Beer Thread

Started by el_chode, Jan 08, 2009, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

QuoteOK, so when's the first forum beer tasting?   ;D :D :)

I think we had it on NYE   ;D

I'm mad I missed out on that. I went MIA from the forum for like a year and a half during my exile to Delaware.
I'm surrounded by assholes

dragonboy

QuoteYou septics don't know shit about good beer!  ;)

Anything by Badger Ales (Poachers Choice, Golden Champion, Golden Glory, Blandford Fly etc)
http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/

Youngs (Directors, London Special Ale, Oatmeal Stout)
http://www.youngs.co.uk/

Fullers (ESB, London Pride, London Glory, Honey Dew)
http://www.fullers.co.uk/

+ Green King IPA, Old Speckled Hen, Abbot Ale, John Smith's if there's nothing else...

I like Budvar & Pilsner Urquell. I drank some fantastic beers in in the Czech Republic, can't remember the names of any of them.

Kinfisher, Cobra & Maharaja are all good.

Sam Adams is my fav US beer, I enjoyed Fat Tire when I was there last year, Brooklyn Lager is good too...

Ah dragon, you had me and you lost me...   ;)
;D Sorry ALady...what US beers should I be drinking?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ALady

Ha!  Just teasing, dragon.  Although the list of delicious US brews we've been compiling here seems a good place to start...   ;)

I love Young's Oatmeal Stout and Fullers ESB, by the way...excellent picks!   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

mjkoehler

QuoteLike Jaimoe I enjoy Kronnenberg, it's just hard as fuck to find.

Not sure where you are, but they serve Kronenbourg at the bar in the Sofitel Hotel in Philadelphia.  I know because I had, er, more than one on New Year's Eve eve.  ;)
Damn, apparently I need to get to Phili more. I'm in St Louis and I've yet to find it any place here. I did finally find a place online to buy it.

NoVa_NoLa

Enjoying a Clipper City Winter Storm "Category 5" Ale tonight.  It's described as an Imperial ESB...7.5%

If you like winter ale's, check this one out.  It's dark like you would expect, but starts out almost sweet; the finish is on the hoppy side, but not anything too bitter.  No hints of the high alcohol.

Yay beer!  :)

NoVa_NoLa

Quotesome favourites, mainly Belgian:

http://www.hoegaarden.com/_img/verbvrucht.png

:)  Hoegaarden is a favorite of mine also...

Jbones72

I've always liked Sam, especially the Dark Stout and Cherry Wheat, I may have to go pick some up before I get snowed in here tomorrow afternoon!

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI've always liked Sam, especially the Dark Stout and Cherry Wheat, I may have to go pick some up before I get snowed in here tomorrow afternoon!

You are the first person I've ever heard say they like Sam's Cherry Wheat.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Jbones72

QuoteI've always liked Sam, especially the Dark Stout and Cherry Wheat, I may have to go pick some up before I get snowed in here tomorrow afternoon!

not the first time i 've heard that!

this place is really good if your ever in williamsburg.

Mugs Ale House
125 Bedford Avenue
Corner of N 10th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211

mjkoehler

Nothing wrong with Cherry Wheat once in a while.

capt. scotty

And Stoudts is great beer, as is Troegs, especially their Mad Elf seasonal.

This is 1 of the few beers Ive ever cracked and couldnt finish...tasted gross to me
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

I cant stand the Cherry Wheat. 1 of only a few SA's (Scotch Ale, Black Lager) that I simply cannot drink, and I like beers like Blue Moon or Pumpkin Ales.

And whoever said Sam is swill - No Way!! Sure theres better beer, but I cant think of any brewery that typically sells better beer that is available in every state across teh US.

Their new Irish Red is pretty good, and I like their Honey Porter a lot, which has only been around a couple of years.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

This is 1 of the few beers Ive ever cracked and couldnt finish...tasted gross to me

Ahh, see, Mad Elf is brewed with Cherries, so if you don't like Cherry Wheat, you wouldn't like the Elf either
I'm surrounded by assholes

aMillionDreams

I'm a late comer to this thread some this might get lengthy.  

I'm going to try to make a list
1) dogfishhead 90 minute IPA - I think that's my favorite, hands down.  I love a lot of dfh, including the one with raisins in the brewing process, can't remember the name
2) Celebrator - Germam dopplebock.  Necture of the gods
3) Fat Tire - It's getting closer to home being introduced in TN this year, I've been able to get my hands on a few.  I love this beer.  Fat tire on tap at Red Rocks was like a dream come true! New Belgium other brews are VERY good as well.
TIE 4) Boulder Brewing Company - Hazed and Infused Dry-Hopped Ale and Boulder Brewing Company Mojo Risin' IPA - both great tasting and very hoppy.
5) Boddington's - the first beer on my list you can see through, I think.  I think this is the smoothest beer possible.  I  usually take one down in 3 or 4 swallows.  Good stuff!

Re: BBC here in Louisville, I think they blow Cumberland out of the water, because that's all I really taste in Cumberland's "brews" is water.  BBC's bottled beer isn't true to what you get on tap at the restaurant but it's still pretty good.

Re: Sam Adams - I think they make great beers despite their scale and they are a decent company despite their wealth and there's a lot to be said for that.  Last year there was a world-wide shortage of hops (seriously) and Sam Adams sold off some of the gobs of hops they had laying around to microbrewers across the country for the same cost they got them for.  Most companies would try to squeeze out the competition, Sam Adams wants as much good beer to be at the party as possible.  I really like their homebrewer packs and seasonals
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

tower

QuoteI'm a late comer to this thread some this might get lengthy.  

I'm going to try to make a list
1) dogfishhead 90 minute IPA - I think that's my favorite, hands down.  I love a lot of dfh, including the one with raisins in the brewing process, can't remember the name
2) Celebrator - Germam dopplebock.  Necture of the gods
3) Fat Tire - It's getting closer to home being introduced in TN this year, I've been able to get my hands on a few.  I love this beer.  Fat tire on tap at Red Rocks was like a dream come true! New Belgium other brews are VERY good as well.
TIE 4) Boulder Brewing Company - Hazed and Infused Dry-Hopped Ale and Boulder Brewing Company Mojo Risin' IPA - both great tasting and very hoppy.
5) Boddington's - the first beer on my list you can see through, I think.  I think this is the smoothest beer possible.  I  usually take one down in 3 or 4 swallows.  Good stuff!

Re: BBC here in Louisville, I think they blow Cumberland out of the water, because that's all I really taste in Cumberland's "brews" is water.  BBC's bottled beer isn't true to what you get on tap at the restaurant but it's still pretty good.

Re: Sam Adams - I think they make great beers despite their scale and they are a decent company despite their wealth and there's a lot to be said for that.  Last year there was a world-wide shortage of hops (seriously) and Sam Adams sold off some of the gobs of hops they had laying around to microbrewers across the country for the same cost they got them for.  Most companies would try to squeeze out the competition, Sam Adams wants as much good beer to be at the party as possible.  I really like their homebrewer packs and seasonals

Dylan,
Just because you like the 90 min IPA I guess I'm going to have to try those boulder brewing co. beers, don't think I've had either of those.  Although I'm not a big fan of the Fat Tire...had it out in CO this summer and didn't impress me.

I never seem to get a lot of full flavor out of BBC beer although like I said the Organic IPA is damn good if you can find it.  It's seasonal and I saw it last year on tap at the 4th Street location.

Sam Adams never does anything for me.

I was mentioning to Kory on Facebook about this place out here in Shelbyville called Sergios http://sergiosworldbeers.com  It's a total craphole but the guy has over 834 beers and some awesome ones on tap that rotate.  Let me know if you ever want to check it out, it's not far from my house.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

tower

According to his web site this is what Sergio has on tap currently.  The Avery replaced Loose Cannon IPA...I personally helped that transition.  He's moving to Middletown in the fall, not sure where though.

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron
Avery IPA
Fantome de Noel
Grimbergen Dubbel
Alltech Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
Gouden Carolus Christmas
Brooklyn Monster Ale 2006
Dogfish Head Midas Touch
Chouffe Nice
Ommegang Three Philosophers
Van Honsebrouck Kasteel Rouge
Blue Moon
Chimay Triple
Bud Light
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

Ahh, see, Mad Elf is brewed with Cherries, so if you don't like Cherry Wheat, you wouldn't like the Elf either

Hmm...I dont remember cherries much, I just remember it being real heavy with maybe a chocolate or coffee taste to it. Maybe with a hint of cherry, but that wasnt why I didnt like it.

I like a lot of darker/heavier beers when Im in the mood, but just did not like that 1.

I liked a few other Troeg's Ive had, but overall didnt think too much of their brews.

Much prefer other PA micros like aforementioned Victory, Weyerbacher, and Stoudt's

Church Brewworks in Pittsburgh (they're brewery/restaurant is actually inside an old church) has a few good ones as well

Ghosts_on_TV

I cant stand the Cherry Wheat. 1 of only a few SA's (Scotch Ale, Black Lager) that I simply cannot drink, and I like beers like Blue Moon or Pumpkin Ales.

And whoever said Sam is swill - No Way!! Sure theres better beer, but I cant think of any brewery that typically sells better beer that is available in every state across teh US.

Their new Irish Red is pretty good, and I like their Honey Porter a lot, which has only been around a couple of years.

I like Sam a lot. I think the original Boston Lager is the best though. The Boston Ale is decent as well.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Taxman

Quotesome favourites, mainly Belgian:

http://www.hoegaarden.com/_img/verbvrucht.png

:)  Hoegaarden is a favorite of mine also...

Nice...!
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver