larry "Chipper" Jones.

Does 'Chipper' really need to be in quotes at this point?!?!! Is his first name worth mentioning?  ;D

I still love that he named one of his kids Shea!

Ruckus

How was the game last night Jaimoe?  Not the same crowd that the US/Canada game drew huh.  So far so good for the U.S.  It's so hard to root for the Pedroia/Youkilis right side of the IF.s

I doubt that anyone got up to watch the Japan/S. Korea game like I did but what a beautiful 1-0 ballgame it was.  Although S. Korea made a couple of silly baserunning blunders, overall it was a well played, well pitched, well defended game with a great crowd. :)

Now if Orestes Destrade would stop showing off his poor Japanese and stop talking about his experience playing in Japan.....Ok, Ok, he was not too bad overall.  I remember going to see him play back in 1990 for the Seibu Lions.  
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jaimoe

QuoteHow was the game last night Jaimoe?  Not the same crowd that the US/Canada game drew huh.  So far so good for the U.S.  It's so hard to root for the Pedroia/Youkilis right side of the IF.s

I doubt that anyone got up to watch the Japan/S. Korea game like I did but what a beautiful 1-0 ballgame it was.  Although S. Korea made a couple of silly baserunning blunders, overall it was a well played, well pitched, well defended game with a great crowd. :)

Now if Orestes Destrade would stop showing off his poor Japanese and stop talking about his experience playing in Japan.....Ok, Ok, he was not too bad overall.  I remember going to see him play back in 1990 for the Seibu Lions.  

I stuck it out until the 7th.

I don't expect any more big crowds except for Canada-Venuezuela on Wednesday (but it won't be no 42,000 like on Saturday).

Ruckus

Sorry about Canada Jaimoe.  It really is tough in these one game dealamajigs.

On a positive note, how about them Dutch?!  Let me rephrase.  How bout them Dutch Caribbean Colonies?!

Jaimoe

QuoteSorry about Canada Jaimoe.  It really is tough in these one game dealamajigs.

On a positive note, how about them Dutch?!  Let me rephrase.  How bout them Dutch Caribbean Colonies?!

When 4 world class starters choose not to play for Canada and Baseball Canada plus manager Ernie Witt (former Blue jays great) decided to rest our best starter until game 3 (but that never materialized) was nothing short of a disaster. With our best pitcher, Canada would have beaten the US since it all came down to pitching and the Italian game disgrace would never have happened.

Ruckus

MickeyReds

World Fucking Champions! ;D
As long as you keep a straight face...

Ruckus

QuoteWorld Fucking Champions! ;D
Yup!

I hope that at least one other person watched this INCREDIBLE game.  I've never seen anything like it from the pitch to pitch pressure, the fan energy, the unique strategies employed and some of the best defense anyone has ever seen.

In a span of 3 innings, 2 strike 'em out throw 'em outs, an extraordinary 180 foot DP by the Koreans with an amazing turn and throw by the 2B, maybe the best single OF play I have ever seen when Uchikawa, the Japanese LF sprinted to the line, slid to short hop a hard linedrive near the line and the wall, popped up in one motion and threw a one hop strike to 2nd.  The fluidity, speed and precision of the play was 2nd to none.  The Korean SS basically busting the entire right side of his face on a head first slide that shattered his helmet after smashing into the Japanese players leg at 2nd on the tag.

Too amazing a game to believe and my hats of to both teams.  Of course I was rooting for the Japanese but in the end it really wouldn't have mattered.  What an exhibition of baseball.

Jaimoe

The promotion and schedule of most of these games didn't help promote this otherwise great tournament. I missed the game since it was on too late (I had to be up at 5:45 today). Still, I'm glad the US didn't make it into the final, although it would have been good for future tournaments if they made it. Looked like a good game (from the highlights).

.Walt

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jaimoe

Halladay in his 7th straight opening day start tonight against the Tigers. Geddy Lee is in his normal seat behind home plate. I love that baseball is back. It may be a tough year for the Jays though.

Leontheslut

Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

EAZYE

looks like the yanks got their money's worth from c.c. today :-?

LET'S GO BOSOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

Leontheslut

Even if C.C. pitched a perfect game today he still isn't worth his contract. He'll likely go the way of Dontrell Willis before CY Young.  ;)
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

EAZYE

He'll be lucky if he wins 15 games.  Dude throws way to much
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

Leontheslut

Everybody just over-hyped him towards the end of last season. I guess they had some right to do it, he was pitching every third game. But that's baseball... sometimes you're hot and most of the time or warm or cold. The way everyone was talking I thought he would totally shut down the Phils in the playoffs. But of course they took C.C. to school. I think it was the game Victorino hit a grand slam in the second inning.

capt. scotty

Pirates down 4-3 to the Cardinals in the 9th, 2 outs, bases loaded....Jack Wilson hits a 3-Run double and the Buccos win 6-4

LETS GO BUCS  :D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons